It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:39

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Ambassador 1500C BFS
Post 19 Dec 2022, 19:17 • #51 
Master Guide
Ron,
The handle is a KAHARA JAPAN Short Twin Handle for ABU Ambassadeur *KJHA (Handle color: Mirror Clear Red)

Post 19 Dec 2022, 20:08 • #52 
Master Guide
Very nice, fishhuntmike! I need to take a photo of my raced-out 1500C tomorrow and post it. It’s not as colorful, though.

Post 19 Dec 2022, 21:11 • #53 
Piscator
Yeah, new page needs a photo.
Mike, good choice on the handle.

Post 20 Dec 2022, 11:08 • #54 
Master Guide

I’ve taken this reel about as far as I can (excepting some exterior bling that would only lighten the reel another few grams), and it’s about perfect. The finishing touch was the Simon Shimomura Smooth Operator kit, which significantly smooths out and lightens the clutch mechanism. While I was at it, I ordered one of his custom handles.

I’m planning a new rod build for this outfit before spring. So far, I’ve gotten the reel seat. I’ll be looking for either a glass or very smooth graphite blank 6-6.5ft, two or three piece in either case.

Post 20 Dec 2022, 11:15 • #55 
Master Guide
Congrats Crosscreek! Nice work there!

Post 22 Dec 2022, 20:38 • #56 
Piscator
thanks for the photo - looks great

Cross Creek wrote:
I’ve taken this reel about as far as I can (excepting some exterior bling that would only lighten the reel another few grams), and it’s about perfect. The finishing touch was the Simon Shimomura Smooth Operator kit, which significantly smooths out and lightens the clutch mechanism. While I was at it, I ordered one of his custom handles

I looked up the Shimon Shimura 1500/2500 clutch kit.
It's very much like the same upgrade Kahara offered for awhile, with a softer spring and new bushing composition.
A big improvement over the stock.
I made the Avail swap, which swaps a similar spring, but the shouldered bushing has a ball bearing that also improves pinion alignment.
The stock parts I removed are sitting between the side plate and assembled brake plate.

Post 08 Jan 2023, 21:12 • #57 
Sport
bulldog1935 wrote:
We need to connect you with redmeandistortion on BR, who has probably already done a Conquest 50.

I haven't done one yet, but it is on my list. I've been trying to find one that hasn't been beat too bad. My only Shimano right now is my Conquest BFS. All the rest are Daiwa and my baby Ambassadeurs.

Post 09 Jan 2023, 07:09 • #58 
Piscator
Thanks for the post and welcome to FFR.
This is the perfect thread for you to show some of those pretty reels.
Also, if you fill out your location in user profile, it gives us context about your home water.

Post 24 Jan 2023, 12:44 • #59 
Sport
Here's one many don't see everyday, a 1600C IAR which was sort of a last hurrah for the small Ambassadeur before Pure Fishing took over all operations in 2000. These were only made from '98 to '00 and use a thumb bar line release instead of the push button like other models. The spool and palm side are the same as a 1500C, but the gearbox is more like that of the Morrum. The clutch assembly is a lot smoother and the revised pinion yoke keeps everything aligned much better. I like to think this is the design Abu was going to implement in the future until their parent company told them overwise, truly a special reel.

Post 24 Jan 2023, 13:20 • #60 
Piscator
Great example that's only missing the Avail click-plate with integral A/R sleeve.

Post 24 Jan 2023, 13:46 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
redmeansdistortion wrote:
Here's one many don't see everyday, a 1600C IAR which was sort of a last hurrah for the small Ambassadeur before Pure Fishing took over all operations in 2000. These were only made from '98 to '00 and use a thumb bar line release instead of the push button like other models. The spool and palm side are the same as a 1500C, but the gearbox is more like that of the Morrum. The clutch assembly is a lot smoother and the revised pinion yoke keeps everything aligned much better. I like to think this is the design Abu was going to implement in the future until their parent company told them overwise, truly a special reel.

oh great, another unicorn to pursue through the fields of ebay ;-)
that's a lovely reel, sad it's so rare..

