It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:31

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Nov 2020, 17:40 • #1 
Administrator
I recently acquired a small Daiwa MR 750 spinning reel. This reel is similar to the QR/QZ 750s sold in the US, but without the heavy collapsible handle. At 5.9 oz the MR 750 isn't the lightest, or the heaviest, reel in the UL size class. These reels were new to the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) in 2019. The usual sellers that ship to the US didn't have any stock left this summer (such as, plat.co.jp). Even Yahoo Japan did not have any for sale. Finally, a Japanese eBay seller offered a couple and was willing to ship to the US.

Success! However, JDM reels come with JDM documents. While the pictographs are nice, there are further details in the text (that I can't read). There are no English versions of the documents online.

For those who have not seen this before, cell phones are the answer. Load up the Google Translate app. Start the app, pick the camera icon, and point the phone at the document. The app will produce a real time 'translation' of the text (see the image on the left). The translation won't be perfect (see the image on the right). Quite likely the translation will change as the phone moves. Still even the most puzzling text gives a better meaning than no translation at all. Using the scan option may give a more coherent translation. Aiming the phone at smaller sections of text gives better results also.

Tom

Post 25 Nov 2020, 09:00 • #2 
Piscator
Thanks for the tip.
Beauty reel. You need a Daiwa Emeraldas double handle on it now.
Gomexus sells a 72 mm (36 mm pitch) for $30 on ebay.

That's the one I swapped out with a Livre base for my Stradic C1000S - fit like it was made for the Livre base.

In fact, I have the Gomexus base if you want to tinker with it (see if it fits your hex shaft).

Post 25 Nov 2020, 20:46 • #3 
Master Guide
Good looking reel and great information regarding the translation app. Thanks

Post 10 Dec 2020, 11:25 • #4 
Master Guide
Yes, that is good info.
Many thanks.

New Topic Add Reply