It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Jun 2021, 10:40 • #1 
Sport
I’ve recently taken up rambling around the woods with my teenage granddaughter in tow. We’ve been flyfishing a small stream or two and lounging around the jeep-camp afterwards, but now we’re also taking some hikes with backpacks and basic comfort gear, doing a little fishing, setting up a daycamp, cooking lunch, loafing around, etc..
For most of these day hikes into the lakes in the Sierra Nevadas a spinning setup with spinners and spoons is really much more effective for roaming the shoreline, especially for a kid. Less challenging, higher success rate. I’ve been trying to find a nice little 4 piece pack rod. Looked at graphite first, finding either cheap junk or rather expensive and not even in stock (the St Croix 6’ 4 pc light Triumph travel rod @ $150 looks a little spendy but doable and likely a good rod, but out of stock at the moment). Does anyone know of any reasonably priced ($150 or less) 4 piece glass spinning rods that cast 1/8-3/8 oz lures nicely with a fun action? On the cheaper end, how is the Eagleclaw pack rod? We have one of the Eagleclaw glass flyrod (the 3 weight) and really like it.

Post 25 Jun 2021, 15:01 • #2 
Piscator
I would definitely look to JDM market - multipiece rods are very important to them - has to do with traveling everywhere on trains and a cultural need to save face.
Shopping in Japan is always a good deal when the dollar is more than 100 JPY. It's currently at 113.
Not the easiest place to shop, but the best discounts in Japan.
Look at Asian Portal.
Click on rod/spinning, go through the rod brands one-at-a-time - yellow tags are stock.
They have more UL in stock now than most anything else.
If it's over $100, ships FedEx express gratis, and will be here in about 4 days.

Post 25 Jun 2021, 18:02 • #3 
Sport
Thanks Bulldog, I’ll take a look.

Post 25 Jun 2021, 18:55 • #4 
Piscator
doesn't fit your need at all, but here's a stunning Valleyhill all-range BFS bass rod I picked up earlier this year.
Note the wide lure range - there's nothing tippy or soft on this rod - it will fish that full range - and it will cast 1/16 oz to 100' (of course, the reel set-up helps)

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 02 Jul 2021, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Jun 2021, 17:54 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
the vintage Fenwick SF (spin-fly) range is exactly what you need.. there's a SF 74-4 and 75-5.
These should be available for well under $150, but may take some time to find them at that price. There are always some overpriced ones on ebay, avoid.
I have both and prefer the 75-5 which is 7.5ft and 5 pieces, but either would work well for light trout spinning.

Catches pike and bass too ;-)

Post 01 Jul 2021, 08:54 • #6 
Guide
Hiking in to fishing is the best.

I’ve recently used a 1970s 7 foot 4 piece Orvis Fullflex A spin fly to fish some mountain lakes and was pleasantly surprised how well it did in both modes. This is the brown blank that Orvis rolled in house but there’s also an earlier Phillipson yellow blanked version.

But the grip rings won’t accommodate all spinning reels - the foot on my Penn 716Z is too thick for it. Orvis matched it with their 50A, I believe.

A should be cheaper option people have written good things about here is the Berkley Buccaneer.

Post 01 Jul 2021, 11:27 • #7 
Guide
I have the 5’6” st croix triumph rod and it’s good. Mine has done plenty of duty, and never disappoints.

For that type of fishing I’d bring flies and casting bubbles.

Post 03 Jul 2021, 22:10 • #8 
Master Guide
I am quite impressed by the Daiwa Spinmatic 4-piece ultralight rods. Graphite, but whatcha gonna do.

Post 15 Jul 2021, 01:30 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I have a 4 piece 7' "Daiwa Presso Ultralight Spinning Pack Rod" for just such occasions. IM7 graphite, several lengths, usually available at fishusa dot com. Works quite well with 4# nanofil and small kastmasters and so on.

Last weekend in the Sierra

(It was an all graphite trip for me, brought the skillet)

Post 15 Jul 2021, 07:54 • #10 
Piscator
However gorgeous, eastern brookies stocked in western summit lakes make great dinner.
The Daiwa multipiece rods have a big fan club.

Post 15 Jul 2021, 11:05 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Now that I think about it, I also have one of those St. Croix Triumph travel spinning rods, in the 5'6" ultralight length, 4-piece. I don't use it often, but I recall it being a nice compact rod.

New Topic Add Reply