It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:30

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Oct 2020, 10:35 • #1 
Sport
I’m looking to build a baitcast rod for throwing 1.5 - 3.5 gram micro spoons and soft baits. The twist is I’d like to keep the total length to around 3 1/2 ft. Why so short? First of all, I’m a short guy so when I’m doing my typical crazy spring creek trout stalking (crouching, kneeling, squatting etc.) I don’t have the clearance for underhand casts and oftentimes sidearm or overhead isn’t an option, even my 4-5 ft rods can be longer than ideal.

I’m thinking there must be a fiberglass spinning rod tip out there that might work or maybe the top 2 sections of a 4 piece fly rod. I know I could buy a modern short carbon JDM spinning rod and convert it but I’m trying to be a bit more budget conscious and I like the idea of a one-off vintage glass rod. Any ideas?

Post 17 Oct 2020, 11:06 • #2 
Piscator
You might get some ideas here
https://www.finesse-fishing.com/trout-b ... -rods.html
You could also hunt down these rods in Japan, though stocks everywhere are currently low.

You could also look for Fisher GT40 4-pc fly rod blanks in 3/4 wt.
Maybe 3-pc glass blanks in the same fly line rating.

Post 17 Oct 2020, 11:15 • #3 
Sport
Thanks for the suggestions and link. Chris’s site does have a wealth of info and he is a great guy to deal with. So it seems the 3/4 fly wt range is the place to be for spinning/bait casting builds. I may have to look more into that. I’m a sucker for Fisher blanks!

Post 17 Oct 2020, 13:19 • #4 
Administrator
Are you looking to buy a factory rod? or do you want to build your own?

If the later, buy some one-piece Batson E-glass blanks. Tape guides and a reelseat on the rod and test cast. Move the pieces around and test cast some more. Eventually you will have something to cut to length and build a rod. At $15-20 per blank you can afford to buy a couple different weights and lengths. The time you put into your project will be the most significant cost.

Tom

Post 17 Oct 2020, 14:28 • #5 
Sport
Those Batson blanks look interesting. The price is certainly right!

New Topic Add Reply