It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:36

New Topic Add Reply
Highway 60 Trifecta
Post 31 Jul 2020, 20:33 • #1 
Guide
I think the tip of one of these spinning rods is solid fiberglass so that counts right?
Looking at maps I figured out there are three trout places just off and along highway 60 close to me here in Missouri.
1st Hickory Creek Neosho, Mo. Nailed a nice Rainbow Smallmouth and Rock Bass
2nd Capps Creek Monett, Mo. Nailed a really nice Brown
3rd Crane Creek Crane, Mo. Nailed a super McCloud
These small creeks are surprisingly technical even for spinning gear, I have a renewed respect for anybody who Fly fishes these places!

Re: Highway 60 Trifecta
Post 31 Jul 2020, 21:48 • #2 
Piscator
great outing and report - thanks for the photos

Post 01 Aug 2020, 08:27 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice! It's great to fish where you can catch a variety of species. Is there any poison ivy on those banks?

Post 02 Aug 2020, 11:59 • #4 
Guide
There is plenty of poison ivy and lots of snakes :lol Most people should avoid these Creeks!

Post 03 Aug 2020, 12:59 • #5 
Guide
Beautiful fish and beautiful locations. Congratulations!

Post 03 Aug 2020, 13:50 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I am surprised there are any trout left in Hickory Creek this late in the summer. There and Capp's are both hit pretty hard by worm users for the pot. I fish them both occasionally through the winter, but turn more to bass in warm weather. Crane is just far enough away from me that I have only explored it a few times and never fished it. Those naturalized McClouds are skittish fish.
You did well to catch in all three. Thanks for the picture report.

Last edited by Trev on 03 Aug 2020, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 Aug 2020, 16:48 • #7 
Guide
Trev, fished hard, and finally found one about middle of park adjacent to the shelter/gazebo.

Post 03 Sep 2020, 09:24 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful water.........Aurelio

Post 03 Sep 2020, 10:58 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
GG, I once talked to the local biologist, he said when they shocked Hickory in late summer to evaluate the percentage of hold over trout that from Mo.86 down to the bridge by the ball fields that they found about a half dozen trout, said he was surprised at the number (and size 11''+) of rock bass. MDC will reload Hickory and Capp's in Oct. and Capp's has always had good carry over due to less pressure, a few growing into 6#+ range (moving into Shoal Creek and back) on the abundant crawdads. Capp's is a tough walk for me nowadays but back in the '80s-'90s I fly fished it often.
Tomah wrote:
Very nice! It's great to fish where you can catch a variety of species. Is there any poison ivy on those banks?

Hickory Creek has the most abundant poison ivy of any stream I've been on. Capp's has large patches of stinging nettle that will penetrate clothing. If you can't recognize them or ain't tough, it's just a half hour or so to our trout Park at Roaring River Spring where they keep the grass mowed and the paths are well trodden, very good for us geriatric types, and restocked daily.

Post 03 Sep 2020, 15:09 • #10 
Piscator
Most of the grasses here - only in the summer - release alkali into the morning dew - your legs are burning by the time you get into the river, and of course, getting into the river is the answer. It's a defense from deer, which get their only water by eating plants coated in morning dew.
When you leave and the grasses are dry, they don't bother you.
the reason I thought about it, here filming KT Diaries, the crew on the bank were dying from the stuff.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 04 Sep 2020, 06:12, edited 2 times in total.

Post 03 Sep 2020, 16:33 • #11 
Administrator
Sorry, but poison ivy rash is caused by an allergic reaction to urushiol from the plants. Urushiol acts as a classic immune system hapten leading to T-cell activation. Once a person is sensitized to urushiol, further exposures cause unpleasant dermatitis.

I've had plenty of lye burns in my career. I'm also nasty allergic to poison ivy. In my opinion, lye burns are less grief. The poison ivy rash is delayed, extensive, swells more, and lasts longer.

Tom

Post 03 Sep 2020, 17:17 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Urushiol -- yep. Nasty.

