It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:37

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Ambassador 1500C BFS
Post 28 Nov 2022, 10:21 • #26 
Piscator
@G8trwood
4600C4 is choice - it has Ultracast spool, making the spool and bearings the place to start.
There's an inexpensive spool option from AMO

If you notice, Avail did make a spool for your older 4600 - the trick here is production - they don't make all these all the time.
You may have to search ebay and then it may be a Japan scalper.

this link matches the '79 4600CB, spool p/n 4424
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/4181
different shafts compare the fillets .................. '79 '78
'79 CB...................... '78 C
This shaft is on the right '78 model, spool p/n 10559
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/4182

All of these are in stock - Avail has made a recent parts run for them.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 28 Nov 2022, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Nov 2022, 10:35 • #27 
Guide
Thanks!

Post 28 Nov 2022, 12:52 • #28 
Piscator
You're welcome.

On a different note, 1040 (1044) air bearings that fit Ultracast are next to impossible to find right now.
These are made by clipping a 740ZZ micro bearing in a 10-mm alloy spacer

KTF was the first to stop listing 1040 microbearings on their website, Roro, and finally Hedgehog.
This is compounded by the widespread use of 740ZZ bearings from line rollers to handle knobs.
They're waiting on a new batch of 740ZZ to offer 1040 air bearings again.

Luckily, I stocked up on these along the way, and had a set for my 4500CT -
- the pair I show above - I finally used KTF/IXA microbearings in my black/red 4600C, rated for casting 20 g.

To fill the gap, Avail added full-zirconia spool bearings in these sizes - note however, these are sold as singles.
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/5560

Roro and Hedgehog both have 1044 full-size SiC-ball, but they're not rated to cast UL weights.
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/2573

JapanTackle has the last Roro stock 1044 air bearings (4x10x4) sold as singles
https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/ba ... 00244.html
and of course, they're OOS on the Avail UC 4600 spool.

Roro and Hedgehog both have 1150 (1154) full-size SiC that fit 1500C to 3500C

Also, they both have 1030 (1034) air micro- bearings that fit non-UC (i.e, older) Ambassadeur 4500/4600.
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1375

You don't have to have air bearings. You can improve the reel with unshielded SiC spool bearings.
The Air bearings gain two things - reduce total spool weight, and the micro-bearings have reduced start-up inertia for the lightest weights.
If you're not interested in throwing 1/16 oz to the greatest distance, and may be interested in throwing 1/2 oz, bypass Air bearings for unshielded SiC.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 29 Nov 2022, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Nov 2022, 12:59 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Regarding 4x10x4 bearings -- I've ordered ceramic hybrids of various sizes and flavors from AliExpress, packaged as Ray's Studio. The Weihai store might be a place to start.

Shipping will likely take a few weeks, and they may or may not have the pedigree you desire, but if nothing else they can get the project up and running until you find something you like more.

Post 28 Nov 2022, 13:41 • #30 
Piscator
Rob, you'll note they have No 4 10 4 listed, except far down in their applications table.
3 mm ID bearings in scads
Shielded hybrid ceramics easy to find.
Even ebay, there are zero unshielded bearings listed in this size, for awhile, there were many choices and ratings from air to full zirconia.

If you've been buying Daiwa bearings, you've been buying 1030.

Post 28 Nov 2022, 13:41 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, I see that Ron. No worries, they also have these -

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832152444682.html

In case the link doesn't work, try "DIY stainless steel/ceramic ball bearings for reels,free shipping". They are the ones with the orange seals.

I've also ordered 384's and a couple other sizes for my other Chinese-made reels. I prefer Hedgehog or Roro for my JDM reels.

Love these pics of tricked-out vintage round reels !

--

edit: after doing a bit more perusing I found a few other possibilities :

Shimange store, "stainless steel hybrid ceramic ball bearing fishing reel accessories grade 5*11*4/3*8*4/3*10*4/4*7*2.5/5*8*2.5 4mm*10mm*4mm"
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832657901222.html

GCH Bearing Outlets store, "FREE SHIPPING 4PCS 4x10x4 SMR104C 2OS ABEC7 Stainless Steel Hybrid Ceramic Fishing Reel Bearings By GCH"
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832543444346.html

Just trying to be helpful. I'm just a dork sometimes :)

Last edited by Odonata on 28 Nov 2022, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Nov 2022, 10:47 • #32 
Piscator
It's not dork, it's just about a different purpose - BFS.
As I said, there are no unshielded spool bearings offered for Ambassadeur currently on Ali Express and most of Japan, as well.
Onshore, SurfCastProShop sells nice hybrid ceramic spool bearings, but we're trying to get these reels into the couple of g casting range.
These kick butt for big weight.
https://surfcastproshop.com/shop/ols/pr ... ing-abec-7
These actually come with the orange seals separate, giving you the choice to use your own racy oil and seal them, or do like I do, keep them flushed and oiled for use.

