It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:25

New Topic Add Reply
Bamboo Stress Test
Post 09 Aug 2020, 19:01 • #1 
Guide
Return trip to Capps Creek, it was one of those casts where you loop over the only twig hanging off the other side of the bank. It was a small twig so I jiggled the spinner on the top of the water and BOOM. Great rod made by "sixfootrod" Marty 4'9" XUL Boo, heck of a fight on this rod, the fish tried to bully me but the rod did what it was supposed to do. The Soare's drag was also put to test, I have a CF drag for it, might be time to swap out the felt washers! My wife was watching the whole thing and snapped some pics just in time before the ol girl had had enough!

Re: Bamboo Stress Test
Post 09 Aug 2020, 19:10 • #2 
Piscator
fun stuff.

Yes, I really like Shimano's felt washers on their UL reels.
I've put them to the test with the scienid that shares the common name.

Post 09 Aug 2020, 21:53 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Good job, that's tough place to fish.

Post 09 Aug 2020, 22:40 • #4 
Guide
Nice catch! Beautiful bend in that rod.

Post 13 Aug 2020, 00:06 • #5 
Sport
Nice fish, nice rod. I think I'd be pretty nervous putting a bend like that in a bamboo rod, but I've never fished or owned a bamboo rod, they're probably tougher than I think. I'm curious, how does that rod compare weight-wise to a comparable fiberglass rod?

Tim

Post 13 Aug 2020, 12:41 • #6 
Administrator
walleyejoe wrote:
Nice fish, nice rod. I think I'd be pretty nervous putting a bend like that in a bamboo rod, but I've never fished or owned a bamboo rod, they're probably tougher than I think. I'm curious, how does that rod compare weight-wise to a comparable fiberglass rod?

Tim

I'm just glad he didn't bite into it when that rainbow made its wiggling bid for freedom. I would probably still be picking splinters from my tongue.

The best early spin rods were made from cane...

Tom

Post 13 Aug 2020, 13:06 • #7 
Piscator
A dozen years ago, a nice redhorse sucker (Guadalupe redfish) on light cane - you can measure him dorsal to tail like a shark
The tip section is exactly doubled over.

Post 13 Aug 2020, 13:25 • #8 
Sport
You know, I was thinking about that. I've done lots of stuff, some of it pretty dumb, and I'm not casting any aspersions on the Ghost, but I know, I just know, if I stuck an expensive bamboo rod between my teeth, something bad would happen.

Tim

Post 13 Aug 2020, 19:42 • #9 
Guide
It was a tough place to fish, and I wasn't even paying attention to the bend in the rod, and yes, I put some teeth marks in the finish, don't mind the aspersions, I simply cannot and will not put my rod over my shoulder for a picture. Thanks for all the comments, really appreciate them.

Post 13 Aug 2020, 20:16 • #10 
Sport
Maybe you can get a lanyard for it, too many more pictures and it will start looking like a rawhide bone, it's too nice for that.

There's a book by Harmon Henkin, "The Complete Fisherman's Catalog", he wrote about his ultimate UL spinning rod, bamboo, apparently about the same as yours. He said he picked it up from the builder, and headed straight to the river. He was throwing a jig and a huge smallmouth hit it, the fish went berserk, he just pointed the rod at the fish and let it break off in sadness. If you like 70's fishing tackle, you should get a copy of that book, copies are available for under $10, my copy is about falling apart.

Tim

Post 13 Aug 2020, 20:54 • #11 
Guide
Thanks Tim, I'm going to look for that book, and the weight is probably lighter than a fiberglass rod, it is featherlight in the hand. I'll weigh it and post.

Agreed Tom, it's hard to find a short ultralight vintage one though.

Steve

Post 03 Sep 2020, 23:09 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I think the guy in Cassville will build any kind of bamboo rod. He has chunks of the stuff in his overhead curing.

Post 05 Sep 2020, 11:48 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Grey Ghost:

First off, nice fish & nice rod!!!

I own more than a few bamboo spinning rods, mostly Orvis. The lightest in my quiver and maybe the lightest they made is a 5' Superlight Spinning @ 1-7/8 oz followed by the 5'9" Ultralight Spinning @ 2-3/8 oz. and the 6'0" Superlight Spinning @ 2-3/4 oz. I don't know how that compares to your rod or glass ultralight spinning rods in general, but I have a feeling your rod @ 4'9" is lighter.

I have a couple of vintage Orvis 50A's I use on them.

FWIW - I have passed over more than a few bamboo spinning rods with deep sets. Spin fishing, especially the repeated use of lures like spinners against the current in the same direction on the rod will over time put a set in it.

Do what you wish with you own rod, but sets can be easily avoided by rotating the rod as you play a fish so isn't always bending straight down and rotating the rod as much as possible as you are retrieving a lure that puts a deep bend in it.

Doing that will go a LONG way to help keep the blank straight over time.

Enjoy your rod!!

Post 05 Sep 2020, 20:35 • #14 
Guide
Thanks Bamboozle, and thanks for the tips, I usually cast up and downstream, puts equal bend both ways.
I remember I think you posting looking for one of those rods here awhile back in the wanted section and saw that you had found one, thanks for posting what Orvis made, I am keeping an eye out.

New Topic Add Reply