It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:47

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Okuma reels?
Post 03 Oct 2020, 22:23 • #1 
Master Guide
Anybody using Okuma reels, specifically the Helios in an ultralight configuration?

Kicking around that or a Pflueger President for 2-4 lb line.

Re: Okuma reels?
Post 04 Oct 2020, 01:44 • #2 
Administrator
The HSX-20? It's not the same 20X size as a Pflueger. It will take ~250-300 yards of 2 lb test to fill the spool.

The Pflueger President 20X is a smaller reel, with ~150-200 yard capacity for 2 lb test.

Tom

Post 04 Oct 2020, 08:18 • #3 
Piscator
In the rest of the world, the HSX30 is the smallest size - the 20 is a 3000 size reel with shallower spool, and Tom nailed capacity for both reels.
Curious why you picked two reels with $100 price difference.
If I was in that market (I'm so reeled up now, not in any market)
it would be hard to get past Daiwa Fuego LT1000D for big main gear, perfect line management, good handle design.

Daiwa also makes their D-spin Ultralight series, which is smaller and competes for price with the Pflueger.

The true diminutive size reel made is the 6-BB Tica Cetus SE500 (or SS800) - I fished one in salt XUL for 10 years before retiring it this year for higher-grade Shimano. Tica America sells direct through Amazon
Tom, what's your take on your little Tica?

From what I've read, where Okuma really shines is their high-grade reels with stainless gearing.

Post 04 Oct 2020, 11:18 • #4 
Master Guide
Bulldog,

I don't know much about Okuma reels. I've never messed with them. I saw the Helios and another one listed on some sites as some of the best ultralight reels, so I thought I would inquire, maybe get some input from people with some experience with them.

Post 04 Oct 2020, 11:44 • #5 
Guide
That's quite a claim given what Diawa and Shimano are making for this segment.

Post 04 Oct 2020, 19:23 • #6 
Master Guide
Well, it is the internet, ya know?! Just because it's on the 'net doesn't make it true. That's why I'm inquiring of y'all, to get some input from peeps I know and trust.

Post 04 Oct 2020, 23:17 • #7 
Administrator
Yes, you came to the right place!

Take the online "Best" lists with a big grain of salt. I just read a Shimano Sedona 1000FL review (yes, Shimano makes really good reels). The author gave the reel kudos for holding 270 yards of 2 lb test line and a 7 lb maximum drag. If you have 200+ yards of 2 lb line between you and a large fish, good luck! A stout drag won't help! The author was just comparing specs and never touched the reels.

What line do you want to use? That determines spool capacity, drag type, and whether you want a delicate reel or a more robust model. If you like polyethylene braid, look for a ball bearing line roller. If you want 2-4 lb test, look for a drag based on a felt washer. Drags based on multiple Carbotex washers are better for heavier lines. If you are hard on your tackle, or fish salt water, go with a stouter reel.

To me new ultralight reels should be lighter, better specified, and better balanced than the classics of yesteryear. My modern comparison reel is a Shimano Sienna 500FD. It shows spinning reels have come a long way since the 70s/80s. Shimano stuffed a lot of goodies into a $20 package.

Ron asked about my Tica Cetus SS800. It's another inexpensive reel in an even lighter package (5.3 oz). The aluminum bail closes with a clonk almost as loud as my Mitchell 304. The bail trip should have been smoother from the box - it took some time to adjust. At this price point the felt washer drag and ball bearing line roller are the stand out features.

The Daiwa D-Spin anti-reverse works against cogs formed into the rotor. Roller bearing anti-reverse designs are more comfortable. When manufacturers describe the bearing count as X+1 the +1 indicates a roller bearing clutch.

Tom

Post 05 Oct 2020, 01:09 • #8 
Master Guide
I trust you guys. This forum is what I consider home. That's why I come here for enlightenment and guidance. And because you are good dudes.

The intent is to use 2-4 lb line to catch panfish. It'll go on a 6' St Croix Panfish rod. I don't have a problem spending money on a good reel, but philosophically I'm not sure panfish require a $200 reel, either. Or maybe they do now, I dunno. I've got both mono and PLine that can go on it.

Bulldog mentioned the Fuego. I have seen a report or two ref it having flex in the stem coming down from the reel seat. As I recall I saw it mentioned on Tackle Advisors (he seemed to be a proponent of the Tatula) and in a post somewhere. (Here: https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... lt-flexes/) Not that a freakin' bluegill is gonna twist the reel off the dang rod or something.

I watched a video of a guy using a President and the line was coming off in coils. I don't necessarily want to buy into that problem, either. I've heard that larger spools tend to help prevent that.

I would prefer to have an on/off anti-reverse switch on it, but I suppose they have gone out of favor now.

I would prefer to buy and do it right the first time. If that costs more, within reason, then so be it.

Life was sooo much easier back in the day. Fifty years ago I woulda just gone and bought a Mitchell 308 or some such and called it good. Back when I was a teenager one Sunday I actually **ran** through a Kress store in order to buy a Mitchell 300 that was on sale. Back then, a Mitchell 300 was sorta the standard, and it was my first 'quality' spinning reel. Before that, I was using a little cheap Zebco open face spinning reel, although I managed to catch a 3 and 5 lb red on it one day.

Bulldog, what Shimano did you upgrade to from the Tica?

Would any of the Nasci-Sahara-Sedona triad be worth considering?

Post 05 Oct 2020, 12:20 • #9 
Administrator
With 2-4 lb test line you won't be twisting any reel frames. Most reels still have anti-reverse on/off switches, but not all.

If a line coils on one brand of reel, it will coil on all of them. Last February I spent an hour in a large sporting goods store handling the UL spinning reels. In general, the spools were about the same diameter. The littlest Pfluegers might have had a bit smaller diameter spools. The differences were minimal. Changing the line often would be a bigger factor to prevent coiling.

There are too many choices, even within a single company. It was easier when there weren't as many models, brands, and variations - we would buy a Mitchell and go fishing. The good news is just about anything you buy will work fine.

Tom

[Edited to add the photo and reel info. I weighed the reels and measured the spool front lip diameter. Tom]

Front view of six ultralight spinning reels showing the spool diameters. From left to right (weight, then spool diameter), Lew's Laser Lite Speedspin LLS50 (4.96 oz, 1.36" dia), Cargem Mignon 33 (6.58 oz, 1.54" dia), Daiwa QR750 (6.17 oz, 1.50" dia), Langley 852B (6.70 oz, 1.59" dia), Shimano Sierra 500FD (6.19 oz, 1.44" dia), and Tica Cetus SS800 (5.31 oz, 1.50" dia). The Cargem and Langley are 50s/60s era reels. All six reels will hold line in about the same sized coil.

Post 05 Oct 2020, 21:22 • #10 
Guide
Del Gue, I am a huge fan of the Sahara 500FI, the "hagane" gear can't be beat. I bought two of them, I loved the first one so much. I've seen them on the bay for as cheap as $60. IMHO, the best hands down for under a hundred bucks.

Post 05 Oct 2020, 22:14 • #11 
Guide
I have two of those Shimano 500FDs. They are rather nice for the price. Here's what's inside:

I took this reel apart, cleaned and lubed. It is now smoother than another nearly new 500 FD I have. Supposedly the newest version of the Sienna, the FG is even better with improved line management features.

A step up are reels like the Diawa Regal and Legalis or the Shimano Sedona or Sahara. These can be had for 40-60 bucks. I have been using a Legalis since March and have no complaints. It's pulled in hundreds of bluegill and crappie. Also landed quite a few 3 and 4 pound bass. Never seemed strained or over worked.

Tackle Advisors has a pretty good run down on sub $100 reels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-xN_kfjBTo

Another good comparison of the UL/Light reels.

https://youtu.be/4zKDtzfFzX0

Post 06 Oct 2020, 17:18 • #12 
Piscator
I've fished so many reels into the ground, Mitchell 300 on Spanish mackerel, Penn 4400SS on king mackerel.
I'm really impressed with the way my little Tica Cetus held up to 23" seatrout, and literally dozens of 17-22" seatrout at Arroyo - and not what I bought it for - bought it for nursery seatrout pier-fishing with the girls - but it works so well. .
But this is the spot where the $200 reel belongs, to get the over-designed spindle and gears, long-spool stroke with great line management for long casts, etc.

Speaking of 23" seatrout, yesterday a 23" and 24-1/2", but on my baitcasters and 12-lb fluoro - look at the water where we caught redfish

Post 06 Oct 2020, 20:57 • #13 
Master Guide
Those are some mighty nice fish, sir!

I went by Dick's today and looked at a President, a Sedona 1000, and a Daiwa QR. I might have looked at a Sienna, too, I don't remember. The sales dude wandered up and started talking to me. I also looked around online for a Fuego.

I look at reviews on various reels online and there's always somebody, somewhere that didn't like each and every one for one reason or another. The other thing I think I'm noticing is that people line up behind Daiwa, Shimano, and Pflueger almost like people line up behind Ford or Chevy or Dodge.

I don't wanna get caught up in analysis paralysis. That Sedona seemed kind of nice, although it lacked an anti-reverse switch.

Post 06 Oct 2020, 22:31 • #14 
Piscator
Thanks - most new reels with roller bearing are full-time anti-reverse.
You get used to it - baitcasters began using roller bearing full-time anti-reverse 25 years ago.
You have to think before you wind in all the way, and if you need to let out working line on your spinning reel, it's easy enough to halfway open the bail to let a wrap out.

The next thing you'll see is auto bail closure disappear - all top-line salt reels are there. I use all my bails manually and it improves Everything about casting and fishing spinning reels.
Your hand is close to the bail to feather line in the cast, no loose line, and you're fishing a whole lot sooner - almost as quick as a baitcaster.
Manual bail use is imperative fishing braid to prevent loose-line wind knots and fine abrasive braid getting wound beneath your spool. .

Any Shimano model updated since 2018 is a variation on their '18 Stella - generally the same design with less-expensive materials and manufacturing. Different mixes of metals (aluminum, magnesium) v. composite in the frame, rotor and spool; drive parts wear-treated aluminum alloy in place of stainless and titanium. I know Tom's in the queue for a new Vanford 500 UL. I'd say Do Not Pass Go.
You may also find close-out deals on the mid-grade Shimano models updated 2015-17, and good sales (40+% off in Japan) on the Daiwa competing models getting shadowed by the new Shimanos. Though you're in a tough market now, because most of the good reels are selling out of stock.

Post 07 Oct 2020, 07:53 • #15 
Master Guide
I went to Dick's yesterday and looked at reels. I looked at the Sedona, the President, and the Daiwa QR750. I may have looked at a Sienna, too, but I don't remember...the sales dude came up and started talking to me.

People seem to line up behind Daiwa, Shimano, and Pflueger like people line up behind Ford, Chevy, and Dodge.

The Sedona seemed like a nice little reel.

And yes, the reel shortage seems to be trying to follow the ammunition shortage. I was at Bass Pro last Saturday and about 70% of their reel display was empty. I heard one guy actually ask them if they were going out of business. Bass Pro was a sad, sad place.

Post 07 Oct 2020, 08:06 • #16 
Piscator
From everything you've posted, the Tica Cetus is the reel you want, are looking for, and meeting your expectations.
Either the diminutive 500, or the still very UL 800 size.
You can get it on Amazon direct from Tica America, and Tom linked the 800 above.
I think you should pony up and buy it.

Post 10 Oct 2020, 09:58 • #17 
Master Guide
Well, it's time for an update.

A Tica Cetus SS500 was ordered and received.

I also ordered a Daiwa Presso 6' UL rod, and a BPS Micro Lite 7'6" UL rod.

I'll wait until Black Friday, and then I'm going to pick up a Shimano reel of one model or another. The Sienna and the Sedona are currently the leading contenders, depending on what the retailers want to put on sale.

At some point, some day, I'll also prolly have to try a President, as well, just to see what it is the owners all rave about.

Progress is being made...

Post 10 Oct 2020, 10:23 • #18 
Guide
Very nice. Looks like you're jumping in with both feet. Can't wait to hear the fishing reports and reviews.

BTW, I have a 6' 6" Diawa Presso rod. It's my favorite UL rod. I've heard that the six foot version is softer than the other lengths. Will be interested in hearing your reports.

Post 10 Oct 2020, 10:51 • #19 
Piscator
We need to hear your impressions on the new tackle, and of course, I'm more than curious what you think of the little Cetus.

Post 10 Oct 2020, 10:58 • #20 
Master Guide
Fish,
I was constrained by availability ref the presso. Only one I saw in stock was the 6 footer. I've read elsewhere that some of them are a tad whippy. If I was aware that specifically applied to the 6 footer I would have desisted.

Now I gotta find me some available and willing fish. I hope they're not practicing distancing, too...

Post 10 Oct 2020, 11:04 • #21 
Guide
I have to say, that Cetus is tempting me!

Post 10 Oct 2020, 11:33 • #22 
Master Guide
Be aware, there are several flavors:

The SE500 has: ■ 6 Precision ball bearings.
■ Mini bearing inside the line roller

The SS500 has: ■ 6 Rust resistant, shielded ball bearings + 1 roller bearing

The SB500 has: ■ 6 Rust resistant, shielded ball bearings

https://www.ticaamerica.com/fishing-tac ... tus-reels/

Post 10 Oct 2020, 11:55 • #23 
Piscator
I fished my SE500 10 years in salt XUL before retiring it for Shimano Stradic and bigger mean fish.

Post 10 Oct 2020, 12:24 • #24 
Administrator
Good grab. Like I mentioned earlier the Tica stand out features at this price are the ball bearing line roller and the drag. The Cetus SS reels with the instant anti-reverse roller bearing are worth tracking down. Del Gue's reel has an on/ off lever for the anti-reverse. [Note added: I looked at the Cetus schematics. All Cetus models have an anti-reverse roller bearing and ball bearing line roller. The Cetus SS and GV both come in the 800 size, which is an ounce lighter, but with a 50% larger spool. Tom]

Don't get too worked up with ball bearing counts. Often extra bearings in high bearing counts reels are tucked into the handle. The reel schematic reveals all. Rust resistant bearings are a new marketing feature. If the reel has been abused to the point the bearings will rust, the wire springs will be rusted out long before. Reels need at least some maintenance.

If you like Black Friday sales, Ande line ran specials the last couple of holidays. An 1/8 lb spool of #2 test tournament line will refill these little spools a dozen times. Or half fill the spool with #4-6 line and put 100 yards of #2 on top. Change that top shot early and often.

Tom

Post 10 Oct 2020, 12:46 • #25 
Master Guide
At some point, most likely next year, I want to try one of those JDM rods and reels, just for the heck of it.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply