It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:05

New Topic Add Reply
Tiny lures
Post 09 Jan 2021, 19:07 • #1 
Piscator
Salty winters here, we imitate two main baits
Big mullet for big specs on giant 5" Corkys neutral density (soft) twitchbaits - 7/8 oz

And tiny winter glass minnows in balls.
Showing some diminutive plugs and spoons modified for imitating winter glass minnows on salt UL rockfish rods.
These are 30 to 50 mm, 2.5 to 3.5 g (1/8 oz) - all weighted sinking.
They're sold in Japan for freshwater trout, and came with fine-wire bronzed hooks, which I swapped with salty Owner singles (#6) and Vanfook stingers.

Showing a range of lures here - the largest is 2-3/4" (70 mm), 3/16 oz
The smallest plug on top is 35 mm, with size 18 stainless trebles - I don't have small enough split ring pliers to change the hooks

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 10 Jan 2021, 08:24, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Tiny lures
Post 09 Jan 2021, 19:37 • #2 
Guide
Can't believe that largest one is only 2 3/4" those look like good creek lures!

Post 09 Jan 2021, 21:09 • #3 
Piscator
They are Japanese creek lures.
In the winter here, they're what you need to imitate the natural bait on the flats.
We've seen a dozen redfish sitting on the edge of the shoal looking into the drop, and they were sipping glass minnows.
Specs will hit the flash, and many catch them in winter on larger lures that flash - the impression must be of a turning glass minnow ball, and they slash into it.
But redfish are pickier about the size - and proximity - they're not going to work hard to snag a tiny morsel.

Have been out when the wind built up a blow - chased us in, of course - the wind-driven waves pushed 1-2" glass minnows though scupper holes onto kayak cockpit deck.
You also see balls of glass minnows under the dock lights at night, and it's amazing how small they are.

Post 09 Jan 2021, 21:35 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The little spoons?

Post 10 Jan 2021, 00:43 • #5 
Piscator
Trev, I don't understand the question - two are flashy for daytime, one is glow for night.
They're smaller lures that will cast farther than the "larger" lures. (30 mm v. 50 mm and least 1/2-g heavier).
Pretty sure they'd do glass minnows for either trout or redfish.

The smallest plug I show, 35 mm, is also relatively heavy to cast far, but slow sinking, and made to give big action with slow retrieve.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 10 Jan 2021, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 Jan 2021, 03:09 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Ron, I was just wondering about the source of the spoons, they don't look like commercial offerings that I've seen. (size/weight curious also) but on the second reading I realized that this thread is spin fishing related, I need to read the headings closer.
I've used little plugs and spoons with the fly rod, but that would be taking the thread astray.

Post 10 Jan 2021, 10:58 • #7 
Piscator
All came from Japan, and I'll cover them all here:
two of the lure styles, Duo Tetra Works (35 mm) and Duo Spearhead (the 50 gold foil) came in an order from Plat - the rest came from JapanTackle.
Also looked up the smallest plug is 35 mm, rather than 43...

On both websites, they're under Trout lures.
The 45 mm pink plug is Smith D-Contact; the 50 mm chartreuse is Smith D-Coax

Now the spoons:
The black abalone-filmed spoon is K-Flat Azusa 3g - the package called it Ocean Spoon, and it had a stainless hook wire too fine for me to use.
The pink/silver spoon is Smith D-Line 30 mm, 3g - came with stainless split ring, but bronzed single hook.
The glow spoon is Rodio Craft Noa Boss 3.5g, and was on closeout with 50% off - this one had a bronzed split ring and single hook.

I make a habit any time I place a Japan order to check closeout pages - like in this case, might find exactly what I was looking for.

The Vanfook Twin Dancer stinger hooks also came from Japan Tackle, I simply picked from their recommended spoon weight chart.

Japan Tackle is a little more convenient putting an order together, because you can store a wishlist. Plat is a little trickier, because their online catalog and their inventory are not the same thing - shopping Plat, it's best to go through their catalog top-layer News page and note that the newer listings, always up front, are likely to have stock. Plat website is pretty, but Japan internet pages load slowly this far away.

The Owner single hooks came from US, part of an order for trebles I needed for swapping bronzed hooks on other freshwater plugs I use in salt, Mirrodine, YoZuri wakebait, Megabass Dog-X. Noteworthy, Owner is Cultiva in Japan, and Owner US sells Cultiva lures, but not in Japan sizes.
They do the same thing to us on rod tapers and reel gearing - we're Americans, we're supposed to like MH bass rods and high speed retrieve.

Anyone shipping from Japan is only using express couriers, so consider you're going to have a $20-26 shipping charge when you put an order together.
(Unless you can put together a $100 order at difficult-to-navigate Asian Portal, who ships Fed-Ex gratis).
Japan express delivery is 3-4 days, and Fed-Ex can be as short as 40 hours, because they're now flying nonstop from Shenin-Shi to Memphis. Most use DHL or Fed-Ex, and UPS is the most tedious, because they shut down in non-union hours. (Even USPS moves on weekends, just not very well)

New Topic Add Reply