Post 03 Sep 2020, 21:56 • #13 
Guide
Wash with Tec Nu within 30 minutes of exposure and you will have little or no reaction.

https://www.teclabsinc.com/products/poi ... ivy/tecnu#

Post 03 Sep 2020, 23:02 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
dawn works and so will any detergent or soap that cuts common oils, the key thing is #1 knowing you were exposed and #2 having the means to wash that oil off, right here right now regardless of who is looking #3 is having clean garments to put on once you have taken that bath in public, fact is most people don't even recognize poison ivy any more than they do venomous snakes. A snake is snake and a vine is a vine mentality that lets them kill harmless snakes and wipe their bottoms with vine leaves.

Post 04 Sep 2020, 06:40 • #15 
Piscator
Fair enough Tom - I never "got" poison ivy as a kid, summers pounding the woods on my grandparents' farms in Tennessee, so I guess I don't have the allergic reaction.

Post 04 Sep 2020, 09:50 • #16 
Guide
You're lucky. I get it if I come within 100 yards of the stuff, or so it seems. Had it every summer as a kid. Got the shots for it, did help at all. Learned about the Tec Nu stuff when it was still only available in the industrial supply chain. Worked on a landscape crew at a country club one summer. They had the stuff there.

Post 04 Sep 2020, 14:53 • #17 
Administrator
bulldog1935 wrote:
I never "got" poison ivy as a kid, summers pounding the woods on my grandparents' farms in Tennessee, so I guess I don't have the allergic reaction.

That's 'buy a lottery ticket' lucky. I sincerely hope you never get a reaction. But...

Developing urushiol sensitivity late in life is well documented. Decades ago the best guided nature hike I ever took was in the woods of Mammoth Caves National Park. The ranger described years of grabbing poison ivy plants to show his tour groups. Then one day he reacted. He said he needed a couple weeks off work to recover. If you aren't allergic yet, be happy that I'm jealous. Still, treat those nasty plants with caution. You never know when your immune system will light up or why.

I'm with Trev - use Dawn soap or other dishwashing soap if you suspect you contacted poison ivy. Speed counts! Rub the soap on full strength, scrub gently, then rinse with water. Repeat. The Tecnu product FishFishWish recommends is a very interesting potion: Ingredients: deodorized mineral spirits, water, propylene glycol, octylphenoxy-polyethoxyethanol, mixed fatty acid soap, fragrance. That mixture should work very well. Tecnu also stresses speed on their label.

Tom

Post 04 Sep 2020, 16:57 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I used to think that I was insensitive to poison ivy etc., having run around the woods day in and day out with nary a thought about it. Years later, I went bouldering in the limestone along Barton Creek in Austin, Texas, coming down with a really itchy leg rash a couple days later. Never considered the possibility of poison ivy. Scratched it for a few days and finally went to the doc. Well, you guessed it. Had a hard time getting rid of that case, and now have a keen eye for the leaves of three -- and for the yellow berries of poison sumac.

Post 04 Sep 2020, 22:25 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I was about 30 the first time I had a reaction to ivy, handled a lot of it before that, chopped out and pulled up thickets of it and burned the stuff on brush piles, bare handed and bare armed. Then one day I had it all over and it got worse the next day and it took a trip to the doctor and some kind of shot, plus a prescription and about a week of misery to get over the worst of it.
I've never had it since either, but, I blame that on caution, gloves and long sleeves when working around it, hip boots when spraying it.

Post 05 Sep 2020, 20:43 • #20 
Guide
Trev, you have piqued my interest in some 11"+ Rock bass, I usually catch some smaller ones in there if I use something really really bright, hot pink, chartreuse, or yellow. Think I am going to make some hot pink woolys up and go haunting the Creek for a big rock bass.

Post 06 Sep 2020, 06:24 • #21 
Piscator
I've seen Lepomis (eared sunfish) sp. Warmouth that size, but definitely never seen Ambloplites sp. Rock Bass that size - of course most of our water isn't cold enough for the latter.
swimming BWO on our tailwater

New Topic Add Reply