It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:36

New Topic Add Reply
Shimano Sienna 2000 line
Post 27 Nov 2020, 16:39 • #1 
I picked up a BPS 7’-6” Micro-Lite UL and a Shimano Sienna 2000 reel. I just need to get line that I can deal with on it. I first tried 6# Seaguar Red Label and it is so fine and limp that my old shaky hands can’t deal with it. I have now loaded the reel with 12# Ande Tournament! It is much stiffer and more manageable for me. Yesterday, I took it the local flood control pond for some casting and was having trouble with wind knots and tangles. Is there something in between?

[I split this topic into a separate thread so it will be more readily seen. Tom]

Re: Okuma reels?
Post 27 Nov 2020, 17:58 • #2 
Master Guide
REHavis45,

I think I am going to refer you to Bulldog ref that question. I think he is more qualified to answer your question. He also lives in Texas. I'm sure he'll be along soon to help you out.

Post 28 Nov 2020, 07:30 • #3 
Piscator
Ralph,
I think you should have stuck with the 6-lb, but wind knots are caused by multiple wraps coming off the spool together.
At most, I would go with 8-lb on that reel (105 yds)
Tightness of the line lay is everything. That stiff line will have a hard time laying on a small diameter spool (42 mm) - this tackle is exactly where you want fine and limp.

Getting a tight wrap when you load the spool is important.
Using manual bail when you're fishing instead of auto bail is the other major step to eliminate wind knots - begin at this post, and read the rest of the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=70693#p386422

Third thing is make sure you never turn the crank against paying drag - that instantly and only twists the line.
Loading mono on a spinning reel, never spool your source spool on an axle - more instant twist. Always lay the source spool flat with the label facing up (don't have to do this with braid, braid loads great from an axle) and do my phone book on top of the bucket thing to keep your new line under tension (and make sure your drag is tight enough to load the spool and not pay and twist line).

If you look at how loaded-to-the-rim my Vanquish 2000 is with 6-lb braid on that linked thread (same diameter and capacity spool), yet I've never had a wind knot with it - fishing with good manual bail habits. It casts light weights out of sight - this combo will throw 1/16th oz about as far as my baitcaster will throw 1/4 oz.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 29 Nov 2020, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 18:01 • #4 
Ron
Thanks for the reply, I will try it with the Seaguar in a heavier weight. I am really having trouble tying knots in light tippet. It can take me long time to get rigged up to fish. I need to fish with a guide who will tie my fly on for me.
Ralph

Last edited by REHavis45 on 21 Dec 2020, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 18:49 • #5 
Piscator
There are some pretty good options to the old style swivels made today, and in fairly small sizes, so you only have to tie one knot.
One is the "paper clip" (power clip), which I use frequently in the salt for quick lure change.

When the topic came up on corpusfishing, the examples on the right were offered.
There are many tiny snap and clip designs, offered in ranges of sizes, and tackle stores will be loaded with these things - try a few types, and see what works for you.
When we fished Estes in September, Lou was really impressed with the paper clips, and picked up a package when we made a run to Roy's Bait and Tackle.
With the paper clips, have to be able to use your thumbnail to spread them a bit to get your lure back.

and of course I mentioned on the other thread, I love my titanium bite traces with micro hardware for toothy salt fish and really fine line.

Lou also became an instant fan of these for UL last year, and still talks about how he refused to consider swivels and leaders until he fished these.
Probably also helps that last Oct at Estes, a big sow trout bit his line, that wouldn't have bit these.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 29 Nov 2020, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 19:05 • #6 
Administrator
REHavis45 wrote:
...I just need to get line that I can deal with on it. I first tried 6# Seaguar Red Label and it is so fine and limp that my old shaky hands can’t deal with it...

Ralph, Is the problem the line is so limp? or more that the #6 Seaguar is so fine that it is hard to see? You could try a high visibility line like classic yellow Stren. Or, I always wear a pair of reading glasses which help immensely with knot tying. For me it isn't my hands - it's my eyes that are the problem.

Tom

Post 29 Nov 2020, 19:51 • #7 
Piscator
On our Arroyo trip, I set up my Ott lamp and magnifier on the enclosed porch where we staged and rigged tackle.
Made it easy to tie fluoro leaders to 6-lb and 10-lb braid - improved Allbright knot - complex.
Especially running on as little sleep as we were.
We could also loop-on our bite traces under the magnifier, and then only had to open and close our snaps under the single-bulb dock light (which we mostly kept off for stealth).

Old eyes always have to make allowances to get the fine stuff rigged in light before we get here

Post 29 Nov 2020, 21:39 • #8 
Ron,
I am not opposed to snaps and swivels, I have them on the 20# and 30# rigs that rigged for my wife before our Belize trip in 2016. Many years ago I had snaps, similar to what Marlin sells on there leaders and they opened up on me. I like CoastLock snaps as the Goldstandard. You could possibly change my mind on this.
Ralph

Last edited by REHavis45 on 30 Nov 2020, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Nov 2020, 07:47 • #9 
Piscator
they make them too small for me to operate, even - they have sizes for the heaviest or lightest tackle. .
But you can probably find a style and size that works for you - like I said, there are so many options.
Look at these for examples:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=lure+clips ... nb_sb_noss
Speed clips, duo-lock snaps, fast clips...
But I recommend you buy them in person, because it's hard to buy the right size on line.

You can also make their connection 40% stronger by looping them on with a surgeon's or perfection loop rather than tying a closing knot. A closing knot wears the line continuously in the same spot, while loops make a line contact.
This is a major macro blow-up - the length of the loop from the left is 1 inch - right of that micro swivel is 12-lb titanium wire. .
You can loop on any snap, clip or swivel this way.

At Arroyo 3 weeks ago, I caught a redfish + ladyfish double with this - on 6-lb braid, 10-lb fluoro shock tippet, 12-lb titanium wire.
The ends of my tandem rig had 7-lb titanium wire, and 2" swim shad lures.

I make my loops 1" long so I can open them to slide a popping cork through:
it's actually a 3" weightless cigar cork for a 4'-leader free-shrimp rig - Mansfield Mauler type
Imageagain, this is all salt UL and XUL on long rods

The size paper clip I showed first in the redfish thumbnail is salt-MM-baitcaster, 12-lb fluoro on the reel, 20-lb shock tippet for abrasion allowance looped to the paper clip, and a 4" cocahoe (shad body) on 1/4-oz jighead.

third, a 24" slot red caught on the same terminal rig with a different 1/4-oz lure (TSL grasswalker), on the right, a 24" trout caught on the same rig and lure as the rat red
The two big fish are this fall - the rat from the spring, I took his photo because of his tail

Post 30 Nov 2020, 17:31 • #10 
Ron,
The snap I had open under load, was like the one below to leader package in photo frame 3/11. I was fishing offshore and never saw what hit it. I generally use Uni, Double-Uni or various Surgeon knots. I suppose, I need to spent more time preparing before I leave the house. I was trying to tie the 6# Seaguar Fluoro running line to some 12# Fluoro leader with a Double-Uni when I gave up and pulled the 6# Seaguar off. I have worn prescription glasses for several years, but I am developing age related vision problems. Thanks for the input Ron and Tom

Post 30 Nov 2020, 18:50 • #11 
Piscator
Ralph, you're welcome - I don't think you should give up. There are better head-set magnifiers you can use, and I mentioned my Ott light and magnifier, which I use almost every day for something or another.
Bull reds in the surf in the '90s, I had so many 60-lb swivels come back with the snap wire just a straight wire - and that was closing the crimp on them with pliers.
There are exactly 3 choices for that result - lose that swivel, break off, or get spooled.
I've done all 3

Post 30 Nov 2020, 21:10 • #12 
We were trolling in the Gulf Stream off Stuart Florida and the snap came back Straight. I have never had that happen with a Coastlock Snap? We were using #30 tackle with drag scale set at 7.5 #. We were rigged 30# Micron, with a Bimini twist and a 10' double line and a 10' piano wire leader and bead-chain rigged Ballyhoo. This was aboard our 23' boat with my wife at Helm and me rigging the baits, probably in 1978 / 1979.

Post 01 Dec 2020, 13:55 • #13 
Piscator
the bull reds that do exactly that in the surf at night, it absolutely hurts when they take your bait.
A shock wave goes all the way down your spine, and all the way back up.
Manly sport - current, waves, wind, sand eroding under your feet, the moon and stars are moving - your only reference point is your Coleman lantern on a board on the beach.

btw Ralph,
Here's a paper clip looped in a perfection loop (and a redfish caught on the same rig - different shad tail)

New Topic Add Reply