Post 24 Jan 2023, 14:38 • #62 
Piscator
Doug, that's the kind of thing that was abandoned when Ambassadeur and other round synchro reels were relegated to entry-level dinosaur.
"Make them as cheaply as possible, because low profile is the future - throw a bone to the old-schoolers"
Shimano has kept the Calcutta tradition alive, which Morrum was Svangsta's answer to Calcutta.
The Isuzu-built Japanese reels introduced on the other thread have taken these reels to their logical next step, which is limited bench-made quality.
Quite simply, Abu abandoned round-reel production, and moved all production to Doyo (Korea, LP) and China (round).

Post 24 Jan 2023, 14:59 • #63 
Sport
doug in co wrote:
that's a lovely reel, sad it's so rare..

This was a $100 Facebook marketplace find. Some girl in the middle of Indiana corn country had it for sale, I jumped on it. I was begging her to ship it for a few weeks, even offered her more than she was asking, just for her troubles. She wouldn't budge, so I had a friend of mine pick it up as he passes through her area on the way to see family. I asked why she wouldn't ship and she said because she didn't want to risk it going to the wrong address. Understandable, but I wasn't about to split hairs so I said I will figure something out. I asked my friend Phil when he was planning on going to Indy, and he said the coming weekend. She still had it. Thankfully Phil is a dear friend, because he loves these things too and got to spend a few days playing around with it. He definitely had the temptation to make me an offer. I know because he was wanting to trade me at first but he has nothing I really can't live without.

It didn't have the factory handle, but beggars can't be choosers. Not that it matters much to me, but collectors want all original if I decided to resell in the future. Somebody changed the handle to one of those 90mm things that perform very poorly on this type of reel. You weren't reeling, you were churning butter. I did use it for a few weeks while I mulled over handle options. This was how I received it.

While Avail does make a lot of parts for these in general, they still don't have an offset frame or lighter brake plate as of yet. Even though I swapped many parts, it still weighs 9.3oz. I think a duralumin handle and star wheel are in its future.

Now compare that to my 2500C IAR, which was a scratch build. Everything brand new but the pinion yoke and push button. I plan on building a couple more as I have 2 more sets of NOS side plates.

Post 24 Jan 2023, 16:59 • #64 
Piscator
that looks great, and Haneda Craft handles always dress them up.

Post 25 Jan 2023, 09:34 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful work. I'm astounded the 2500C only weighs 6.6 oz !

Post 25 Jan 2023, 12:49 • #66 
Piscator
Rob,
My 1500CI is even a bit lighter, even with brass gears. He built that reel entirely from upgrade parts, buying only the original parts he needed to finish it out.
Avail makes alloy frame, brake plate and palm plate, alloy main shaft and drag clicker and drag knob, and the Haneda Craft handle is alloy.
Mine has the original 4.1 gears, so it gets the shorter handle.
The drive I showed in my CI replaces the brake click plate and steel A/R sleeve with an integral alloy component.
The plated brass trim and LW parts get replaced with lighter alloy - it adds up (or subtracts away).
It's easy to swap away ounces in the small-frame Ambassadeurs, but it costs.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=72634#p399940

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 25 Jan 2023, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 Jan 2023, 15:47 • #67 
Sport
I was lucky to track down the NOS side plates. Ron is the only other person I told about them. I ended up buying 3 sets and now it looks like they are unobtainable. I also have a couple of spare pinion yokes and push buttons, the only parts that can't be purchased aftermarket. I'm keeping a parts stash since the are my favorite reels.

Post 30 Jan 2023, 13:41 • #68 
Guide
I'm seeing some really nice real handles here. Are those custom? If so, from whom?

Post 30 Jan 2023, 16:32 • #69 
Piscator
Hi friend,
The Haneda Craft handles come from a really neat vendor in Japan (check out their wood plugs).

https://www.hanecra.com/product-list/62

They don't market to US. Two ways to buy them. Order from Haneda Craft through a Japan broker, noppin, ZenMarket, or Rinkya.
You pay brokerage fee. I've been using Masamichi at noppin for my Japan broker for 20 years, since it was the only way you could buy from Japan.
Now I use him for vendors who don't market to US, also Rakuten and Yahoo, and you can build up a cache of small orders before you ask them to pack and ship.
Masamichi proved himself to me ordering a rolled-from-scratch-on-order Izch inshore S-glass rod 15 years ago, and I count him as a friend.

