It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Feb 2021, 03:34 • #1 
Emeritus
Hello,
I am looking for one more reel to buy this winter. I have a bunch of Ticas sized from sx1500-sx3000
I'm looking for something a little larger than the Tica sx1500 and a little smaller than the sx2500. I will likely buy a 2500 size reel either Diawa or Shimano probably.
I've been browsing the JDM tackle websites and considering going that route. I will probably pair the reel with a
St. Croix Avid AVS70MLF2. This is a 7' medium light rod. The outfit will be used for smallmouth bass.
I like hunting for stuff that is otherwise unavailable here so that's why I'm looking JDM and maybe looking for something available in Japan that's not available here (like to impress my fishing buddies)
Any recommendations?
Thanks

Post 07 Feb 2021, 12:11 • #2 
Piscator
Hey Paul, the nice thing about going JDM is you have the option to buy lower-speed gearing and braid-specific spools.
The Japan list of model offerings includes many different drive ratios and spool depths, with shallow spools designed just for braid, and deeper spools for loading fluorocarbon.

Size-wise, I think you're asking for a 2000 size Daiwa or a 2500/3000 size Shimano. Note Shimano's 3000 is the same body as the 2500 with a larger spool diameter. When you go to Daiwa 3000, it's the size of Shimano 4000 (like Tica).

The best place to sort out the gear ratios and spool capacities in JDM models is to search the reel on JP FishingTackle News
Very typically, there are 14 or 15 JDM sizes for each reel model, v. 5 or 6 high-speed versions exported to USM.
(The Japanese also have 14 or 15 different Offshore niches for those reels.)
If you want to convert PE line # to mono diameter, use This Chart
If you want to calculate capacities for different diameters of braid and fluorocarbon, This is the best line capacity calculator available.

I've been so floored with Shimano since the '18 Stella, I'm a better student of their offerings, have picked up as many of those as you have Ticas, and can tell you just about everything about Shimano's line following Stella.
But wouldn't rule out Daiwa - I have an inshore braid size Daiwa in my sights, also.

The whole issue is confused by use of catchy tradenames to describe both manufacturing and functional features on both brands of reels. Daiwa uses more physical seals and ferro-fluid mag seal bearings. Shimano simply uses hydrophobic surface coatings and labyrinth seals, which aren't overnight-immersion-proof, but make water ingress during operation impossible.
In both brands, newer models will have larger, finer-teeth drive gears and stiffer spindles suitable for higher drag loads.

Shimano and Daiwa are in competition for line management, smooth operation, and light weight. IMO, Daiwa wins the light weight, and Shimano wins the other two. I'm going to say up front I wouldn't consider either brand in the less-than-$200 US-market bracket - they have to cut too many corners to keep the cost down.
For big salty reels, the high-grade Penns are still worth buying, but they don't make a reel I'd consider for your niche.
Lower prices, IMO, you'll get a better-built reel in Tica, Okuma, and Tsunami (outside this list, consider cheap offshore brands to be disposable).

I haven't yet figured this out for Daiwa, but here's the breakdown on Shimano models that have followed and copied '18 Stella.
Stella, btw, is all stainless drive, which is essentially wear-proof, use of titanium to save weight, magnesium body and rotor.
Every new '19 and '20 Shimano model will exchange parts with Stella, and every one uses Stella's over-designed roller bearing clutch.
Every reel in the new Shimano line also uses the Stella drive reproduced in the same wear-treated aluminum alloy gears (also where Daiwa gets their light weight). Higher grades will fit in a few titanium weight-saving parts.

Aside from that, the big difference for Shimano models is frame and rotor MOC. (This will hold for Daiwa, as well, but I haven't figured out their hierarchy yet.) Weight is not a bad thing, because it usually means a stiffer, longer-wearing reel.
'18 Stella is magnesium frame and rotor.
'20 Twin Power is aluminum frame and aluminum rotor.
'19 Vanquish is magnesium frame and CI4+ (composite) rotor.
(every reel above is built in Japan with parts-matching for improved inertia and smoothness - reels below from Malaysia line)
'20 Vanford is Ci4+ frame and and CI4+ rotor (in older models, this grade is Stradic CI4+)
'19 Stradic is aluminum frame and CI4+ rotor. .
(I wouldn't consider a Shimano model that isn't on this list, unless you're looking for features like bait-feed and lever-drag)

Maybe Tom can chime in with his views on Daiwa.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 08 Feb 2021, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Feb 2021, 12:31 • #3 
Emeritus
Is your black reel a Vanquish with custom spool?

