It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:48

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Jul 2021, 19:55 • #1 
Guide
I've been looking to buy one of these reels. I want a 1000 or C2000 size Ultralight. I like the magnesium or Hagane frame. I like a very high geared reel to keep up retrieving back through swift water, I am not expecting to catch anything big. All that being said, I am having trouble swimming in the JDM market. I can't seem to find anything "new" with other than 5-1 gear ratio. There is "new" and "19" and "original" in all these reels, hard to cipher what exactly your buying. I guess I'm asking is there the newest model with a high gear ratio. Some I have found are sold out. I have lost track of all the JDM market places, Ali express is where I'm looking, others?

Post 26 Jul 2021, 21:05 • #2 
Piscator
I own a Vanquish, and it's one of those couldn't pry from my hands, etc.
The differences are pretty straightforward.
Vanquish is magnesium body and spool, CI4+ rotor, hard-anodized alloy drive, titanium bail.
Twin Power is aluminum body, spool and rotor, everything else the same as Vanquish.
Stella is magnesium body, spool and rotor, and stainless steel drive.

Vanquish remains the lowest-inertia reel ever made, and it's shocking next to any other Shimano reel.
There is no resistance whatsoever to start, and the reel doesn't try to push you when you stop - zero, zilch.
Even buttery smooth Stradic, you feel the inertia at each end.

Stella was the new round of reels that came out in '18, Vanquish and Stradic in '19, and Twin Power in '20.
The parts interchange between all these reels.
Here's the Vanquish JDM model list - I don't believe Twin Power comes in all the small sizes, but Stella models will be identical:
https://www.jpfishingtacklenews.com/shi ... uish-2019/
Note the spool capacities and gear ratios are listed.
C2000SHG is the drive ratio you are looking for.

Don't trust Ali for these Japan bench-made reels.
You want to check Asian Portal, Digitaka, or order through Plat. Also probably Rakuten, but some of their shops require a shipping broker. There's another choice, if you don't mind paying his brokerage fee, have Masamichi at noppin.com find it for you.

Image Image

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 27 Jul 2021, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Jul 2021, 21:54 • #3 
Guide
Thanks Ron, you put me back on the rails again. They have added a 1000 size to the twin power line.

Post 27 Jul 2021, 07:56 • #4 
Piscator
you're welcome - keep us posted...

Post 30 Jul 2021, 09:37 • #5 
Guide

This is a typical run I fish and the Soare's 5.6 Gear Ratio can keep up but I have to reel a little to fast for my liking.

Average size, seem to be catching more and more largemouth in the rapids, competing with the smallies.

Post 30 Jul 2021, 10:25 • #6 
Piscator
Gomexus offers that same handle with 72 mm diameter (36 mm pitch).
I really dig it on my low-geared Stradic.
With low gears, you don't need a long handle for leverage - the leverage is in the gears.
Also, you naturally spin the wind faster, because you use all wrist and no arm.

Note that Gomexus has copied Livre so closely (except for use of titanium), the gomexus handle swaps into my Livre handle base.

Post 30 Jul 2021, 17:46 • #7 
Administrator
Ghost, a high gear ratio is nice, but it sounds like you need more line pick up per handle revolution. The size 2000/2500 reels have the best pickup/revolution in the lightest frames. For instance, the Shimano VFC2000 (VanfordF, available in the US) has a 6.1:1 gear ratio and picks up 32 inches per revolution. Your Soare 500S picks up only 27 inches* per revolution. The size VFC2500 picks up 35 inches/revolution, but the reel is heavier. The size 1000 reels often pick up less than the size 500.

The Shimano Vanquish lineup has more size options. The Vanquish C2500S XG picks up almost 34 inches/revolution without a weight penalty. Finding a Vanquish in stock may be difficult. The Daiwa LT2500 size reels are similar for line pickup and weight (for instance,the Luvias Airity). Again, finding one in stock might be difficult.

I'll second Ron's recommendation of buying through http://www.plat.co.jp If nothing else, their English website is a good for comparison shopping, albeit a bit slow. They still list specifications for many older, out of stock items. If they have what you want, Plat's communication and delivery after ordering are good.

