It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:16

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Dec 2008, 12:00 • #1 
Master Guide
Is lithium (sp) a good grease to use for spinning reel internal gears. I've heard that it is much smoother in colder weather than other greases without the harder cranking? All opinions welcome esp. from those up north.

Ray ...

Post 05 Dec 2008, 12:36 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
never, NEVER, it will decompose, break down and eat the inside of your aluminum or pot metal real body, on steel it can attract condensation and salt water and cause rusting. Spinning reels have lots of moving parts, I like the old Conolon Silicote Grease and oil and use it exclusively and have for nearly 40 years on all my big reels. Its somewhat expensive and you could use an ounce on a reel with lots of case and gear space. However its alot like Bulldogs favorite soup, it retains its flexability forever, temperatures between minus 70 degrees and plus 200 degrees dont effect its consistancy much, its stable and at around $10 an ounce very cost effective.
Now Im gonna worry you some, depending on if its salt water use or fresh water and the degree of use. The reels I use alot, especially Salt Water are completely taken apart and cleaned and relubricated at the end of each season. Same holds true with the line on the spools, they are stripped, put on a 3 inch PVC pipe with lots of holes drilled through, washed in warm soapy dishwater, rinsed and let dry before respooling just before fishing season. The spools are cleaned carefully and waxed with a good automotive natural wax (Carnuba it breaths not Silicone based which doesnt) Ive been fishing some of the same and some really big salt water spinning reels like the Mitchell 498 for nearly 30 years and the reels are perfect and I have the pictures to prove it. On those big guys Im fishing 50# power pro braided, and some of those tuna go 100 pounds, so they are not lightly used outfits.
Same holds true for some my medium sized outfits, I like the smaller 396 pum european model reels and using the same Power Pro but now 20# for salmon, steelhead and strippers. In the semi small stuff I use the 406 Pum with again power pro 20# just a smaller spool capacity. I also use Cajun Red for my slighty lighter leader line (20-30ft) it streaches and you can avoid shock breaks at the take because the power pro doesn't streach. On teethy fish I use shorter 18Inch to 36 inch clear coated wire leaders and dont worry about the streach.
However in all cases my 408s through my 498s all are lubricated and cleaned in exactly the same way.
Richard

Post 05 Dec 2008, 12:52 • #3 
Administrator
The best reel lubricant is Quantum Hot Sauce. You can find it at Cabela's or BassPro. If you feel obliged to use something else, pick one of the lubricants made for fishing reels, like the Penn Lube. If the grease in your reels is getting gummy and hard to crank, clean out the old gunk and replace it with new. Just adding new grease won't help in the long run.

DON'T use lithium grease! This stuff WILL slowly break down to leave lithium hydroxide residues behind. Lithium hydroxide can damage the aluminum. While you are at it, don't use: automotive bearing grease, automatic transmission fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, axle grease, wagon grease, bacon grease, 3-in-1 oil, mineral oil, multiweight oil, mink oil, seal oil, boot oil, whale oil, automotive engine oil, two-cycle chain saw oil, baby oil, KY jelly, Astro Glide, or other personal lubricants. In otherwords, if it isn't designed for a reel, skip it. If you spent good money to buy the reel, spend just a little more to care for it properly. A tube of Hot Sauce grease or bottle Hot Sauce oil goes a long way.

Tom

Post 05 Dec 2008, 12:59 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Toms got it right too,I use the hot sauce grease and oil on my fly reels exclusively, but they dont take much either, however the Garcia Silicote is similiar and designed for the same fishing reel applications, its not real cheap at $10 an ounce but its a bit cheaper than the hot sauce,thats why I use it on my high grease capacity spinning reels. The Hot Sauce is great by the way on big Conventional reels, they dont take alot of grease or oil like the big open cased and muti gear setups of the big spinning outfits.
Richard

Post 06 Dec 2008, 03:54 • #5 
Guide

Tom & Golden Trout are exactly correct about NOT using lithium grease or 10W40 either for that matter. I use the Garcia Silicote on my reels and it's always served me well.