Second way is order whatever is in stock at Hedgehog Studio, who also has the lead on the quality Avail upgrade parts.
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product-list/424
Both their handle and knob choices are limited compared to ordering from H/C.

I can't answer for the pretty marbled knobs that both Cross Creek and redmeandistortion showed on examples.

Post 01 Feb 2023, 13:33 • #70 
Sport
Uh oh, more parts coming my way. I ordered an Avail offset frame in chrome for my ratchet 2500C along with a 70mm Haneda Craft handle in chrome with white knobs. This reel does have the 6.1 gears, but the shorty handle will be nice fishing the more swift brookie streams in the UP of Michigan. Hopefully the parts will be here by Monday.

Post 07 Mar 2023, 08:39 • #71 
Piscator
Been saving this reel for an all at once presentation.
Steve traded me this EX-condition 4500C for a song, '78 Zero mod, no. 200.

Shown here all finished

The main reason I wanted this exact age 4500C, it uses the Avail AMB4530R-EF spool we discussed on the other page,
and especially, it's the only Ambassadeur model that accepts IXA 1033 double spool bearings.
I also found the NOS small alloy spur gear to replace the big nylon spur gear with the ersatz bait-feed-clicker teeth (which would catch air like a squirrel-cage fan).

With these spool bearings, the outer race is pinned in the frame, the inner race always spins with the spool.
The inner micro bearing balls spin when casting light weights, and the middle race and larger outer bearing balls spin when casting heavy weights and with big drive loads.

My dual-BB LW assembly with alloy rider and zirconia pawl, and the blue ported dual-BB idler gear came from Mike's Reel Repair.
The drive plate received NOS gears and A/R pawl, and my favorite Haneda Craft fiber drag washers.

Avail mag brake plus the small centrifugal shoes.
This turned out to be the fastest reel I've ever built, and had to move each individual magnet inward almost 2 turns to register a mag brake effect on the tiny spool flange for casting 3 g.
Avail black trim, Valleyhill handle, Bright River round drag knob (I'm thinking about swapping in a larger black one).

I matched the reel with a short-grip Bright River offset handle and Bright River Concorde glass 5' (OL) MM rod blade.
This is the prettiest rod I have ever seen. They call this an eyespot handle, which has a spring-loaded rotating pocket that grabs the reel foot.

The rod blade is half black and half red, all the wraps are red.

My here's my small-water kayak triumvirate, MH, MM, and ML

Post 07 Mar 2023, 11:21 • #72 
Master Guide
Fantastic find and amazing conversion Ron! Nicely done and thanks for sharing.
As Ive mentioned before my second ever baitcaster as a "BassMaster Magazine" subscribing pre/early teen was a black flat side plate, red pushbutton 4600C. Much easier to cast than my first (a red 6000). I looked everywhere to no avail locating my old reel to try to mod it. Looking on the auction site I see some are advertised from Japan in the $400-$500 range. Had no idea such a reel (that I probably tossed at some point because I thought I broke it) would become so valuable. Sadly this happened with my Sage 389LL too over 30 years ago.

Post 07 Mar 2023, 21:36 • #73 
Glass Fanatic
Droolworthy !

Post 08 Mar 2023, 11:58 • #74 
Piscator
I got out and cast the Corcorde/ 4500C combo this morning. Since I already had the mag brake set for 3 g, didn't mess with that, but went straight to 1/4 oz (7 g), pretty much the target weight. The top 3rd of the rod is visibly progressive with the weight, and faster mid and butt.
Proving distance wouldn't mean much here, and in the middle of the reel reliability window - backlash-proof.
Skip casting (reverse spiral) with this rod is unreal, and I took a stroll around the back acre, putting the weight beneath the overhang of all the bushes.

This is going to be a perfect rod in my target kayak niche.

Post 08 Mar 2023, 12:09 • #75 
Master Guide
Sweet Ron. Glad you are happy with that kayak rod. Things look pleasant and lush down there, contrary to up here but spring is coming.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply