It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:18

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Nov 2020, 06:26 • #1 
Guide
Acquired this reel a while back because thought it was interesting. Am I right in assuming this is a teardrop reel ( as side plates are this shape) I took it out last season and trolled with it after I couldn’t figure out a spool release button? Is there one or is it cast by loosening the spool tension adjuster? Any general info would be good!

Post 18 Nov 2020, 10:50 • #2 
Piscator
the style of the reel copies Shakespeare postwar, and the LW mechanism, especially, is Marhoff (patent bought by Shakespeare - 1908).
That's what they did. They had a clicker and spindle end tension.

Until Abu's clean sheet of paper (the button you're looking for), freespool was rare. Competing with Marhoff was Pflueger's Douglas patent 1st Supreme, free spool and anti-reverse, but the mechanism was so complicated, Pflueger dropped it when they could legally copy Marhoff's expired patent (1928).
Still, it's a joy, and out-cast every LW reel until Lew's, Ryobi and Shimano brought the basic idea back (free spool free of LW mechanism)

The other style freespool, type is Shakespeare Tournament 1740, simply had a friction swage of the handle onto the main gear, which you released by pulling outward on the handle.

What you're looking at is the basic style of all baitcasters from the 30s to 50s - a copy of the Marhoff LW mechanism.
You'll find many people who like their Shakespeare Marhoff, and Pflueger Skilkast, etc.
But the one Marhoff copy that really stands out for cast distance is the Meek 30.
Like all Meeks, this reel is made to never use grease, but oil daily (note the oil port for the main gear).

Until Lew's, the reel that really cast distance was the NLW, the best made by Shakespeare, Meek, and Talbot

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 18 Nov 2020, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Nov 2020, 13:54 • #3 
Guide
Brilliant thanks Bulldog, I appreciate your time, pics and information! Re looking for the spool release that never was, I had been pressing on the centre of the handle, thinking it was perhaps seized up :lol I’m guessing then that casting distance was limited even for those familiar with this early style?
Re Abu I have an Ambassadeur 1750A that looks like it evolved from the earlier style. I love that wee reel although the gear ratio makes it slow to spin with!

I have an Abu Garcia Promax that is obviously another big progression!

Post 18 Nov 2020, 22:07 • #4 
Piscator
If you look at the Abu 2500C thread or the Abu CT thread (They're Blue), there's some discussion about the different things that cause inertia in reels.
As the system inertia increases, you need to be casting greater weights to have reliable, repeatable casts.

As for distance, no one in casting tournaments uses level wind reels.
For bass fishing, long casts are rarely required, but slow, accurate casts, and lures tend to be large and heavy. The old Marhoffs are pretty good at casting 3/8-oz.
In comparison, the little Shakespeare 1740 NLW will fish 1/8 ounce.

In the surf, while you may be using even more weight, cast distance is most everything, and you'll see tournament casters and surf casters migrating to the same reels.
This is an Abu CT modified with Akios barstock frame and Avail microcast braid spool

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 19 Nov 2020, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 Nov 2020, 00:44 • #5 
Administrator
Argyll trout fisher wrote:
Acquired this reel a while back because thought it was interesting. Am I right in assuming this is a teardrop reel ( as side plates are this shape) I took it out last season and trolled with it after I couldn’t figure out a spool release button? Is there one or is it cast by loosening the spool tension adjuster? Any general info would be good!

That's an interesting design. The crank drives the level wind directly with a gear on the level wind axis that drives the spool. Simplicity in action. The plastic parts appear to be in excellent shape.

My first bait casting reel was a Pflueger Trump that had no spool release, no star drag, and no casting brake. The reel was euphemistically called a direct drive. The handle whirls during the cast. In reality the level wind probably acts as an efficient casting brake. When Lew Childre disconnected the level wind for casting other companies copied his design.

ATF, try your reel with a rod that can handle 10-20 g (~1/2 oz) lures. A heavy enough lure will overcome the inertia so your reel can be cast. Make sure your thumb is ready for action.

Tom

Post 19 Nov 2020, 06:29 • #6 
Guide
Great information thanks for the helpful replies. Yes the handle goes round when casting on the Japanese reel. Will try again with a heavier lure. I like the design and look of it . Would it be 50’s ?

Post 19 Nov 2020, 09:34 • #7 
Administrator
Unless you find your reel in an old tackle catalog you won't know when it was sold. Offshore and unmarked reels are never state of the art, meaning the style and design lag behind the market leaders.

My Pflueger was purchased new around 1970. That's the original box in the photo with a $10.99 price tag! Your reel would have sold into that same market, so perhaps it dates to the 60s or 70s.

Tom

Post 19 Nov 2020, 10:54 • #8 
Piscator
I'm going to take Tom to task on that one. They didn't pull any subtleties or magic veils over styling that reel after postwar Shakespeare Direct Drive
My money says your reel is from the 50s, though I will temper that a similar Marhoff reel came in a fishing kit my dad bought from Sears about 1962.
1951 Wards catalog
Also note, every reel on this page, you can lump together as Marhoff

Post 19 Nov 2020, 12:01 • #9 
Guide
Fascinating Tom & Bulldog , thank you. Baitcasters were not really very common here in the 70’s or 80’s. I first recall seeing one in NY state where I was playing in a football ( soccer) tournament. I caught a sunfish in a pond using one I borrowed from an American soccer player! The first ones I saw in Scotland were Abu trigger grip versions of their standard rods for use with an Ambassadeur. Of course I never owned one but really wanted one! Most of my tackle came from Woolworths department store and it was ok! At 52 years of age I’m still realising my ambitions to own some of this stuff :lol . Abu was the best as far as we were concerned although I always had a soft spot for Daiwa ( still have) . Anyway baitcasters were not mass produced or available here in my formative years , maybe hence my interest now!

Post 19 Nov 2020, 12:12 • #10 
Piscator
quite honestly, they're just more fun to cast than any other tackle - a new skill set to put under your belt.
They also have an instant retrieve advantage over any other tackle.
Image Image
3rd model Pflueger Supreme and American Fork & Hoe (True Temper) square-section steel bait rod

New Topic Add Reply