Post 07 Feb 2021, 14:03 • #4 
Piscator
exactly - I have Stradics and Vanquish in 1000-2000 size, which all share S-27 spool stroke.
Have the small Vanquish spool loaded with 6-lb braid, moved into a spare spool can to support all 3 reels, and pimped the Vanquish with larger-capacity F6 spool from Complex (a JDM limited-run pimp-flash Stella).
Also hung up on double and counter-balanced handles on spinning reels.

Likewise, the blue Colt Sniper S-28-stroke spool on the larger Stradic 4000, with stock Stradic 4000 spool backing up my two larger Stradics (4000/5000).
In this case, the spool I added was shallower braid capacity.

I'm also not a fan of Shimano's line roller for salt use - I actually like Tica's better - all my Shimano's have MTCW titanium line rollers.

Post 07 Feb 2021, 23:57 • #5 
Emeritus
Thanks Ron,
Do you have a JDM dealer that you like? Someone recommended Digitaka to me. It looks like they are out of stock on a lot of reels.

Post 08 Feb 2021, 12:02 • #6 
Piscator
most of Japan is out of stock on most reels - you have to buy from stock they have, and know how to find that on their website, which may mean sorting through everything.
Asian Portal has the best prices and free Fed-Ex Express. Very slow site to navigate, and the prices are worth the trouble.
I bought two Stradics there, $50 and $60 below USM retail (plus free express), and my Vanquish $120 below JDM retail.
Asian Portal is the place to shop first for any $100+ item.

People on tackle forums (Bass Resource) are getting spooked because AP communication is very bad right now, they take a few days to get your order out, and you need to rely on your separate Paypal and Fed-Ex communication links to know about your order. However, with a log-in there, you can check order status through your account. I'm sure it's an immediate staffing skills issue, but their system is getting great deals out the door and here in a hurry.
E.g., the Daiwa double handle I put on the Cetus was $116 with free Fed-Express from AP, v. $143 and you pay shipping from Hedgehog - the trick is finding the item on their website.
Start at the top of their Reels entry link and check New Arrivals first.
If what you want isn't there, go to the Spinning reels page, pick the Maker, and use the Price-range links on the left column, then go through every page, looking for the yellow add-to-cart button for stock. On almost all Japan websites, newer listings will come up first, but that rare reel you want to find may be old stock, so keep going.

Japan Tackle is an easier website to navigate, good prices, not quite so stunning, excellent communication, and you pay shipping. Jun has excellent English and is very helpful.
Navigating his website makes a little more sense than most in Japan, and service is first rate.

Plat has a really pretty website, slow to function because of its layers, and again, to find stock, best begin with their News Page, especially if you're looking for a rod.
Their search function works better with English than most every other Japan website.
Their catalog listings are in alphanumeric ascending order, so newer reels will be toward the back pages by year model introduction. They have excellent service, though limited English, and will check maker stock for you on just about anything you want. They're also the place to buy repair parts for all reels. They usually offer free express shipping on pricey items, and good prices, but not huge discounts.

Hedgehog doesn't sell reels, only tuning parts, can find them all there, and pay retail plus Express shipping - they also get orders out the door yesterday.

Japan sites aimed at US market are really nice compared to the old days of Japan shopping only through a broker, but for some sites, like Squid Mania, you still have to use a broker. These Livre add-on hook keepers are SM proprietary - I just bought 3 through Zen Market - their broker fee was only $3, which they also gave me as a sign-up bonus.
With any broker service, you have to pay domestic shipping + international.
Noppin (formerly Crescent Shop) is located in an Emergency Zone - they're not getting domestic mail service - and have shut down operations until May. A shame, because Masamichi there is one of the really helpful types with great English - he scored my Hermit reel a dozen years ago, and did an amazing job getting my custom-rolled Izch inshore para ordered and delivered. He got the 5' staggered-ferrule tip past the shipping length restriction by building a trapezoidal shipping box. He also ordered and delivered my first two Takamiya XUL and UL rockfish rods - buying through him was cheapter than Rakuten because of shipping.

of course not everybody has to have reel stands and custom handles - most are happy with their reels as delivered.
I've found the functional side of customizing reels, and like to tune my reels the way I want them - if that also dresses them up, so much the better.

Post 08 Feb 2021, 13:01 • #7 
Emeritus
I like the look of the Twin Power. It looks like Digitaka has good stock and good prices.
I am thinking the Twin Power 2500shg

Post 08 Feb 2021, 13:29 • #8 
Piscator
I think that's a Great choice, but check capacity - if it's not enough, go for one of the 3000 sizes.
https://www.jpfishingtacklenews.com/fin ... ning-reel/
Note that #2 is 8-lb test equivalent mono line diameter
120 yards of 15-20-lb braid is great for braid, but it's not deep enough for 10-lb mono

Note these are all the same reel with different gears and spool diameter/depth
If you want to fish mono or slightly thinner fluoro, I would pick the C3000 for low-gear, and C3000XG for high-gear.
Later, you can always add any spool on this list, e.g., a braid spool and a fluoro spool.

If you want to get exact numbers for a specific fluorocarbon test, get that line diameter and take it to the Pattaya capacity calculator

Post 08 Feb 2021, 13:39 • #9 
Emeritus
Is the 3000 twin power the same reel Frame size as the 2500?

Post 08 Feb 2021, 13:47 • #10 
Piscator
yes, the 210-g v. 215-g weight difference - 5 g - is in the larger diameter spool

You see the 3000MHG jumps up in weight because it has beefed up drive for increased drag capacity - it's an inshore braid reel.
Everything I cropped out is the mid-size frame

The 4000/5000 size reels are S-28 spool stroke in the larger frame.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 08 Feb 2021, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post 08 Feb 2021, 13:47 • #11 
Emeritus
Thanks for that info Ron,
I think I will look at the 3000 size then. I will mostly use mono with this I think. Likely 6 pound or 8 pound.

Post 08 Feb 2021, 13:54 • #12 
Guide
I was originally a Daiwa fan in my youth and still have my original Daiwa Minispin MS-18 with pistol grip! I switched heavily to Shimano in my late teens and only recently ventured into Tica (Thanks to Bulldog's Tica thread here on the forum) for something different and less pricey. This winter I came full circle back to Daiwa mainly for ice fishing as I won't take my more expensive Shimano's on the ice.
I have to say for the price point the Daiwa Revros LT is very smooth and perfectly suitable for my use on hardwater. Having said that, depending on your price point, you might want to consider the Daiwa Fuego LT or Saltist Backbay LT or new BG MQ as I understand these to be geared toward inshore/saltwater use (by implementing MagSeal on the Fuego and Saltist Backbay LT or monocoq design in the BG MQ).
I'm actually considering the Ceymar Baitfeeder for my next ice reel for deadsticking walleye.

FWIW, here is a comparison of the Daiwa Revros LT 2000 vs Tica Libra 1500. Looks to be very similar in overall size to me.

Last edited by Eastslope on 08 Feb 2021, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

Post 08 Feb 2021, 15:11 • #13 
Piscator
I think it's Paul's Tica thread, and probably no accident Daiwa reel sizes closely match Tica sizes - Tica builds many of Daiwa's reels, though they are independent companies with different histories. Daiwa came from Olympic/Seiko, building Daisy Heddons, and Tica came from offshore big game conventional reels in the 60s.
I fished through my MiniCast, but it did land my largest bass, 6-1/2 lbs, until I beat that on fly rod many times over when grown.

Again Paul, note the mid-size Shimano frame is going to be smaller than Daiwa or Tica with a the same number.

Post 08 Feb 2021, 15:32 • #14 
Emeritus
Thanks again,
In terms of size, that is exactly what I want. A little smaller than the Tica 2500 and a little larger than the 1500
Talk to you soon

Post 08 Feb 2021, 16:30 • #15 
Guide
I'm sorry Paul, I didn't realize you wanted this reel for smallmouth bass. Please scratch my suggestions for an inshore reel. I can say my standard reel for small pike/smallmouth bass has been the Shimano 2500. FWIW the Symetre 2500 is slightly larger than the Libra SX1500/Daiwa 2000.

Post 09 Feb 2021, 09:29 • #16 
Piscator
Daiwa introduced their JDM answer to Vanford last year in the '20 Luvias.
This year, all the JDM vendors have pre-purchase reserve going for Daiwa's answer to the Vanquish, the '21 Luvias Airity (same reel with magnesium frame and composite rotor).
Note, the Luvias models are offered with a range of spool capacities, and, especially, shallow braid spools, which is a plus for Daiwa.
IMO, most Daiwa USM offerings have excessive spool capacity for braid use.
Daiwa also has a new and better line roller.

Post 09 Feb 2021, 11:43 • #17 
Emeritus
Thanks for the information and size comparison

New Topic Add Reply