It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:23

New Topic Add Reply
Estate Sale Find
Post 01 Sep 2021, 19:04 • #1 
Guide
Just obtained a Fenwick FS70 7' spinning rod from a local estate sale..casts 1/4-1/2 oz lures..4-10 lb line

Good condition, with rod sack and plastic rod tube, similar to a Fenwick PLS64 I still have from the 70's..but feels stouter overall.

Guess I could throw bass plugs with it, if I spin-fished..or maybe catfish bait, or light saltwater stuff...but what would anybody use this rod for?

Re: Estate Sale Find
Post 01 Sep 2021, 20:24 • #2 
Piscator
It's pretty perfect for inshore

and would fish this bass box pretty well.
I would assume it does better below its low rating than above its high rating.

Post 01 Sep 2021, 21:44 • #3 
Guide
Thanks..I know conventional fishers use fiberglass rods for crankbaits, but didn't know spinnerbaits like those cool minnow lures or jigs may be good as well.

I found an UMCO lure box with some spoons as well.....bought a few of those recently, the hammered aluminum is kind of cool.

Will post photos when I figure how to get them in the correct format for this forum

Post 01 Sep 2021, 23:01 • #4 
Master Guide
I have one and use it trolling for kokanee trout. I usually use it for putting out a top water surface line while the others are on the downriggers. It double duties that way as a rod for casting if I want to try and pick up a bass or cast some lures to spotted fish. Nice and soft tip for the kokes.

Post 04 Sep 2021, 17:31 • #5 
Guide
Just picked up another glass spinning rod...a Wright McGill 7' 970 2 pc medium weight, not in the best shape, at the same estate sale. Any tips on what to use to spruce up the finish, as it kind of dull? It need to replace the stripping guide, but overall not that bad, after I cleaned up the ferrules a bit with a polishing cloth.

This was my first real experience waiting in line at an estate sale..the kind of craziness I may not wish to repeat any time soon...but picked up a few interesting things. A buddy who got in early told me about a Wright McGill (he knows furniture, antiques and all kinds of old, cool stuff, but not fishing) and I was kind of hoping for a Wright McGill Granger cane rod or two..but, alas, it was not to be.

Picked up 2 more aluminum UMCO tackle boxes, which I like, for not too much dough, which is what I came for. Bunch of old bass plugs inside, probably little or no value, plus 4 small Mitchell open-face reel spools that I have no use for.

A made in USA Pflueger Medalist #1495 in kind of rough shape, but I replaced a missing post and..voila..it is working again. Of course, the flyline was spun on backwards for a righthand crank reel, but fixed that and it is now fishable with a bit of grease for the drag and spindle.

Grabbed a Gladding South Bend 4pc spinning rod in perfect shape in original plastic tube, sliding ring reel mounts...again an item I have little use for but got all this stuff to buy a couple of things I really wanted at the sale. My buyer/seller buddy who tipped me off said the lady in charge liked me for helping her hand out numbered stickers to buyers before they let us in..so hopefully it was all to the good for future sales with fishing stuff we all like...fiberglass!

New Topic Add Reply