Go-to for me in surf sizes are MTCW from Japan.
On the left is my home-made 1040 micro bearing - on the right, MTCW 1044

I noticed Hedgehog had started sending quality unshielded 740ZZ bearings with their handle kits.
I set those aside and used the shielded handle knob bearings I had stashed away.
I took a pair of Ray's Studio 1030 micro bearings, and swapped the guts for the good unshielded 740ZZ to make my own pair of 1040 micro bearings.

Speaking of dork, I just opened those MTCW bearings from a sealed package for this photo. Marked 1044, they measure 1154 - they were sorted and packaged incorrectly in Japan. I have places to use 1154 spool bearings, Lew's and ZPI spools, but I bought them for CT surf reel spool bearings.

You can feel the weight difference between those big stainless bearing races and the micro stainless bearing races.
Casting light weights, you can measure the performance difference between shielded and unshielded bearings.
We're talking edge here - the same way a lighter spool gives you light-lure edge, unshielded micro-bearing is added edge (and a major difference from the full-size bearing above).
I guess I only posted this on BR forum.
https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... nt=2879479
When I set up my Silver Wolf, went through spool and bearing trials casting a 2-g jighead, that's kind of my standard low-end back-acre test. Again, these are all 1030 micro bearings for Daiwa.

On the left is the shielded Daiwa micro bearing; center is Royo micro bearing; right is IXA 1033 double micro bearing (AMO is including a pair of these now in their 34 mm Daiwa BFS spool). The spools were stock Daiwa SW, Ray's Studio SV, and lightweight champ Roro-X.
The difference between the shielded and unshielded micro bearings was a bit over 10%.
The greatest difference between all spool (weight) and matched bearings was over 50%.
The Roro bearings only had a slight edge over the IXA double bearings, and the double bearings are a boon for casting wide weight range - for light weights, only the inner race spins - with heavy weight (20 to 30 g) the outer race spins. Unfortunately, they can't make these with ID larger than 3 mm, but they're choice if you want to fish a Daiwa from finesse to 6" plugs and take full advantage of an SV spool.

Noteworthy, any of these 1030 bearings work in the '70s and '80s 4600C.

Post 09 Dec 2022, 08:33 • #33 
Master Guide
OK

Time to play. New stuff from Japan for a 1500c just arrived. I will try to assemble this stuff this weekend. Unfortunately snow/rain/icy roads have ruined my intentions of getting out with my Diawa BFS but what better time to tinker. Thanks Ron for all your help!

Mike

Last edited by fishhuntmike on 09 Dec 2022, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post 09 Dec 2022, 09:21 • #34 
Piscator
YES !!!
We're having fun yet.

Post 10 Dec 2022, 13:59 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Not having fun as i passed on 2 NOS 1500Cs in the boxes.I thought 200 a piece was too much.This was this past summer.Those reels are went to Texas as my friend sold his bait and tackle shop and got out of this wonderful state..He got big bucks for them on ebay.I had never even seen one of those reels before.I have 3 vintage ABUs that were gifts,a red one .black one and green one.I learned to baitcast on these a long time ago.Can these old reels be upgraded? The UL casting stuff is intriguing for sure ,i just got out of throwing crankbaits a while ago .

Post 10 Dec 2022, 15:19 • #36 
Piscator
You could have turned those and doubled your money.
If you start at the top of this thread page, you'll learn about Ultracast (90s on) vs. 70s-80s (and older) with spindle fixed to spool.
That's the first thing you have to learn about your reels.
Ultracast on left, fixed spindle on right.
Image Image
The advantage to Ultracast is easier to work on, but might be possible to make the older style racier with the quality bearings out there, since the major mass of the spool bearings is fixed in the frame.

Match your reel in this page
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/page/263

Priorities:
    Microcast spool and bearings - removes an ounce of mass/inertia. Mag brake is choice for casting light weights.
    Lightweight level-wind parts - especially the LW rider/guide. Mike's reel repair offers zirconia pawl (but they don't always work well with Avail alloy worm gears).
    BB level wind parts including worm gear and idler gear - you can always slick these up by polishing existing spindles and bushings, so the BB level wind parts are the lowest priority, but do make a difference.

