It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Jun 2021, 23:54 • #1 
Guide
Recently came across this reel at one of the local pawn shops. It is in really good shape, so I had to buy two boat rods and another Pflueger bait caster to get the guy to come off of it. Tried to find some info about manufacturing date, etc. So far, no luck. Anyone have any info they might share? Definitely not fly related, but still an awesome reel, in my opinion.

Post 23 Jun 2021, 09:29 • #2 
Piscator
That's a pfun pfind in great condition.
I can tell you Pflueger began marking their reels with their tradename, model name, and the bulldog in 1915.
Your reel dates pretty close to that because of the simplistic style of the bulldog stamp.
The wood thumb pad is so trick, and in such great shape.

The Pflueger guy on ORCA is Prof Robert A Moore, aka - RAM, Bad Bob.
Bob has written the Pflueger column in The Reel News since its inception, pretty much knows all Pflueger print by heart, and can cite dates from it all.

As cool as it is, officially 100-y-o antique, value will still be modest, around $100. The Pflueger offshore reels that demand highest price (Avalon) have the foil + lacquer model name + bulldog badge like my Avatar.

This is the bulldog stamp that originated in 1915, next to the second bulldog stamp
Image Image
and of course, the lacquer foil

I have one 100-yd Oceanic very similar to your reel (later stamp), Williams drag and leather thumb pad
Never loaded it, but at the far left is 100 yds of Ashaway linen cuttyhunk, 72-lb test, on connected spools.
Also have a great offshore H-I rod, nickel-silver hardware, and guides on both sides of the blade to reverse fishing set.

Post 23 Jun 2021, 12:39 • #3 
Guide
Thanks for the info Bulldog! I need to brush up on my Pfleuger history. For some reason, I tend to come across them more than any other reel.

Post 23 Jun 2021, 17:08 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I think that is probably simple enough. The reason is that they were reasonably priced, quality products from a major manufacturer. Obviously, this would vary from model to model, but by and large, they were more commonly available and produced in greater numbers than most other makes. Thanks for showing that neat piece.

Post 24 Jun 2021, 16:05 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Such a cool find, and man o man what great condition. That is big fun...congrats and thanks for sharing.

Post 25 Jun 2021, 00:17 • #6 
Guide
I’m having reel envy looking at all those reels! Modern reels, in my opinion, do not have the same “bling” factor. The older reels are like art, and have just enough craftsmanship that make them perfect for displaying.

Post 25 Jun 2021, 08:47 • #7 
Piscator
especially the combination of ebonite and nickel silver.
In fly reels, that gets you Hawkeye, Golden West, Leonard by Philbrook & Payne, and EVH.

Here's a beauty multiplier that burned a hole in my pocket - way too easy to sell.
The Abbey Casting reel, most certainly made by Montague.
Image Image

Another, this one nickel-plated brass, and great marking - Pflueger trade reel with Sterling trademark for Wittemore sporting goods of Boston.
Also too easy to sell.
Image Image

This one is in my collection - Pflueger Capitol, and a $5 unopposed ebay win from a bad photographer - my first ebonite acquisition.
If you look at my display shelf photo, front left is the 2nd model Pflueger Capitol with metal face plate.
Image Image

Paper copy has a way of raising reel values, mostly because a reel in a book has instant provenance.
Some of the greatest collector-demand reels made the pages of Doc Henshall's Book of the Black Bass, (1881, but 1904 rev with the 1st aftermarket LW patent).

Post 25 Jun 2021, 22:51 • #8 
Guide
There is something about the way they are built that makes you want to own more of them. I think I’ve jumped headfirst into a rabbit hole…

Post 25 Jun 2021, 23:08 • #9 
Piscator
Both Oceanic and Bond also have free spool.

Post 26 Jun 2021, 10:48 • #10 
Guide
Quick question about Brasso..... yes or no? I've read a couple different posts on other sites that it is good for cleaning/polishing the old German silver reels. I'm not so sure about getting it on the Ebonite/ Bakelite on the older reels.

Post 26 Jun 2021, 11:40 • #11 
Piscator
Brasso has ammonia, and I would keep it away.
Also remember vinegar bath on aged ebonite will release the carbon black from the surface oxidized layer and turn it leathery brown.
Still ok to use vinegar bath with close control, and of course, the parts without ebonite can stay in the bath longer.

If you want to polish, I would use Pol or Simichrome.

1884 JVH patent Spalding Kosmic (not my $4000 reel, I was hired to restore it)

Image Image

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 27 Jun 2021, 05:48, edited 2 times in total.

Post 26 Jun 2021, 22:07 • #12 
Guide
Well, the rabbit hole is getting deeper with the vintage bait casters. Added a South Bend Mod G No. 550, Pflueger Skilkast No. 1953, and a Pflueger Akron No. 1893.

Post 27 Jun 2021, 11:18 • #13 
Piscator
be careful - might want to set some targets for yourself early.
Before long, shelf space becomes the coveted item.
Mine was never buy anything people wouldn't line up to buy from me for at least what I paid - avoid curiosity purchases, and know what you're after.
One of my targets was quality nickel silver NLW - Meek, Talbot, Shakespeare and Jack Welch Heddon, because of their outrageous cast distance and, of course, benchmade quality.
Though summer is a better time to buy because of outdoor activities, you're still in one of the strongest seller's markets ever.

The Skilkast, btw, is one of my favorite reels to cast and fish, because it has fine control on spool end-tension adjustment.
Here on Heddon Pal Standard glass rod, and 10-lb original camo nylon braid, plus a Cub drag handle
Not a very photogenic reel because of the reflective surfaces.

One of my targets was level-wind patents that had to compete with Marhoff before 1928.
Though I never pursued hard enough to get a Beetzsel or windshield-wiper Jack Welch Heddon 4-15, no question people would line up to buy my Shakespeare B or Douglas patent 1st model Supreme (+ NLW Heddon 3-15, Talbot Niangua, Shakespeare Perfect, Pflueger Redifor 1st centrifugal brake patent).

If you're shopping antique shops, get friendly. They'll have on display the common reels they know. Stashed away elsewhere, they may have the rare reels they don't understand. A local collector friend was hired for public relations - mostly to decorate the new BPS with local vintage outdoor sports photos and curios. In tourist town Fredericksburg, she asked to see the chicken coop where he stashed reels that weren't on display. She bought his doorstop for $55. Turned out to be an uncatalogued 13/0 Kovalovsky, and sold in auction for $4000. (and I agree, that may not have been the friendliest gesture)

Post 27 Jun 2021, 15:01 • #14 
Guide
Great point Bulldog! I went through a vintage Zebco 33 phase a few years back, and bought every one I came across. Working and non-working; as long as they had the brass gears (then it was any 33 that I found). Needless to say, they are just sitting in the garage collecting dust now.

New Topic Add Reply