It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:55

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Aug 2021, 09:48 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
First time posting in the spinning forum!

I’d like to pick up a couple nice (but affordable) ultralight or light glass spinning rods for my kids (8 & 6 years). Glass seems like a good idea if possible for durability reasons (neither one is careful with rod tips!). Cameron seems to be out of the Eagle Claws he used to sell on TFM, so I’m looking for any other ideas. Happy to build something out too if there’s a blank that would be a good option.

Recap:
5’ to 6’6” light or ultralight glass rod or blank for kids to throw lures for panfish and small bass.

Thanks in advance for recommendations!

Post 18 Aug 2021, 13:06 • #2 
Piscator
I started my girls on the same Eagle Claws with Zebco UL-1 spincast.
Some rods we acquired along the way for them were BPS Power Glass UL casting and I already had a Falcon UL spinning rod for Penn 4200SS.
For creek fishing, my older daughter gravitated to 4-1/2' Airex solid glass with '37 Luxor half-bail.
Slip bobbers are king for teaching kids to fish creeks.

In lieu of vintage or venerable glass UL, one place to look are newer trout finesse rods.

Quick check on Plat inventory, they have Jackall Good Rod" 5'6" UL spinning in Blue, Green and Orange.
These are $100 rods, but anything Jackall offers is worth owning.
All-purpose panfish rod. If I was outfitting my daughter today for nursery seatrout to bluegill, I would put this in her hand.
Stock is difficult to find on just about anything fishing-related these days.

Here's the rod on Jackall website, and I snipped these translations

Post 18 Aug 2021, 16:58 • #3 
Administrator
The Eagle Claw rods may be available through Walmart or Target. BassPro/Cabela's sells their equivalent rod, the BPS MicroLite. Both are glass built on bright yellow rod blanks. Prices are $20-30. Have them shipped to your house rather than searching to find a rod in stock locally.

The advantage of ready made is the 'instant gratification' of going fishing soon. Cheap is good because a kid's first fishing rod often has a hard, short life (it's a learning experience). Put thought into the reel so it can be used with the next rod also.

Once you determine if they like fishing, then order a couple of Rainshawdow, E-glass rod blanks and build rods over the winter.

Tom

Post 19 Aug 2021, 13:38 • #4 
Piscator
What kids enjoy is quality time with their parents.
As long as you give them a choice to fish by picking a place that's fun even if they don't want to fish today, and make sure you put them on fish when they want to - they'll enjoy it.
You may have to change the way you'd fish if it was just you.

New Topic Add Reply