I think I'm going to try some of that Quantum Hot Sauce as a personal lubricant though? Image

Post 06 Dec 2008, 07:34 • #6 
Master Guide
I'm not qualified to dispute anyone's advice on this subject, although I was surprised to learn that lithium grease is dangerous for aluminum, since it is widely used on bicycle mechanicals, which are mostly aluminum, stainless steel, and plastic--warning duly noted. I also didn't know that auto bearing grease (the thick red stuff, I presume) was a problem, as I've used it for decades on click/pawl fly reels, with great results. It stays in place on hot runs, doesn't absorb any appreciable moisture, and tones down noisy clickers--all things that you'd want for your wheel bearings. I've never used it on spinning or casting reels, however, as it's way too thick for finely-cut, multiplying gear drives. The stuff in Silicote, Hot Sauce, and other reel lubes must be available under other names, though. I really doubt that the worldwide production of fishing reels is large enough to encourage any lubricant producer to make even one product just for them, or that there aren't other similar mechanical applications for these products. That's not to say that reel manufacturers didn't canvass the available formulations to find those best-suited to the operation, environment, and materials of fishing reels. At $1 per ounce, though, if I needed to re-pack a lot of reels every year, I think I'd find suitable alternatives in larger containers at a cheaper rate!
-CC

Post 06 Dec 2008, 13:19 • #7 
Master Guide
Another in the buy good fishing reel grease/oil (and avoid lithium). I had a bad experience with lithium grease (garage door grease) - nuff said.

Have been using Penn reel grease/oil for a long time since I used to use only Penn reels in the salt. Based on comments here will try Hot Sauce when my current tubes of Penn oil and grease are done, but they have lasted for years and I haven't needed to get new stuff. I fiddle with tackle a lot and grease and oil goes a long way for me, so why not use the proper stuff. As an aside, I am a 12-month a year NJ fisherman in mostly fresh water and some salt water (used to be a big winter cod, ling, whiting guy until those stocks went downhill) and have fished down to 8F. Haven't had a problem with Penn reel oil and grease. I'd bet it is a standard formulation repackaged, but why take a chance.

Also bought some cheap reel grease at a discount store a few years back. It turned yellow in the container after a couple of years. Don't know if it changed properties, but when I was an extrusion engineer polymers yellowing would ring the alarm bells.

Post 07 Dec 2008, 07:28 • #8 
Guide
What about Lubriplate #105 multi-purpose grease?

Composition:
heavy hydrotreated napthenic distillates (petroleum), 85-90%
fatty acid, 5-10%
zinc oxide, 0-5%
calcium hydroxide, 0-1%
zinc dibutyldithiocarbamate, 0-1%
sodium hydroxide, 0-1%

I've been using this on my spinning reels for several years without any noticeable adverse effects, but am open to any expert opinion.

Post 07 Dec 2008, 10:54 • #9 
Master Guide
I''ve been buying my Hot Sauce at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Post 07 Dec 2008, 14:01 • #10 
Piscator
kinzua wrote:
What about Lubriplate #105 multi-purpose grease?

Composition:
heavy hydrotreated napthenic distillates (petroleum), 85-90%
fatty acid, 5-10%
zinc oxide, 0-5%
calcium hydroxide, 0-1%
zinc dibutyldithiocarbamate, 0-1%
sodium hydroxide, 0-1%

I've been using this on my spinning reels for several years without any noticeable adverse effects, but am open to any expert opinion.
sodium hydroxide is great for bronze and steel, but is essentially the same alkali that lithium grease can break down to to cause corrosion of aluminum

I've used many greases and Hot Sauce is the best, hands down. It always remains soft, and never breaks down to wax and acid. I used to swear by Daiwa blue, but it's waxy and stiff after a year - this never happens to Hot Sauce
Image Image

With all the reels I lube - mine and other peoples' that come through my shop, I use about $20 of Hot Sauce per year.

the corrosion on the reel in this photo
http://clarksclassicflyro ... ly/110913/t/storage-.html
was probably related to rotting line, but it's kind of a no-brainer - use products that you know will be nice to your valuable vintage reels.

Post 09 Dec 2008, 07:23 • #11 
Guide
No offense to anyone here, but it never ceases to amaze me how fishermen (myself included) will spend several hundred dollars on gear, both new and vintage, then try to save a buck on "good alternative" accessarys. If I had a nickel for every thread I've read on "Can I use triple X grade sewing machine oil as a reel lube?" or "Anyone ever try facial cream as a fly floatant?" or " My daughter has some old Barbie dolls, can I use the hair to tie flies?". ... yea, if I had a nickel for every one of those I'd go out & buy a spool of Stren and use it for tippet material.
Tom.

Last edited by Scooter2022 on 10 Dec 2008, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 Dec 2008, 07:26 • #12 
Master Guide
Amen to that, although I am guilty as charged.

New Topic Add Reply