It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:55

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Re: new casting reel
Post 12 Aug 2020, 23:57 • #51 
Sport
I have a better idea now what you're doing, I didn't realize you were modifying a 5500 too. If you're replacing the spools, I'm sure the new ones will be stiffer. I didn't realize you could put magnetic brakes in the sideplates on the round reels, I like that idea, but I don't see how you could adjust them without modifying the sideplate, or do you just set them and leave it?

Anyways, I got a box in the mail, and I took a picture, see if you can guess what it is, its not too hard.

Tim

Post 13 Aug 2020, 07:48 • #52 
Piscator
Very nice spool there.
Your frame is nice and shiny, but guessing it's never seen the salt. If you look closely at my as-received Blue Yonder photos, the frame is starting to pit beneath the chrome - in a way I like that - I can use it to justify buying the barstock frame.
(I'm actually converting one of these reel twins to 5500 width)

The shallow spools end up being stiffer by geometry (MOI - like a rod butt), and are stunning lightweight (18 and 20 g).
The 6500-size 5-mm-deep spool I show will hold 300 yds of my working braid (200 on the 5500 Avail spool) - if you think about that thin braid, no real reason you'd ever need a level wind. Like any conventional reel, filling fly reel backing, etc., you load your line with a good manual level wind, and after trips can use a line winder to restore it in the working line.

The Avail mag add-on simply slides onto the frame posts for the backplate.
The mag add-on won't fit a 5000D with clicker.

Yes, you have to adjust the mag with the backplate off, so it's a projection of need. Since each of my reels are going to cast such widely different lure weights, and I have other adjustable mag reels I've tinkered with the mag alone, I'll have a visual spin target for the result I want from the mag on each reel. There will be some trial-and-error adjustments casting the reel in my back acre, and kinda looking forward to it. The mag and super-spin bearings naturally go together, as in, bad bearings don't need mag.

The only time you need mag is casting into the wind, otherwise, it's a very small brake load compared to (level wind inertia,) centrifugal brake and especially spindle tension.
Also, when the mag brake takes over is when the spool is really slowing down and centrifugal brake load drops to nothing.
The end of this video has a really cool demonstration of the mag effect on hybrid bearing races.

Post 13 Aug 2020, 18:17 • #53 
Master Guide
Love this thread and i am loving old baitcasters!

here are some of mine in action
these are old 5000 and 6000 reels w/o the Garcia label on phillipson, ABU and shakespeare rods

Post 13 Aug 2020, 18:24 • #54 
Piscator
I like the Christmas Colors - of course very nice fish and water

Post 13 Aug 2020, 20:56 • #55 
Sport
Nice pictures, those reels look pristine. What is the rod in the pike picture, I'm a sucker for two handed casting rods, and I never see long handled rods on offset seats, except for the Conolon musky rods.

Tim

Post 14 Aug 2020, 08:41 • #56 
Master Guide
Tim,

Its an old ABU rod with Swedish markings. It has unusual angled spiral guides and i believe it came with two different tips (one light and one heavy). When i put together the outfit I wanted a pure Swedish pike rod and reel.

Mike

Post 14 Aug 2020, 10:40 • #57 
Guide
Those old Abu Speedlocks are some sweet rods. Hard to find in the USA.

Post 14 Aug 2020, 11:26 • #58 
Sport
There's usually about 1/2 dozen or more ABU speedlock rods (and sometimes just the handle assemblies) available on Tradera (Swedish eBay).

:hat

Post 14 Aug 2020, 11:28 • #59 
Guide
Pro Tip. Thanks!

[ Please review the posting guide about the proper use of quotations. ]

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply