It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:36

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Jan 2021, 10:50 • #1 
The other day I was at the goodwill and came across a Hi-Utica tournament taper rod numbered 1325. Its a 2 piece rod with a reel. Anybody know anything about the number rod it is? Its not a bad rod and I managed to get it for 7 bucks. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

Post 26 Jan 2021, 00:05 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not sure about the 1325. The Utica series came out in 1955. The model 1322 was an 8 1/2' rod that sold for $10. It used the same blank as the more expensive rods, but used less expensive guides, ferrules, and grips. Had only 5 guides, so adding more guides might help the casting, maybe not. I had a Mohawk Rainbow, which probably had the same blank but was slightly more expensive. The Mohawk cast pretty well.

Larry

Post 26 Jan 2021, 09:54 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hello, Chillin.... H-I (Horrocks Ibbotson), like the nearby Martin Reel Company, is a grand old name in fishing tackle. Many product lines as well as tackle manufactured for merchants. Product lines reflecting the names of New York state waterways near their home base.

Sooner or later, someone will be able to nail that one down. In the meantime, photos, or a description with details of length, colors, fittings, and so on might help. Canoeman may know, but I even wondered at the designation "tournament taper," which, if used in that time period, seems more likely for a casting rod than a fly rod. But it certainly could be a constant across a fly rod series and apparently was used for a "fast" action fly rod.

You can probably sort out a lot more about the rod while learning about its manufacturer using the search function here. Try various combinations with H-I but also search using the full name, Horrocks Ibbotson. It is hard to remember how to spell, and I never did know how to pronounce it, which didn't matter skittering up and down the Mohawk River in a v-hull, jumping barge wakes, and bass fishing in the backwaters and old canalways.

Neat rod to have from a historic manufacturing region. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54459&p=249462&hilit=Horrocks+Ibbotson#p249462
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48000&p=200047&hilit=tournament+taper#p200047

Post 26 Jan 2021, 10:24 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I just sold a "Tournament Taper" HI fly rod, they put that on a lot of their fly rods, even their low end rods. Mine was a 3pc, don't recall number.

Post 30 Jan 2021, 04:37 • #5 
Thank you. I am reading all the info on the responses. You guys are right I should have included a pic. I will work on that. I can say its a two piece rod with 6 eyes. The reel is a Shakespeare Ball Bearing 2210. Brown rod with black, chrome, and cork handle. Aside from Tournament Taper it says "Rigid Butt-Sensitive tip. Also says thermo weld process" and "Chrome plated stainless steal". Is that more helpful? Update: after looking at those two links, I think the second link sounds what I have.

Post 30 Jan 2021, 10:55 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
The term "Thermo Weld" was used later in their rod building, does it have a metal ferrule?? Pictures please.

Post 30 Jan 2021, 11:08 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, pics and descriptive details. The Shakespeare reel is an open-faced spinning reel. It could have been used with a fly rod, but I wonder if that is a spinning rod. Position of reel seat (midway in grip, or below it?) and length of the rod would be indicators. Are the guides snake guides or full ring, declining in size to the tip top? On a spinning rod, the lowermost guide would be about the size of a quarter or half dollar.
Don't know if "tournament taper" was used only for H-I fly rods or also for spinning rods. With the right details, we'll get to the bottom of it.

Post 30 Jan 2021, 15:11 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Methinks you are on to something.......sounds like a spinning rod!

Chilin, if you are having issues with pictures you could email em to me and I can get em up. Send me a pm if needed

Post 19 Feb 2021, 02:43 • #9 
Sorry guys been a little busy but will get those pics up soon. Thanks for your help.

Post 19 Feb 2021, 12:56 • #10 
Glass Fanatic

Yup, it's a spinning rod.

Post 19 Feb 2021, 15:23 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
All right ! Either you found an HI 1325 out in the garage or the OP took you up on the offer to help with pics. Either way, thanks Magic. I'll move this to the "Another Spin..." section in case others have info to add.

Post 19 Feb 2021, 18:33 • #12 
I took him up with the help on the pics. My phone wouldn't let me upload them to the site. Thanks

New Topic Add Reply