Post 10 Dec 2022, 16:09 • #37 
Master Guide
Well it took me about 45 min to install my parts on the somewhat dinged up but fully functional $175 1500c I just aquired. I used 2 larger magnets (man they are finicky to handle) on the mag control and left out the centrifugal parts from the old spool. I cant believe just how light the new spool is!

For testing I lined up with 10# 8 strand braid (this spool sure doesnt hold much line) and tied on a 3" curly tail with no weight.
I was able to easily cast 60ft (limited by back yard) with occasional backlashes (around 10%) if I was not careful. Something I was never able to do with my existing department store baitcasters. I might add another magnet or 2 later but the unweighted 3" grub is the lightest thing i will probably cast with it. I can tell with the stock gearing I may want to speed it up a bit and install a double knob handle down the road. I will decide that when I put some time on the water with different lures/bait.

Quick update... while I was typing this up on my little iphone (big fingers, small keypad, numerous mistakes) I got an idea and tied on a fine #2 hook and threaded on a medium sized nightcrawler with no weight and was able to cast it at least as well as the 3" grub with no chance of it flying off the hook. To me this is definitely a game changer! as I frequently fish unweighted crawlers when sight fishing.

Thanks Ron for starting this thread! Thanks for your help.

Mike

Post 10 Dec 2022, 16:33 • #38 
Piscator
I like the red - you have a lot of room to dress it up as you bring it closer to where you want it.
You know the magnet poles should be reversed - if one has N facing in, the other should have N facing out.
Also analyzing your backlash, if it's at start-up, you may want centrifugal.
If it's mid-cast, you need more magnet.

Post 11 Dec 2022, 08:33 • #39 
Master Guide
Thanks Ron!

This is obviously addictive. Lurking in the Hedgehog candy store i couldnt resist adding some more bling to my 1500c. Didnt take long. Red spool tension knob, red double handle, red star drag, red handle nut retainer and high speed retrieve.

Post 11 Dec 2022, 14:21 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks BD,i see the difference in the older bigger reels.They all have the spindle on the spool.Yeah i wish i would have gotton those 2 reels.Could have sold 1 and kept one ,i used to do this often .Basically a 0 sum hobby.

Post 11 Dec 2022, 17:25 • #41 
Piscator
Of course, older than 5000C doesn't have bearings, but you can still make these reels slick and fun with microcast spool, polished spindles, and LW improvements.
The old way of casting Ambassadeur - centrifugal needed because of the spool mass, and adjust end tension so the spool stops when the lure reaches the ground - isn't needed because of the ounce of mass you remove by replacing the heavy stock spool.
With the low-inertia system, a little bit of brake goes a long way (the LW itself is often enough), and the system starts like a rocket without mass-driven lag followed by spool overshoot.
(As you cast heavier weights, the need for centrifugal at spool start-up goes up.)

I started this with surf/ tournament-casting reels, which don't have level wind, and they're so much fun to cast and fish, moving on to LW, my 1500CI, 4500C3 were automatic for me.
So was adding the NLW 4500CT - talk about pocket rocket.
(Abu never made a 4500 or 5500 CT, but the Brits make the 5500CT frame, and Italians make theirs along with 4500CT, and down to 3600CT)
Casting 3-g metal jigs on an 8'9" surf micro-jigging rod is beyond fun, and I'll be using it to tease big snook sipping tiny glass minnows under the lights in far S. Texas in February.
I've under-classed several over-slot snook on too light tackle in past years - this is the first year I'm going armed for them.

Post 11 Dec 2022, 19:38 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks BD,will pull them out and see what's inside.Would be fun to use them again and with improved performance the better.Been really thinking of getting some modern glass casting rods.Like i say here often i still use heavy graphite spinning rods for worming or jigging for bass as i can feel every piece of wood rock gravel weeds etc.I just had my old topwater bass plugs out.Darters zara spooks dalton specials carrot tops and a bunch of different devil horse,all wood of course.A glass rod and braid is a good combo i use for UL throwing small baits and jigs for crappie white bass rock bass lake perch etc.Have refurbished a few vintage mitchells and starting on a maroon shakespeare.The 408 i just finished is like new ,I got a mitchell 300 with 3 spools,a 408 with the plastic box and the shakespeare maroon colored reel,it is about the same size as the 300.Cosmetically they look great but the grease inside is like raw bees wax.Your tips and tricks make tinkering with the old reels fun and not just another dirty job.