Tom

* The conversion from cm to inches is 2.5 cm = 1 inch. Don't make it any fancier than that.

Post 02 Aug 2021, 21:27 • #8 
Guide
Your exactly right Tom, weight is a big concern for me, I am an ultralight nut often with four and a half foot and five foot rods in my hand, might not be THE choice in some swifter water but often what I'm using. I would like the 35" of crank from a c2500 but it might weigh down my rod butt.
Meanwhile a CI4 Stradic 1000F has distracted some of my funds for a Vanquish.

Post 03 Aug 2021, 06:57 • #9 
Piscator
The handle pitch is absolutely part of the formula - the reel's fishing part doesn't start at the gears, but at the handle knob, and finishes at the spool diameter.

What you lose with a 37" pick-up is reeling power, feel, and finesse in lure action.
(Another feel-stealer in spinning reels is the drive inertia and rotor mass.)
A longer handle pitch has the effect of slowing down the reel and giving back some of each, while a shorter handle pitch has the effect of speeding up the reel.
The One Revolution has distance (work), torque and power.
What comes out of your car's transmission is totally dependent upon what goes in.

Grey Ghost has found the problem of slowing down his low-geared reel too much with a long handle pitch.
I always tune my handle length for gear ratios. Lower-geared reels get shorter handle pitch, higher-geared reels get longer handle pitch.
On the high-geared reels, the longer handle lets me fish lures with more finesse and fight fish with more power.
On the low-geared reels, the shorter handle lets me wind faster.

Post 12 Oct 2021, 20:21 • #10 
Emeritus
I live in smallmouth central here in south eastern Michigan.
There are few large mouth in our rivers and especially in the fast water.
We refer to the large mouth as "ditch pickles" but they still count.

Post 30 Mar 2022, 06:51 • #11 
Piscator
I figured this was the thread to add a heads up.
The JPY is at an all-time low to the US$ - JY122/US$.
Japan shopping is cost-effective any time there's more than JY100/US$
If you've ever wanted to buy a JDM reel, you may never see a better time.

If you go to a site like Asian Portal, you may not see the exchange rate discount reflected in their listed US$ price.
This is because they post that listing with the exchange rate on the day it was posted.
However, they bill in JPY inventory prices, and you'll find the discount on your paypal or credit card bill.
E.g., my Vanquish above, the Amex bill arrived 10% lower than the AP listed price, making it a really great deal.

Post 30 Mar 2022, 16:20 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Just picked up a Daiwa Gekka Bijin Air TW last week from Digitaka, a few rods from kiwi fishing shop (thanks for the tip), and some Daiwa SLP bling.

After mucking around with Chinese-made baitcasters, the Alphas Air TW simply blew me away. There is no going back ...

The only drawback is JDM stuff typically does not seem to have any directions in English, for obvious reasons. But there are smartphone apps nowadays that do translations from images well enough.

On a related note, I recently noticed that Varivas has a US office -- they ship from Portland, Oregon or thereabouts.

Post 31 Mar 2022, 06:32 • #13 
Piscator
Good choice on the swap from China BFS reels to Daiwa Air - you have Daiwa's two best stream trout BFS reels there.
With MagForce brake on both reels, there's really not a lot you need to know.
Adjust your mag to prevent mid-cast wind backlash - essentially the lightest thing you're going to throw - the moving brake rotor takes care of the rest.
Add a couple of mag notches if you're casting into the wind. The tension adjustment is just to dial out spool side play.

Varivas is a great choice for X-braid. I believe they supplied the Florida Fishing Products Distance braid, which was my first sampling of the new X-braids, and is still fishing extremely well on my inshore Stradic 4000 with Yumeya braid spool.

I've found the fluoropolymer-coated X-braids really sing on spinning reels.
Varivas High Grade and Light Game are their version, and the YGK equivalent is BornRush.
Varivas sells a series of casting braids with a hard version of the FP coating.

New Topic Add Reply