It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:55

New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Jul 2021, 11:00 • #1 
Piscator
Mag-brake tuning.

After 4 years in salt service, my oldest Super Duty G showed its first rust sign - only in the magnets (everything else all through the reel looks pristine).  
This is filliform corrosion - sideways under a coating - a mechanism for a little bit of salt from the air, combined with condensation, to concentrate in place - and you can't remove it, without removing the coating. 
(The silverplate coating is there to keep the magnets from rusting, etc.)

I did clean and rebuild the whole brake plate, and everything inside was pristine

on that brake rebuild, getting the knob and cam plate in phase - 6th time's a charm...

I ordered Momo N52 magnets through Ali Express (AMO store). While their piece-price on these looks dirt cheap, they hit you with a big shipping charge.  
I ordered 8, and they came prepackaged as 10 - the $17 total price was still fair.

BTW, every old magnet that came out showed incipient attack on the bottom.  
The Momo N52 magnets are gold-plated - will be interesting to see how this fares compared to the coating on the stock magnets.  

These magnets are powerful.  In my 1/4-oz niche on the old magnets, I had the mag set a notch above 50% for total-reliable casting, and great cast distance.  
Test casting with the 8 new magnets, incipient backlash was only about 20% mag adjustment, and the next two notches were excessive step changes on the cam - too much mag.  
So I took two magnets out. 
Trying again, didn't cast or adjust enough to find incipient backlash, but was getting 120' reliable cast at a little over 40%, and several notches in that range felt better graduated - that is, narrow changes in mag over several notches.  

Ready to go fishing, and since I'm here, my oldest Super Duty G.  

The red tension knob is Avail and the thumb clutch is AMO - neither color part was spendy.  

Post 30 Jul 2021, 11:07 • #2 
Master Guide
Did the old magnets come out easily? Do you think they could be removed without disassembling the brake side plate?

I'm getting a crazy idea that involves replacing the stock magnets in a reel one-by-one with stronger rare earth replacements until I get the braking I want...

Post 30 Jul 2021, 11:36 • #3 
Piscator
The old magnets were a bugger to remove without disassembly, because they were press-fit into the plastic magnet holder.
They have enough clearance at the I.D. to be pried from underneath - you can see the gap if you zoom my first photo -
- but the only tool with enough stiffness for this was my small split-ring tweezers.
The second tool that helps is a stick magnet...

The press fit shouldn't be needed with the magnetic stainless plate behind (p/n 101 on schematic).
The new magnets are slip-fit, and honker into place with mag force.
They're also easy to remove with a stick magnet - they either pull out or flip and stick to the side of the stick magnet.

Bob, what you described is exactly how you tune them.
You want to remove one first, anyway, to measure it.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 30 Jul 2021, 12:02, edited 3 times in total.

Post 30 Jul 2021, 11:41 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks Ron. I appreciate it.

Post 30 Jul 2021, 11:46 • #5 
Piscator
you're welcome, friend

Post 30 Jul 2021, 13:50 • #6 
Master Guide
Well done!

I forget frequently that the new generation of magnets are out there and never occurred to me they could be an improvement in fishing reels.

Post 30 Jul 2021, 15:18 • #7 
Piscator
Thanks.

Back to my salt issues. The importance of getting rust out of a reel can't be overstated.
Salt rust is more corrosive than salt itself, and you don't want it moving around inside your reel.
(I'm a P-Chem weenie, as well...) Many metals are resistant to salt, but salt rust carries hydrochloric acid, and those same salt-resistant metals will be attacked.

While I was buying, I bought the HRCB ball bearing replacements for the last 3 drive bearings in the reel (worm shaft and main drive shaft).
But the original bearings still look so good, I stashed the new bearings in the reel box for later.

Post 30 Jul 2021, 19:25 • #8 
Master Guide
Oh yes I remember P-Chem also, or remember forgetting it. Nice writeup as usual.

Post 02 Aug 2021, 09:18 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know if K&J Magnetics would offer magnets that would fit in a particular reel or be suitable, but they definitely have strong stick magnets that you could use for removal and an assortment of magnets for just about anything else.

I buy from K&J all the time and highly recommend them.

Post 02 Aug 2021, 09:59 • #10 
Piscator
that's a good link - I checked, they don't offer quite the correct diameter - 3/16 is too small, and 1/4 is too large - the 1/16 thickness is about right, though.

Post 02 Aug 2021, 10:56 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
They will do custom, but it isn't worth it unless you want to get into the reel magnet business...

I have made some cool stuff with their offerings, some fishing related, some not; but the crazy assortment of Neodymium magnets they offer can give you ideas and address attachment problems that would have been without a solution 20 or so years ago.

Their occasional email newsletter is interesting too with links to videos of tests of magnets and lots of ideas on how to use them for different things.

You'll like this link on rust and check out some of the "Recent Posts" in the side bar.

Sorry to stray off topic...

Post 02 Aug 2021, 11:10 • #12 
Piscator
thanks, and certainly salt corrosion is on topic on this thread - the wet/dry situation in a fishing reel moving from salt air to garage isn't near as bad as a submerged test, but interesting how their test magnet looks exactly like my second photo.

Also noteworthy, they stated gold plated in previous tests lasted longer (I'm guessing wet/dry salt spray), but they noted no difference when they were submerged and, of course, that's not surprising.

New Topic Add Reply