It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:51

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Mar 2021, 22:15 • #1 
Master Guide
I was at a fishing flea market in Baltimore Md over the weekend and scored This “closet fresh” Garcia Conolon 2112-A 7ft 5star spinning rod with a sweet Original Penn 712z spinning reel .

My Dad fished Garcia rods and had 2 brown rods a 6.5ft 1Star and 7ft 2star that we’re both stolen from our shed in 1990 .
My pops passed away in 03 and I always swore I’d get a nice Brown Garcia Rod to remember him by.
My wife said my pops sent this rod to me from heaven ,
Since the Penn was spooled with Stren golden fluorescent line and that’s the ONLY line I used in the 80’s as a kid (it looked so good on my blk/gold abu-Garcia Cardinal reels)

Although my dad fished his Garcia’s with Mitchell 300s he sent the Penn as an upgrade because I had such a problem “birds nesting”
his Mitchell’s .. Lol
All for the Low Low price of $5

Definitely a gift from above or otherwise I need to find that horseshoe stuck up me somewhere.
Rod cleaned up real nice..

shining like a new diamond now.
Next it’s off to Toms custom Rods in Belair Md to fix and seal the cork ,Maybe a little epoxy on the hook keeper wrap ,
I’m gonna send the reel to a local reel repair Shop for an internal cleaning/check up and maybe a drag upgrade to the newer 712z’ specs .
It’s Gonna make a nice inshore or Susquehanna “striper” rod.
Might make a good snakehead rod too.
The Penn reel balances perfect on the rod.

Tight lines to all you Conolon Cultists ...

Post 17 Mar 2021, 22:34 • #2 
Piscator
that's a classic salty combo from the time that Penn and Conolon were kings.

Post 17 Mar 2021, 22:57 • #3 
Master Guide
Congratulations! What an awesome find at a spectacular price. The rod and reel look immaculate.

Post 18 Mar 2021, 03:39 • #4 
Guide
what a great score! congrats.

Post 18 Mar 2021, 05:15 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
wow!

Post 18 Mar 2021, 06:54 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Phew ! That's the way to get good stuff ! I had to check if that was my tacklebox, which, thank goodness for your string of good fortune, is still on the shelf in the basement. So yours, even without the plastic worms melted into the upper right tray, is well worth a dollar, even without the River Runts, Hula Poppers, and Jitterbugs inside. But there must have been something in there that added to the excitement of the find when you opened the box. Maybe a few worn out Garcia 304s? At least a pack of snap swivels and Eagle Claw bait hooks. Would enjoy hearing about/seeing more of the contents.

Post 18 Mar 2021, 08:17 • #7 
Guide
Beauties! That is an awesome combo and an incredible deal. Enjoy!

Post 18 Mar 2021, 10:20 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I had a yellow four or five star Conolon with a metal male spigot ferrule and that same butt cap that was my "bass" rod.

I traded it in for a 20% discount on a graphite Orvis Limestone Special which I still have...

...boy, do I wish I paid full price for that rod and still had both!!

Great score!!

Last edited by Bamboozle on 20 Mar 2021, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Mar 2021, 15:23 • #9 
Guide

What a fantastic find. The Penn Spinfishers are great reels and relatively easy to disassemble, clean and repair. Replacement parts are still available from Mystic Parts and eReplacementParts to include the HT100 drag washers. If you haven't already sent the reel in for cleaning you could save some money by doing the work yourself. I've attached a photo of the internals of my Penn 710. The internals of your 712Z are very similar. Mike

Post 19 Mar 2021, 01:08 • #10 
Master Guide
Thanks for the responses Skunkedalot, Trev, and fishfishwish

Bulldog , With the Penn it most definitely is a salty dog combo. Schoolie Stripers and Gator Specks BEware the 5Star.

Baldlnobber1 the rod is in great shape a few scuffs and scrapes here and there It cleaned up rather well it did have a bit of patina..
The reel is immaculate , it doesn’t have a scratch on it.

Bamboozle the few yellow star rods Ive seen were fished hard and put away wet I’ve yet to come across a decent one. Garcia rocked a lot of the browns , blue, and green ones Vs the yellow.
And hey an Unsanded Orvis graphite rod Via the yellow 4 star ,ain’t a bade trade off at all .
I would have done it in a heartbeat and not thought twice, got a lot of love for the Unsanded Rods.

Whirlpool, I checked the old timey Tackle box
Nothing but this rubber band, a spring,and some pencil/metal shavings

I love a Flea market or Craigslist “mystery” tackle box. The filled mystery boxes at the flea market were starting at $35.

Mike thanks for the open cover pic.
This reel Is so mint i doubt it needs much.
What lube should I use. The Blue “Penn” grease? Do you recommend anything else. I know zippo about Penns other than my brother has A ton of Penn offshore rods/reels

Just popped the spool. Barely even needed a wipe under the spool.

Drag looked fine a well

I will report back on this rods progress to the water

Post 19 Mar 2021, 01:30 • #11 
Guide
I use either the blue Penn Grease or Quantum Hot Sauce depending on what I have on hand. I use grease on the gears and reel oil on the other moving parts like the anti-reverse and bail parts. The key is to use grease and oil designed for fishing reels. The main thing on the older reels is to remove any old, dried up grease. lt's a tedious and messy job, but it's not difficult. Old grease can hold contaminants that will eventually cause premature wear, and dried grease acts like glue to prevent easy movement of parts. Q-tips, a wire brush, and a dental pic are helpful when removing old grease. Take pictures before/while disassembling the reel. These can be a life saver if you get stuck during the reassembly process. You can find reel schematics for the Penn reels on the Mystic Parts website, and there are a number of tutorial videos available online.

Post 08 Apr 2021, 18:03 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Very happy for you, what a great find! Beautiful rod and reel...Congrats

Post 14 Apr 2021, 17:43 • #13 
Sport
That is a really nice reel, whatever the price. I wish I could luck into one like that.

Post 14 Apr 2021, 20:11 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
WOW is right man!!!

Post 04 May 2021, 07:54 • #15 
Master Guide
Any fish photos to share yet with this vintage setup?

New Topic Add Reply