It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:43

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Jul 2021, 14:06 • #1 
Does anyone here have experience with graywolf's baitcast and spinning rods? Looking at his baitcaster for fishing bass ponds and trout streams. I have a browning ultralight spinning rod but the length can be a pain at a few of the places I fish. Any info or other recommendations would be appreciated.

Post 07 Jul 2021, 14:58 • #2 
Administrator
Welcome to the Forum!

Can you tell us more about the issues with your Browning? Too short? Too long? How is the outfit rigged and what test line?

What are you looking to do with a new outfit? Are you looking for a lighter outfit?

Tom

Post 07 Jul 2021, 15:39 • #3 
Well I wouldn't say I'm having issues with it as far as ponds are concerned. I've caught several bass and blues with it. It's just long. It's longer than my 3wt fiberglass fly rod I use on the NC trout streams. I currently have it rigged with Berkley fireline 20#. It's a 6# mono equivalent diameter. I'm just looking into graywolfs baitcaster for a short stream rod.

Post 07 Jul 2021, 22:42 • #4 
Piscator
I have UL baitcasters 6'7" (1 pc) for bass, and 8'2" (2 pc) for inshore.
Interesting, both will cast 2 g to 100' (more weight farther) - the reel set up gets most of the credit - but they fish very differently. The longer rod is much easier to aim long casts consistently, and of course, the shorter rod is easier to aim in close. They both can cast and fish a very wide lure weight range. Noteworthy, the longer rod is lighter by 20 g.
While both are progressive taper, the longer small game rod fights fish like a fly rod, and the bass rod is much more like a bass rod.
You didn't mention any length measurement, only something is too long and something else is long.

Here are some UL baitcasters that Shane posted recently - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72011 - to me, these are pretty short, and the two shorter rods are definitely stream rods.
Just looking at diameters on the sections, Shane's shorter rod looks deep-flexing - the para taper we grew up with on short UL rods. My rods that I opened with both have stout butts, fast mids, and it's tough to tell the tip of the bass rod flexes at all (rated and delivers 1/16 oz).

I think we'd need more details to be able to compare expected rod action and use, and I guess none of us posting here so far can offer specific insight on Graywolf bait rods.

Post 08 Jul 2021, 06:23 • #5 
Thank you bulldog and I'm sorry I should've been more specific. My browning airstream is 7'6" and my 3wt is 7'. I'm looking for a 6'. I also just checked out that thread you mentioned. The finesse page suggests the Shimano aldebaran bfs reel. Ill be looking into one after I decide on the rod. How is you 6'7" rod setup?

Post 08 Jul 2021, 08:06 • #6 
Master Guide
This video makes me very interested in fiberglass BFS rods...

https://youtu.be/UFLL9HFAw7c

The slo-mo footage is captivating.

(You may want to mute the audio if you don't care for techno "music" :) )

Post 08 Jul 2021, 08:38 • #7 
Piscator
jgill0056 wrote:
... How is you 6'7" rod setup?

This is a bass rod for fishing 1/16 to 5/8 oz from kayak.

The reel is Steez SV TW and I have BFS spool options - Roro-X for extreme light-lure distance, and Ray's Studio SV for widest lure weight range.
L to R below, fixed-brake rotor Roro-X, 100 m PE#0.8, 14-lb;
Ray's SV BFS, 100 m PE#1.0 22-lb;
stock Daiwa Boost SV 120 yds 10-lb fluoro.

My niches are both casting and fishing distance.
Stream fishing, you'll like BFS with small spool diameter. Everything you'll be doing there is about accurate casts and presentation.

This is the long small game rod made for shore fishing - 3-g plug, and I was consistently casting 120' across a pass and bravely into the edge of the grass - this set-up fished the 3-g lure better than a comparable long UL spinning set-up fished 5-g on a previous trip to the same tide pass.

Post 08 Jul 2021, 10:16 • #8 
Guide
desmobob wrote:
This video makes me very interested in fiberglass BFS rods...

https://youtu.be/UFLL9HFAw7c

The slo-mo footage is captivating.

