It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:31

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Nov 2008, 09:44 • #1 
[I moved this discussion to this forum where it should get a little more attention. Tom]

I have a fenwick fly rod model 225 length 7'. I dont know much about fishing poles, however I came across this pole in the trash. It looks to be an antique, it appears be in mint condition, it has never been used, been kept safe in its own case. I tried to research more information regarding the pole but I have not been able to determine how old it is. I was referred to this forum, maybe someone might know more about it.
edit: I added this photo from your posting on Clarks. Cofisher

Last edited by jgestar on 07 Nov 2008, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Nov 2008, 16:12 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Well, it is a spinning rod. But still, you found it in the TRASH? I look lots of places for glass rods, but never thought to look in the trash.
Can't quite tell in the pic, does it have a aluminum ferrule? That would make it a pretty early rod.
Quite a find, maybe someone else can give you more info.
Keith

Post 06 Nov 2008, 17:50 • #3 
Administrator
The model 225 was a light, 7 foot spinning rod. Fenwick sold them from 1956 through 1961. The close up photo of the rod case on your profile says Woodland, WA, so the rod was made in after August, 1958 when Fenwick moved to Woodland. The rod also does not have a serial number, so that would put it before mid 1960 when Fenwick started putting serial numbers on their rods.

Before you ask, the value probably runs in the $50 range, maybe a little more because the condition appears to be very good.

Tom

Post 06 Nov 2008, 18:58 • #4 
Thanks for the info ... I was surprised to find out that it dates back that far ... Would this rod be best used as a collector piece or should I go ahead and use it? How well do you think it will perform in the field?

Post 07 Nov 2008, 03:47 • #5 
Master Guide
Nice looking rod. I say fish it and enjoy it. That's why it was made!

Mike

Post 07 Nov 2008, 04:40 • #6 
Emeritus
Remember that value is determined by how much someone wants something. It looks like a really nice rod as you would expect from Fenwick. If you could find someone who collects, you have a nice collectible rod. If not, you've probably got a nice vintage rod that would be fun to fish with.

Post 07 Nov 2008, 05:37 • #7 
Administrator
The rod is in great condition for a collector, and you may get the best return for your investment Image by selling it on eBay . On the other hand, I think it would fish very well. This is one of the rods that made Fenwick's reputation. I would probably match it with a light spinning reel with 8 lb test line and some 1/4-1/2 oz lures.

By the way, the cardboard tubes are rather fragile and easily water damaged. In some respects the tube is the most collectible part of this kit. Keep the original tube, but if you use the rod a lot, buy a sturdier tube for day to day use.

Tom

Post 10 Nov 2008, 03:21 • #8 
Guide
Don't want to take away from this thread, so later I will start a new thread showing off a nice Browning Silaflex spinning rod that my dad found in the trash and gave to me. I will first say NICE FIND. I'd love to have a rod like that to fish. Secondly I wanted to comment on cofishers comment "Remember that value is determined by how much someone wants something." To someone, all right, a lot of someones out there, this rod is worth at least $50-$70, obviously way more for the guy who must have this fine rod. But to the guy or gal that chucked it in the trash it was worth exactly $0. I wonder how much vintage gear sits in landfills or was burned in energy from waste plants. This is not just a nice find, it was a great rescue. You should be proud for preserving this fishing rod to be enjoyed by you or someone else.
Tom

New Topic Add Reply