It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:13

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Aug 2021, 11:37 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Not sure how on-topic this is, but I am going to start tearing down a saltwater spinning reel to clean out sand and so on. After a few years I think it is time.

I picked up some Quantum hot sauce grease and oil a while back, but I notice that "anti-seize compound" is recommended for certain screws. What do you recommend ?

Post 13 Aug 2021, 15:01 • #2 
Guide
I just use grease. I bought a tube of that corrosion X grease. Probably will last far past my lifetime:)

Post 13 Aug 2021, 18:50 • #3 
Administrator
If you disassemble your reel(s) every year or two, grease or oil should be fine. If you disassemble your reels every decade or two, then use the recommended anti-sieze (or a mixture recommended for aluminum or marine environments).

Anti-sieze has magic ingredients to keep the screw from corroding in the screw hole. Also, anti-sieze has solid lubricant particles in a grease base. If you buy some for the reel fasteners, don't apply it to bearings or gears. The solids will gum up moving parts.

Tom

Post 14 Aug 2021, 06:18 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Anti-seize is for fixed assemblies or very slow/slight moving parts. It isn't expensive and one little container will last a lifetime if used on a screw or bolt now and then. Small packets, similar to a ketchup or mustard single serving takeout packet, are available at any auto parts store.

Post 15 Aug 2021, 15:11 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks all. Strange I had never heard of this stuff before. I see Park Tool makes some for bicycles, which will probably come in handy for my mountain bikes too, so I ordered a tube of that. I was previously using blue Loctite on most screws and bolts.

Also ordered a Corrosion-X "fishin kit" (1 oz bottle each of reel grease + oil) to see what the fuss is about there.

In the meantime for your viewing pleasure, I broke in a new Daiwa BG2500 and went perching -

Low tide

Barred surf perch

Post 15 Aug 2021, 16:28 • #6 
Piscator
The surf is the toughest environment of all.
Inshore, we get small amounts of salt carried as mist in the wind. It doesn't penetrate except with time, condensation and slow wetting.
If you check my rare earth magnets thread, took four years in the salt to get the first sign of corrosion in my Lew's Super Duty - only the magnets, and the bearings were pristine.

In the surf, to reach the guts, you wade out and your reel may get splashed. The splash isn't just saltwater, but also beach-sand slurry.
When the topic of cheap Sougayilang fishing reels came up on BR, I linked to a (fairly lame) youtube describing the failure of one in 15 hours of surf fishing - the failure was the A/R-release clutch lever rusted open.

Typically, those sky's-the-limit fully sealed bench reels like IRT and VanStaal belong here - at least a Tsunami or Tica.
That said, Daiwa SG is a good choice (Tica makes a good portion of Daiwa reels, and very likely the SG). I haven't looked at a Daiwa spinning reel schematic in awhile, but I bet it shares a good sealed clutch.
fwiw, when I order HCRB salt-resistant bearings from Hedgehog, they always send Daiwa mag-seal.

Post 24 Aug 2021, 20:50 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for that info.

Some googling tells me that the Daiwa BG series is not mag-sealed, but the next step up (the Saltist) is. There appears to be some disagreement about whether that is actually a benefit. People seem to think the BG's are sturdy and fairly easy to work on. I have an older BG 15 reel (the one with the wooden handle) that I use with heavier weights in the winter for bigger surf, and it is still going strong. Granted in the winter I tend not to wade in as far. I guess we'll see.

The reel I was going to tear down is an inshore model, an older Quantum Iron PT30, no longer made. I'm not sure about the internals, but I think it is at least partially mag-sealed (somehow lost the papers in my 2019 remodel). I cleaned out and re-lubed the line roller bearing and handle, then did the same with the spool and so forth. I wimped out of disassembling it much beyond that, but it seems to work OK for now. I should probably give it another try as a winter project, just because I have a spare now, and taking stuff apart is fun :)

Post 25 Aug 2021, 08:10 • #8 
Piscator
Mag seal is specifically for the drive bearings.
The roller-bearing clutch is almost certainly sealed.
I think BG is the go-to reel for most people fishing inshore to surf.

Here's Tica sealed roller-bearing clutch (put together the parts to rebuild my oldest Libra SX - just haven't gotten there yet)

New Topic Add Reply