It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:48

New Topic Add Reply
Shakespeare 2052
Post 16 Aug 2020, 21:22 • #1 
Sport
Doing some digging this weekend I learned a few things I thought someone here might appreciate. I don't recall seeing any of this before, so if anyone previously posted this, my apologies to them.

First is general info on Shakespeare date codes. Shakespeare put a two letter date code on their reels. If you have Annie's secret decoder ring, you can date your reel, kind of. Here's the ring.

0 - A L
    1 - K V
    2 - J U
    3 - H T
    4 - G S
    5 - F R
    6 - E Q
    7 - D P
    8 - C N
    9 - B M

So, code FG = 1954 EC = 1968 Now, this is just the year production of a model started or the year that model was redesigned or altered, the codes are not the year it was manufactured. So, if a reel model was started in 1950, never altered and discontinued 10 years later, all reels would be coded FA.

Second concerns 2052 emblems. Shakespeare put metal emblems on their spinning reels with the model number on them. Some also had additional code under the model number. There were two codes and they don't signify anything especially special about them. The codes were NL and -2. The meanings.

2062 - sold with spool filled
    2062NL - sold with no line on the spool
    2062-2 - sold with 2 spools filled
    2062NL-2 - sold with 2 spools, no line

Amazing, they stamped different emblems to be affixed to the reels instead of just marking the boxes, it was a special time I guess.

The last concerns the reel itself. I feel really stupid because I have one of these reels in this condition, it's been in a drawer for a couple of years now, but I never noticed. But in my defense, this isn't something I think about.
Aside from being wonderful little reels, they are quickly, painlessly, and tool-lessly converted to bail-less operation. The bails are not attached to the reels, they just hold themselves in under their own spring power. Below is a picture of mine with the bail off, every other thing concerning the bail is still in place on the reel.

You can have the best of both worlds instantly, while you're on the water, to deal with conditions. It takes a couple of seconds to remove or replace. I don't know why these reels are overlooked, I'm not aware of anything made in this country that was better, and they compare favorably with the better European reels.

Hope this info is of use to someone.

Tim

Re: Shakespeare 2052
Post 17 Aug 2020, 07:20 • #2 
Piscator
Hi Tim,
Yes, we're familiar with Shakespeare date codes which began in 1932.
(they had an additional month code for rods, which is manufacturing date rather than model change year - both google readily)
This is a Model HF Shakespeare 1900 Steelhead & Trout perfect, which was only made with the exposed spool back in 1935 (tough to find them with good remaining anodize - most have some degree of paint-over)

there are quite a few threads with lauds for the Shakespeare 2052

btw, here's '51 Ward's catalog with the shiny-new Shakespeare 2052 sold as the Sport King Model 40

Post 17 Aug 2020, 11:22 • #3 
Guide
Hi Tim-
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post the Shakespeare date codes. I’m sure there are some members, especially new collectors, that haven’t seen it.
You may have noticed that the I and O are missing? That was to avoid confusion with 1 and 0.
I agree with you about the 2052. A great little reel and my first spinning reel. Combined with a maroon wrapped Shakespeare ultra lite fiberglass spinning rod it was deadly on trout with worms!
I hadn’t considered that the bail could be removed. Neat trick-thanks!

Post 17 Aug 2020, 20:09 • #4 
Guide
Thanks for this, the instant manual bail is too cool. Going to check all my vintage stuff for this.

Post 17 Aug 2020, 21:01 • #5 
Administrator
The bail has a second, non-obvious function. The bail keeps the line roller bearing (green arrow) from unscrewing due to the constant rotation of the line roller. You may wish to loctite (blue 242) the roller lock nut (red arrow) to prevent this. I once lost a spool tension nut over the side of the boat. Fifty years later I can still remember how it twinkled as it disappeared. Loosing the whole line roller assembly would be much worse.

Out of curiosity, how much does a Shakespeare 2052 weigh?

Tom

Post 17 Aug 2020, 23:07 • #6 
Sport
Your mention of the lock nut got me wondering, so I checked the nut on my parts reel, and it was really tight, the whole way coming off. That reel and the one I fish with, were made after 68, and they both have a plastic/nylon insert in the end of the nut, presumably to keep the nut from coming off. Maybe Shakespeare had problems with earlier reels, and solved the problem? I don't have any earlier reels to compare to. Here's a picture of the nut, you can see the red insert.

I do know what you mean about those nuts though. I lost one on a Cardinal 4, but the worst was the Orvis reels made in Italy, by Zangi? They're swank reels, and the 50A I fished with was really sweet, but I think the Italians engineered those nuts to unscrew themselves as quickly as possible. I must have lost 3 of those nuts between the 50A and a 100, that game got old quick so down the road they went.

My 2052 weighs in at 8 1/2 ounces, here's a couple pictures of its partner.

Tim

Post 18 Aug 2020, 22:25 • #7 
Guide
That Maroon is beautiful. What a match with that rod! Almost pulled the trigger on the 2052 recently. I think I'm going to have to now!

Post 18 Aug 2020, 23:41 • #8 
Sport
It took me a long time to get the reel, the rod I bought new in the early 70's, they are pretty much made for each other. Today, it seems like the rod industry has been overtaken with a Henry Ford mentality, any color rod you want as long as its black, oh well. Good luck on your reel search.

Tim

Post 19 Aug 2020, 11:38 • #9 
Piscator
agree, the maroon wraps and ferrules on the yellow blank is a sharp combo with the reel

Post 19 Aug 2020, 15:14 • #10 
Guide

Here’s my 2052 EC matched with my Professional SP 921UL 5’ Wonderod that I’ve had since 1968 and have caught many trout, bluegills, and bass with this combo. Every fish was a thrill. Note the red lock-nut on the bail.

Post 01 Sep 2020, 00:14 • #11 
Sport
That's a good clean looking reel, the rod looks like it's caught its share of fish. I bought my dad a white Shakespeare UL, but it was later than yours. It had the same offset ferrule, with the long tip section, Shakespeares were the only two piece rods I've seen with different section lengths, although I'm sure someone else must have made them like that. Interestingly, the last 6 inches or so of the tip is solid clear fiberglass, like the Ugly Stiks, but it's a white Wonderrod.

I fished my 2052 without the bail the other night. I didn't see any great advantage to it, but it did make the night more interesting. But for sure, the bail spring will last a lot longer this way.

I found a 2062 in the basement, for some reason, Shakespeare didn't give that reel the removable bail, I don't know why not.

Tim

New Topic Add Reply