Post 17 Dec 2022, 11:30 • #43 
Master Guide
With your invaluable guidance, bulldog, and after throwing a bunch of money at Hedgehog (and a little more at Simon Shimomura), I’ve completely transformed my old 1500C. The only things I didn’t do were to source an IAR cover and to increase the gear ratio—it’s already a 6.0. Replacing the main gear shaft with the Avail part did massively tighten up the anti-reverse, however—The handle barely turns now before it engages. My reel is ounces lighter now, and sits much lower on the reel seat with the Avail frame. I haven’t been able to test cast for distance yet, but the spool spins much faster than before. My plan for this reel is a very light topwater bass outfit for 1/8 to 1/4 ounce plugs, and I think the reel will play its part well. I have a Calcutta Conquest BFS for the really light stuff.

Now for my next winter project, I have a NOS Calcutta 50b (pre-Conquest), but all I’ve been able to find for it is faster bearings, and advice to degrease/re-grease and oil the works, plus polishing the spool shaft. I was hoping to replace the stock spool with a much lighter one (and magnetic braking), but I’ve found nothing that fits anything older than the Calcutta Conquest 50. Any pointers or perhaps a lighter spool source would be greatly appreciated. I’m trying to be realistic in goals for this reel. It’s built like a main battle tank, and moves like one too. I’m just hoping to speed it up to light armored personnel carrier territory!

Post 17 Dec 2022, 13:12 • #44 
Piscator
Now we need photos - especially action photos in the spring.
Really do want to see it - yeah, the IAR conversion can be a Bit on the side of Excess, but I do like the result.

We need to connect you with redmeandistortion on BR, who has probably already done a Conquest 50.
We need to check compatability of your spool with '14 Chronarch.
The last KTF spools in stock fit this model, and they're listed at half-price. The only way to buy from KTF is using a broker like Noppin, but if the spool matches for you, it's a coup.
According to Japan Tackle, '14 Conquest 50 fits the same application.

Jun and Kayo at JapanTackle also have this spool. https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/sp ... 00007.html
Might we worth going over this list and if you e-mail them, Jun has Great English (Kayo not quite).
https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/sp ... imano.html

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 18 Dec 2022, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Dec 2022, 16:09 • #45 
Master Guide
Thank you. I have a Calcutta 50B. I think my reel was first made in 2001, preceding the Conquest generation by a decade or more. If a spool for another model can be made to work, though, I’ll be all over that! I’ve checked the dimensions of the Aldebaran spool that a friend has, and it’s the correct width, but the flanges are too large in diameter. The shaft is also a tad longer and too thin, but if the rest worked, I think I could probably shorten the shaft and match bearings. I emailed JapanTackle to see if they know of a possible replacement.

BTW, what is “BR?” I assume it’s a forum (baitcasting reels?)…..

Post 17 Dec 2022, 22:52 • #46 
Piscator
Jun Sonada at JapanTackle will know the answer - he and Hedgehog are both closely allied with Avail, but Jun has much better English.
Hedgehog has to forward emails back and forth to a contract interpreter.
Bass Resource forum -
https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... nt=2911989

Also found this website - https://jdmfishing.com/vault/avail-shim ... -xt-50-51/
It states the Avail Microcast spool CC5017 and CC5032 (two different depths) will work on '05 Calcutta 50.

Post 18 Dec 2022, 08:01 • #47 
Master Guide
Yes! I think the CC5032 would be best for my intended use. Now I just have to find one at less than the cost of a new reel, lol. The CC5017 is even more (eBay). I’ve saved a search for the CC5032. Sooner or later one will turn up at a tolerable price. Meanwhile, I’ll order bearings and see what I can do with the stock spool. Thanks again, bulldog.

Post 18 Dec 2022, 11:24 • #48 
Piscator
You're welcome - Avail will eventually come back to it - everything is made in batches (the two 4500 I linked at the top of the page are just new back in stock).
Don't buy from an ebay scalper.

I did check Yahoo using Japanese text copied from Hedgehog website (OOS) - none searched up.

I'm slowly dressing up this Lew's with gold color parts to go with the green reel seat on the Valleyhill MH rod.
Wanted to add some gold on the palm side, and found the ZPI mag-brake dial on Yahoo for $28 - there's one listed on ebay for $210.
Bought it and it's in my noppin.com storage until I add more stuff and ship next month.

Post 19 Dec 2022, 13:38 • #49 
Master Guide
Finally got more bling in the mail from Hedgehog. Installed them and couldnt get the high speed gears to work/mesh properly so i put the original gears back and cleaned it up a bit inside. Works great now. The handle was smaller than anticipated but I like it better than the original. The reel highlights match the rod too! Put a third magnet in it (alternating poles of course) and seems to cast fine but once I really test it on the water I can fine tune the magnet combination.

I love this little gem of a reel.

Post 19 Dec 2022, 14:22 • #50 
Piscator
oooh, ahhh - who made the handle?

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply