It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:17

New Topic Add Reply
Another Green Reel
Post 21 Nov 2020, 09:27 • #1 
Guide
No, not a Penn but a Heddon 282. Surely not as famous as the Penns but from a famous manufacturer. This was the Daisy (yes the BB gun) era, thus the Daisy Heddon markings. This reel cleaned up nicely and with two bearings is a smooth operator!

Before

The drag was inoperable. The metal and fiber washers were stuck together. A razor blade and some luck got them apart unscathed.

The rest was removing old coagulated grease (virtually glue at this point).

After

Some cleaning and polishing does wonders!

Hope to catch some fish with it soon.

Re: Another Green Reel
Post 21 Nov 2020, 10:48 • #2 
Piscator
that's an upgrade from the Heddon 215 hammer-bail that was in my first-pick rod combo at 12-y-o.
Thanks for posting.

No offense, noticed brinnelling on the main gear. Looks like it began with pinion gear wear.

Post 21 Nov 2020, 23:15 • #3 
Guide
Yea, I noticed that too. Not like I'm going to order a replacement. :P

Post 22 Nov 2020, 06:00 • #4 
Piscator
it's a good-looking reel that's been fished hard. I did something similar to my Mitchell 300 in 4 years catching fall Spanish macks from the jetties.
My Penn 4400SS,did the same thing on kings.
It's wasn't until the new millennium that any of the makers really understood the contact loads on those gears produced by the long spindle from even the 3- or 4-lb drag they could achieve.

Post 22 Nov 2020, 09:23 • #5 
Guide
The anti-reverse on this reel appears to be better than some other reels of the era. There is very little (almost none) back wind. The anti-reverse ratchet is on the pinion shaft. I've seen this arrangement on other reels but the more common arrangement is one the main gear. I wonder if there are any advantages to this approach.

Brand new 282 at Mike's. I'm tempted just to compare.

https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/heddon-282-brand-new/

Post 22 Nov 2020, 09:39 • #6 
Piscator
That's very tempting - it needs taking down, anyway, to clean out the old grease.

Post 23 Nov 2020, 13:33 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
FishFishWish wrote:
The anti-reverse on this reel appears to be better than some other reels of the era. There is very little (almost none) back wind. The anti-reverse ratchet is on the pinion shaft. I've seen this arrangement on other reels but the more common arrangement is one the main gear. I wonder if there are any advantages to this approach.

advantage is, drag load doesn't get transferred to the main gear/pinion interface.. so this is technically superior. However the advantage is nullified when people just crank on the gears to retrieve against resistance, instead of pumping the rod. So it's not as much better in practice..

Those Daisy-era Heddons always make me feel young again ;-)
never owned one, but several friends fished them.. handsome old reel

Post 24 Nov 2020, 13:40 • #8 
Administrator
A couple of months ago I saw an eBay auction for a spinning rod formerly outfitted with a Heddon reel. The reel foot left its mark in the cork. A piece of moleskin between the reelseat and the reel might be a good idea.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply