It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:27

New Topic Add Reply
What do I have here?
Post 10 Jul 2020, 08:20 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Stopped by a Northwoods antique store as a break from the drive home and got a System 4 reel and the fiberglass spinning rod it was on for $20 (the owner insisted they be bought together). No lettering on the rod. Any idea what it is? Pretty cool reel seat and guides (one looks bend in the photo but its not). With the glass over sleeve ferrule and ferrule ring, it looks Phillipson to me. Both sections are 3'.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Driftless on 14 Jul 2020, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

Re: What do I have here?
Post 10 Jul 2020, 08:27 • #2 
Guide
It looks Phillipson....you scored !
Carl

Post 10 Jul 2020, 08:34 • #3 
Piscator
that is definitely a Phillipson patent seat
The ferrules, blank and wraps look like c. 1972 epoxite

here's the c. 1973+ 3M spigot ferrule - I think this rod is goosier, and your rod may be a better, faster spinning rod

Post 10 Jul 2020, 09:04 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Hobby build from a Phillipson blank. May have come in kit form. Possibly--can't tell from the pics--the same blank but branded for Orvis by Phillipson. Looks like condition is suitable for use, but if so (or if rebuilt), the sleeve-to-blank chamfer on the female ferrule should be wrapped, continuing 1/4" or so onto the blank. This is a reinforcement against splitting the thinned down portion of the sleeve. What is the length of the rod? It could have been built from a fly rod blank and thus be a candidate for rebuild as a fly rod or spin-fly. Unless it is an obvious spinning action or length, might be fun to temporary mount a fly reel and see how it acts.

Post 10 Jul 2020, 09:11 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys!

Whrlpool, it is 6'. It did have fly reel mounted on it, but obviously built up as a spinning rod.

Bulldog, it does seem to have a very nice action just doing a wiggle test.

Post 10 Jul 2020, 10:01 • #6 
Piscator
the wraps sure look like my buddy's EF75 Registered

Post 10 Jul 2020, 11:19 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the pic Bulldog. Your buddy's wraps are much cleaner, but it does look like a match.

Post 11 Jul 2020, 00:21 • #8 
Administrator
A System 4 reel and an unmarked Phillipson spin rod? For $20? Congratulations on successful larceny! I bet you couldn't get to your car fast enough.

The photos below are of a 6 foot, Phillipson Epoxite ES60UL factory spinning rod. The grip shape and reel seat match the unmarked rod, although the Epoxite seat is a darker color. The double loop guides were only used by Phillipson on fly rods and fly/spin rods (I don't know of other vendors). The unmarked rod has a more tapered ferrule than the Epoxite. I think whrlpool is correct that this is a kit rod, perhaps from Orvis. The unmarked rod ferrule was not wrapped across the transition and there are some gaps in the guide windings.

The third photo is the rod rating on the ES60UL rod. This was shown as a fly/spin rod in the 1974 catalog. The rod was suitable for lures up to 1/4 oz and monofilament of 2-6 lb test, or a 5 weight fly line. The rod has three double loop guides and three small spinning rod guides. Phillipson also made a 6 foot Swamp Fox spinning rod with the same grip design, reelseat, and lure/line ratings as the Epoxite. I would expect the unmarked rod to have the same lure/line characteristics.

Tom

The rod grip and female ferrule

Phillipson spinning rod guides, including the unique double loop guides

Rod model number and specifications

Classic meets modern

Post 11 Jul 2020, 06:21 • #9 
Piscator
twins

Post 11 Jul 2020, 10:42 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Wow, thanks Tom, I think you nailed it! Mystery solved! Yes, when the owner told me the price, I had to pick my jaw off the floor, keep my hand from trembling handing over the twenty, and the keep from tripping as I ran for the door!

Post 14 Jul 2020, 18:08 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
One more question - during a casting session yesterday (it is a sweet rod!), I found that the reel seat can be moved up and down the grip. Now for the question - is that supposed to happen?

Thanks!

Post 14 Jul 2020, 18:27 • #12 
Piscator
no, bro, it should bite like a rock.
You may need to shim the reel foot.
I like to use a cut piece of moleskin (foot care) -- sticky to the seating surface of the foot.

Post 14 Jul 2020, 21:43 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Bulldog (always wanted to use that Beatles reference!), just to clarify, if I have a reel attached to the rod, it does bite, it is without a reel that it can slide up and down. Is that the way it is supposed to be? Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it. Take care!

Post 14 Jul 2020, 21:50 • #14 
Piscator
I see now - the Phillipson patent seat will let you position a reel anywhere along the cork - if you look at my photo above with the Hardy Exalta, the seat is positioned all the way back against the butcap.
The idea is using a spinning reel or fly reel on the same rod.
Same idea as sliding bands on a "Tennessee grip", but the reel won't come loose and fall out - you have to unscrew the ring.

Post 15 Jul 2020, 05:59 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Very cool! Thanks so much!

Post 15 Jul 2020, 07:02 • #16 
Piscator
you're welcome

Post 19 Jul 2020, 03:02 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I have had a couple of the Phillipson spin/fly rods. They came in various lengths. It is a rod with reel seat to accomadate either a spinning reel or fly reel. You slide the reel seat accordingly for reel type and balance as Bulldog has already mentioned.

I have see phillipson, Abercrombie Fitch, Leonard, Orvis campers Special, and LLBean labeled models of same rod from Phillipson.

New Topic Add Reply