It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Nov 2021, 09:42 • #1 
Sport
Hi All,

Wanted to pick your brain on this. We all know the Daiwa 500c, Micron and Orvis 50a as premier UL reels for threadlining.
I had a 500c and it served its purpose, but I found it lacking in braid management. These days, I often use 2-4lb test braid with a leader, and the line lay on these guys leaves a lot to be desired.

That said, does anyone have any recommendations on older spinning reels that would be capable of handling some of the finest braid we have out on the market?
To clarify, I'm not really looking for anything made before the year 2000, nor am I looking for the latest and greatest Vanford or Stella. I have a budget of around $100, and hoping to get my hands on a reel made in from 1995-2015 that would complement the threadlining ideology... I've been looking at reels such as the ultegra, sedona, etc. I know all of these reels are reliable, but I'd like to hear this forum's opinions on what reels they felt were TRUE gems from this era.

Thanks!
K

Last edited by kaiser on 08 Nov 2021, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

Post 08 Nov 2021, 10:24 • #2 
Piscator
All traditional spinning spools are deep.
You can make a spool arbor with cork - reels like Cardinal 3 that have aftermarket spool arbors offered are beyond your budget.
Stacking line is your best bet - fill the spool mostly with coarse braid and finish with fine.
You also need a good ball-bearing line roller if you want to fish modern braid - Shimano's is about the worst - I upgrade the line roller on all my Shimano reels with MTCW.

If you want a great $45 reel, look at Tica Cetus.
This one threadlined in the salt for 10 hard years before I retired it for Stradic and Vanquish.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 09 Nov 2021, 01:26, edited 2 times in total.

Post 08 Nov 2021, 16:22 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
mitchell 308 came with a shallow spool that holds 100yd 4lb nylon. I use that for my braid fishing, a 1974 model of the 308 with the planamatic gearing, which gives an excellent line lay for braid too. Currently have 8lb Daiwa J-braid on there, works well.

Also in that era of pre-2000, the Shakespeare Sigma ck 2200 in sizes 025 and 030. Mine is in a long queue of reels not yet serviced so I haven't fished it to test with braid..
Made in Japan but.

Another reel I like the looks of, the Abu Cardinal 752 and 753. Those are also in the servicing queue..

an oddity, the Zebco PS2. It's very light (and cheap), fishing here with 10lb Spiderwire braid, it manages fine.

Post 09 Nov 2021, 22:28 • #4 
Guide
I was and am still very happy with my Saharas $75 ish and upgraded with extra bearings.

Post 01 Jan 2022, 18:19 • #5 
I've bought a couple early-mid 70s Daiwa 7250RLAs, a 7250HRLA (higher retrieve ratio), and a little 7150HRL,which are easy to convert to right hand crank, for us lefties. These are excellent small spinning reels. The 7150HRL is a true ultralight reel, and was produced pretty close to the transition to the modern skirted spool era.

I went through them completely, used a Fred Oakes-recommended blend of Cal's purple (for use in colder conditions) universal reel grease and synthetic oil on the innards. I made and installed carbon fiber drag discs, greased with Cal's universal grease (the original, tan synthetic grease), per Alan Tani's practice.These reels are routinely dissed by most, but are as durable and smooth as any Mitchell. Actually, they're smoother than virtually all Mitchells. And I'm a sentimental sucker for my Mitchel 305s, my 309, my 301s, my 407 and my herking big 403 with the goofy-ass anti-clockwise drag set up. The only reason I put DAM Quicks in a different uber category with Penn greenies, is their machined bronze gearing (main and pinion). Like the Mitchells and Italian made Orvises, the Daiwas have cast alloy main gears. As with the Penn Spinfishers and Quicks, It's significantly easier to upgrade the drags on the Daiwas than the Mitchells. The Daiwa pinion gears are brass (bronze?), and are supported by a ball bearing like the Penns and DAM Quicks. The spool shaft is supported all the way through the back of the housing on the 7250s, and some of their bigger reels. Also, you can adjust the line lay on the spool with braid using different thickness washers on the spool shaft under the spool. Every Daiwa spinner I've ever bought and reconditioned has had a strong, positive bail spring.

Daiwa made a dizzying array of different spinning reels with different approaches to the internals, and also sold them under different brands like Horrocks-Ibotson. Earlier Daiwas are mostly left hand crank only, with smaller numbers made for us lefties, and their housings are sorta' squarish, not sleeker ovoid or triangular like Mitchells, Itlalian made Orvises and DAM Quicks. Their colors are somewhat...different. A brownish red was common, but my 7250s and the 7150 are silver. There were goldish/brass color examples, even metallic blue. Goofy. Parts are made from unobtanium, so I only buy intact reels with good finishes. In the vintage car world they call 'em survivors. Lack of parts availability is a significant downside to vintage Daiwas, but neglected, under-used examples are common, somewhat mitigating the parts issue. However, Daiwas clean up and fish really well. I haven't needed any replacement parts for the ones I've acquired and reconditioned, other than my carbon fiber drag disc hot-rodding.

I run the 12 pound test Berkely Nanofil on my Daiwa 7250s and the 7150. Line lay is great, and can be tweaked as needed. You can find these reels for about $20.00, and I've never paid more than $30.00. You can find zillions of 80s-90s Daiwa skirted spool spinners for cheap, which is also a great way to go as a value proposition for a competent, low-dollar ultra-light spinning reel.

New Topic Add Reply