(You may want to mute the audio if you don't care for techno "music" :) )

That dude is a poster child for guys with new gear ! All that fancy casting and not one fish ? I wonder how times he stuck a bush and had to edit ? lol It was cool to watch tho .

Post 08 Jul 2021, 11:05 • #9 
Master Guide
That's the first thing I thought... "No fish?"

His reel sure wasn't "new gear" though... that old Ambassador came out in the '70s, I believe. They sell for big bucks these days.

Post 11 Jul 2021, 19:14 • #10 
Guide
Watch his other videos. He catches plenty of fish.

That fiberglass rod he is using a on the order of 1000 USD. Reel similar or more.

No need for such stuff to creek fish though. You can put together a nice BFS setup for 50-200 USD, depending on your tastes and willingness to modify a reel.

Post 24 Jul 2021, 08:26 • #11 
Master Guide
jgill0056 wrote:
Does anyone here have experience with graywolf's baitcast and spinning rods?

To answer your original question, I have one of Shane’s UL troutsmith S-glass spinning rods, a 5’ 3pc. As with everything Graywolf it’s a beautiful rod; it casts and fights fish very well. Highly recommend. I’m intrigued by his new baitcasters.

Post 24 Jul 2021, 10:46 • #12 
I ended up buying one from him. Very nice fishing rod. Tip is extremely light like my 1wt fly rod. Casts 1/8 and smaller lure with ease. Unfortunately I haven't had time to hit the trout streams with it yet. Just got it in yesterday. Been lawn casting it with an 1/8 oz drop shot weight.

Post 24 Jul 2021, 10:57 • #13 
Piscator
but Which one?
They look neat, but the lengths look like they have different uses.

Post 24 Jul 2021, 11:27 • #14 
I bought the 6' one. The 5'3" would probably be better for the mountain streams here but I wanted one I could use on my bass ponds back home also. Here's a few pictures of mine.

Post 24 Jul 2021, 11:33 • #15 
Piscator
thanks - interesting rods, and I bet it will fit small water well.
Timing is always easier casting a bit longer rod.

Post 24 Jul 2021, 11:52 • #16 
Sorry I tried to upload pictures but for some reason it wouldn't take from my cell phone.

[Added the links - the photos look great. They uploaded fine, but the last step of placing the photos wasn't done. For what it is worth, that is difficult to do on many cell phones. Tom]

Post 25 Jul 2021, 16:14 • #17 
Piscator
the file size is probably too large - you may be able to size them smaller on your phone

Post 26 Jul 2021, 02:24 • #18 
Administrator
Did you add the photos to your post?

Briefly,
  • Choose your images from your phone
  • Upload those images to the forum
  • Click your cursor where you want the photo
  • Then click the image code for the photo, which adds the photo to your post
  • Click the preview button to see how it looks

Check the photo posting thread for details.

Tom

Post 03 Aug 2021, 19:50 • #19 
Guide
That's a beauty! Thanks for sharing.

jgill0056 wrote:
Sorry I tried to upload pictures but for some reason it wouldn't take from my cell phone.

[Added the links - the photos look great. They uploaded fine, but the last step of placing the photos wasn't done. For what it is worth, that is difficult to do on many cell phones. Tom]

Post 02 Nov 2021, 14:34 • #20 
Sport
Any updates on this? Curious to as how the action is. I heard that some of the graywolf spin/fly builds were too noodly.

Post 02 Nov 2021, 14:59 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I have a 7' 3-piece ultralight spinning rod of his, bought this past summer. I believe it is e-glass.

It is kinda noodly, yes. I tried it side-by-side at the casting pools with the same reel / line / test weight as a 7' graphite Daiwa ultralight pack rod, and the Daiwa cast about 10' farther, at least for my minimal skills. YMMV

I enjoy using the Trout Smith a lot more, though :) It has certainly caught me a bunch of trout in high country lakes this summer.

I prefer to fly fish, but sometimes mixing it up isn't a bad thing.

New Topic Add Reply