It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:06

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Oct 2020, 19:09 • #1 
Master Guide
Me and my two boys have been hitting a few streams. Me and my son really like the feel of the Berkley Wrangler - 6’6” with tip over butt and spigot ferrule. I’ve been using a 60’s model (perhaps early 70’s) 7’ Buccaneer fly/spin and and other son has a 7’ Taiwan made fly/spin Buccaneer.

Just a few photos.

Broke the butt off mine but repaired it and reinforced it with a fiberglass stent.

I just had to purchase my Buccaneer. I’ve got an early Buc 7’ fly rod with the cursive on it. Just had to give the fly/spin combo a try. Similar in feel as a spin but lousy as a fly.

The Wrangler is a spunky one. Fish feel good in hand and can hold it’s own. Medium action. The latter Buc is faster than my US made spin.

Great to have glass feel while changing it up and taking a break from the fly rod.

Last edited by Panfish74 on 12 Oct 2020, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Oct 2020, 21:25 • #2 
Guide
Very nice. Great catches and great pix!

Post 11 Oct 2020, 21:35 • #3 
Piscator
I grew up with a 7' Berkley TriSport inshore spinning rod. Heavy with metal spigot ferrule, but would cast forever.
Also doubled up as my bass rod.
Great gaspergou photo. Caught an 8-lb'er fishing from a dock with fly rod on Lake *********.

Post 25 Oct 2020, 17:31 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Berkley has not made a bad rod,maybe a few with lower end components but all are very functional and a few are great.My first graphite spinning rods were Berkley and still fish newr versions today.I have a buccaneer pistol grip casting rod with the white ceramic guide inserts and a couple glass spinning rods .

Post 30 Oct 2020, 11:31 • #5 
Guide
Nice old rods there! Anything with Bucaneer in the name has to be good. :-)

Post 31 Oct 2020, 07:58 • #6 
Piscator
I'm reading the book on Aransas Co. history.
In neighboring Refugio Co (Goliad), descendants of Freebooters (Pirates) parade their family history.
But in Aransas county (Rockport) on the water's edge, they hide their freebooter ancestry and won't talk about it.
Jean Lafitte didn't like his too high society status in New Orleans after becoming a hero at the Battle, and moved to San Jose Is - even though the US, British and Mexican navies were after him, they couldn't catch him, because he could navigate Cedar Bayou. We've had tough times navigating Cedar Bayou in a 17' McKee - the tide pass at the surf is worth the effort, though.

Post 07 Nov 2020, 19:53 • #7 
Is that the Cedar Bayou that runs up the East side of Baytown, Tx? Would like more historical references if possible?

Post 09 Nov 2020, 06:52 • #8 
Piscator
my (and Lafitte's) Cedar Bayou is the pass between San Jose and Matagorda islands - 3-mile-long pass into Mesquite and San Antonio bays that can take 2 hours to get through - and longer if you find a sand bar. Fishiest place on the TX coast with a moving tide, and no easy way to get there - first you have to get into Mesquite Bay, which isn't easy.

Sharks have been caught in Vinsion Slough, and we've seen tailing sharks on Cedar Bayou Flat on the bay side - digging for crabs.
Mackerel and jacks come into the beach, sometimes up the bayou into wading water, and fall bull redfish in the surf is over the top.
It's a great place to camp, but bring your sand stakes for the wind, and brush for sand in the tent.
One chilly December day, I caught 40 fly rod flounder on consecutive casts in the bayou just inside the surf, slowly creeping a Teeny line on the sand.

on the map, Blackjack Point is where Lafitte built a house for the widow of one of his lost captains and kept her up - the written history implies there's more to this story.
For reference, the west shore of St. Charles Bay not on the map is the eastern edge of Goose Island SP - by boat, it's 15 mi from GISP to the Cedar Bayou surf.
Brave skiff captains will take Carlos Bay, but there are reefs, and the safest way is take the ICW to Sundown Bay and turn right at a staked pass.

ps - we're going to Arroyo City in far south Texas in a few days for the night-lite dock fishing and a little day kayaking.
Here's the weather - we arrive Thurs and return Tues - the new moon is Saturday.

New Topic Add Reply