It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:37

New Topic Add Reply
Who made this?
Post 22 Oct 2020, 16:06 • #1 
Master Guide
Is this spinning rod a Fenwick? Rod is 5' 6", up locking reel seat, it has no label or other identifying marks, and as seen in the photos, a translucent brown blank. Bruce

Re: Who made this?
Post 22 Oct 2020, 17:36 • #2 
Piscator
the rod finish and blank sure looks Fenwick to me.
St. Croix produced similar blanks, but not those ferrules
Fenwick often used ink markings, which can wear away easily.

Post 22 Oct 2020, 17:46 • #3 
Administrator
No. Fenwick never made a glass rod with a spigot. The tip over butt ferrule was their invention. At one point that 'butt wrap' material could be purchased from Gudebrod. Much about the rod looks like a very good amateur build, in particular the longish thread wraps at the guides and ferrule. The tip top and smallest guides are larger than a typical factory rod.

There were some Cortland, St. Croix, and South Bend rods with similar translucent glass blanks. To me the ferrule construction, color, and glass weave look like a Lamiglas S-glass blank. There was only one 5'6" S-glass spinning blank listed in the 1978 Lami catalog, the SUL681F. The catalog lists that model with a 0.57" butt diameter, a 5-1/2 size tip, and a weight of 1-5/16 oz. The blank was rated for 1/8-3/8 oz lures with a fast action.

If the rod blank is visible through the end of the grip, what is the outer diameter?

Tom

Post 22 Oct 2020, 18:45 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks guys. Love this forum, lots of knowledge here.

The rod blank isnt visible on the butt end. There is a cork plug that is visible though.

So I measured the diameter of the plug and it came out over 0.56" almost 0.57". So maybe a Lami...? Who ever built this rod, did a very good job. Thanks again, Bruce

Post 22 Oct 2020, 19:05 • #5 
Piscator
Lami S-glass should be a great rod - give us a report on it when you cast...

Post 22 Oct 2020, 20:29 • #6 
Master Guide
Looks just like the Berkley Parametrics I have including the rope wrap.

Post 22 Oct 2020, 20:47 • #7 
Piscator
that was my first thought, but my MH Tri-Sport had metal spigot ferrule

Post 23 Oct 2020, 01:07 • #8 
Administrator
WestTex wrote:
Looks just like the Berkley Parametrics I have including the rope wrap.

I have very limited experience with Berkley rods, but the ones I've handled had painted blanks and a combo sleeve/spigot ferrule or metal ferrules. I don't remember the butt wraps at all.

Um, your rod photo looks like an early Fenwick. When I blow up the photo it appears to say FERALITE on the label. Did you mean to attach a different photo? The late-60s Fenwick rods also had beautiful translucent glass blanks. The blank color was described as a 1/2" of Hines root beer by Don Green (Fenwick, V. Johnson, p. 164). The Lamiglas S-glass is more of an amber color.

Tom

Post 23 Oct 2020, 08:41 • #9 
Master Guide
Now that I have completely confused myself, yes that Pic was of a Fenwick that I lost on a brookie stream years ago . I forgot I had it. Hell to get old I guess.

I pulled out my Parametric and the thread, seat hardware and spigot are all similar but as Tom says the blank is only semi translucent at best. No rope wrap and the female ferule is alittle different on mine. Guess the rod in question is not a Parametric.

Post 23 Oct 2020, 22:43 • #10 
Master Guide
Sure looks like a Lamiglas S-glass home build to me.

Post 24 Oct 2020, 21:57 • #11 
Guide
I have an old Cortland glass spin blank , very similar in color with more of a deep red translucent tone , however the blank I have is tip over , this rod looks like a custom build , and as previously mentioned , you could obtain the Fenwick braid back in the day , still have some of that too , either way it should be fun to fish !!!

New Topic Add Reply