It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:15

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Jul 2020, 14:17 • #26 
Piscator
small glass minnow imitation for big toothy fish, with a velcro addition...

The lure is the 3" Flash J on small jigheads, 2.5-g with size 4 hook, or 2-g and 1.5-g with size 6 hook

The same internal mylar flash strip transmits purple-pink

Begin with a Mustad Double Trap stinger hook, this is size 4, tied with 10-lb single-strand titanium wire using a "knotless" snell knot.
The double stinger hook has a 3rd smaller and reversed hook for planting in the swimbait.

Turned out to be an easy knot to tie, cinched with pliers from each end, then a drop of super glue.

I've crimped many wire leaders for jacks and mackerel, even on a fly rod, and built bait rigs for bull reds in the surf,
but this is the first time I've worked with such diminutive hardware, 10-lb single-strand and 2.5 mm ring

The idea is snap both jighead and stinger leader to equally diminutive Mako titanium leader

velcro - the whole lure is now a size 4 treble, and the lure body still flexible.

Can't use this rig for bottom bouncing, but it's perfect fishing channel slopes.
Will also have to tie up a few more of these, because the stinger rigs are throw-away -
- since the hooks are only available in black nickel, not a good idea to keep them around in a lure box between salt trips.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 06 Jul 2020, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Jul 2020, 20:50 • #27 
Guide
Kastmasters , in 1/2 & 3/4 oz , 1 oz sometimes for stripers up here in N England , silver works good up north , gold a little better down Florida way , simple , effective , and you can buy the pieces and make your own cheaply at that lure parts website , add a buck tail teaser in certain cases and good to go !!!

Post 05 Jul 2020, 23:24 • #28 
Piscator
The Kastmaster XL, 4-1/2" and 1-1/2 oz. are a standard for casting to mackerel off the jetties.
Another great lure that doesn't sink so fast, and especially good for casting to pelagics and the surf are aluminum slab Tady's yoyo and surface irons -
- at 3-1/2 oz, they really sail on heavy tackle

Post 06 Jul 2020, 08:25 • #29 
Guide
Exactly Bulldog ! I like them on the coast here as (depending on the oz.) they cast a mile and cover a lot of water , can also cover a good range of depths depending on retrieval , in Florida on the Gulf Beach I fish , I can also cast a great distance to maybe reach some of the species that may not chase into shore , but the lighter weights I can drag over the crest of waves from 20ft and in , the snook tend to react pretty well sometimes . They’ve gotten crazy with colors and such , maybe more to bait the fisherman than the fish (?) but the good ole silvers & golds are always my staples ...

Post 06 Jul 2020, 08:51 • #30 
Piscator
I'm a major blue fan for night and low-light fishing, red for fish looking up. Those lures still flash.
My UL glass minnow above is like the everything lure, with flash, color and pink fish guts.

Post 08 Jul 2020, 08:57 • #31 
Piscator
just shot a couple more photos, and thought about sharing the youtube links for the stinger ends
snell knot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPI4rcDi1iE
this is the minimum for short, but it sure came out pretty

crimp loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMLpMKo9MKI
I have to make these connections under Ott lamp and Magnifier.
Needle-nose vice grips are a boon for handling the hook.
The finished parts are easy enough to hold up to the light and rig.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 08 Jul 2020, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

Post 08 Jul 2020, 09:11 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Nice colors on the Flash J's - may have to get some for drop shot'n the Bass around here. The 3" should be perfect.

Post 08 Jul 2020, 09:43 • #33 
Piscator
John, of course they don't name them by glow, silver, purple back, blue back, green flash - they're all given Japanese (place) names.
I can translate a few of these by their color numbers if you see one you want.

Maguro Pro Shop in Croatia is a Great vendor, impossible site to navigate, but they also sell on ebay as worldtackle
They also have the great gram-weight and Dart jigheads.
The trick is they are currently only shipping by DHL for $15, but when I tried a small ebay order, they contacted me (with great English) and I rounded up my order "offline" to cover all those colors, jigheads, and make it worth the shipping cost.

Easy for me to justify $80 worth - I'll be fishing these day and night all winter on salt UL.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 08 Jul 2020, 09:58, edited 3 times in total.

Post 08 Jul 2020, 09:49 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Ron, I'll check them out.

Post 08 Jul 2020, 13:25 • #35 
Guide
The old domestically made Super Duper is one of my most productive lures. Many years ago, I stopped at stream about 100 yards upstream from where it flowed into Lake Superior. I put on a Super Duper on my glass Shakespeare spinning rod. On my first cast a 27" lake run Brown trout hit it and after a strong fight I brought it in. A guy down stream watching me asked, "Were you you using a Mepps Spinner?" "Yea", I lied. He tied on a Mepps and caught the twin of my fish. The joke was on me.

Post 08 Jul 2020, 17:12 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
Ordered 3 packs, 1 each color of:
04 Pro Blue Silver
26 Kosan Ayu/Aurora
28 Baby Bass/Aurora

Thanks again bud.

Post 08 Jul 2020, 18:47 • #37 
Piscator
the Kosan Ayu aurora is neat, reflects green, transmits blue and pink
The 04 is the same blue back in my photo just above.
The green flash at the top of the page is #27 WAKASAGI AURORA
my purple-back is #25 LAKE WAKASAGI SILVER

Post 08 Jul 2020, 19:56 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
If these work the way I think they will, I'll be back for a few more packs.

Post 09 Jul 2020, 06:42 • #39 
Piscator
pmagas wrote:
The old domestically made Super Duper is one of my most productive lures. Many years ago, I stopped at stream about 100 yards upstream from where it flowed into Lake Superior. I put on a Super Duper on my glass Shakespeare spinning rod. On my first cast a 27" lake run Brown trout hit it and after a strong fight I brought it in. A guy down stream watching me asked, "Were you you using a Mepps Spinner?" "Yea", I lied. He tied on a Mepps and caught the twin of my fish. The joke was on me.

Pete, the tricky part fishing spoons in the river is the current, making spinners much easier.
There's a narrow retrieve rate on spoons that make them flutter instead of spin - if they spin, you're in for a tackle mess.

Post 17 Jul 2020, 07:23 • #40 
Piscator
hey John,
Finally received some size 6 stingers, which are notably lighter weight than the size 4, and figure I can tie them longer without messing the lure action.
I've also reached a system on the knot and crimp using my Ott lamp, magnifier, Dremel vise and needle-nose vice grips.
Really have the knot algorithm down, and had already reached crimp technique earlier.
This is the Kosan Aurora on a 2-g dart jighead

rigged and shot with reflective + overhead light

and here added a bit of backlight to show some of the transmitted color

Post 17 Jul 2020, 14:13 • #41 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
pmagas wrote:

Pete, the tricky part fishing spoons in the river is the current, making spinners much easier.
There's a narrow retrieve rate on spoons that make them flutter instead of spin - if they spin, you're in for a tackle mess.

Is that the reason they invented snap swivels?

Post 17 Jul 2020, 14:25 • #42 
Piscator
even better, some spoons, such as H&H, come with a ball bearing swivel on a split ring

to me, those big salty 60-lb swivels are for two-bait-rig + spider weight in the surf
You can see I like my titanium-wire micro-swivel bite traces for toothy gamefish

next to a 60-lb snap swivel

Post 18 Jul 2020, 15:26 • #43 
Sport
As you know by now I like to use vintage tackle. The vast majority of my fishing is with vintage baitcasting tackle. Last year at the NFLCC National I picked up two early brown fiber Phillipson spining rods for next to nothing. Each was 7ft long, the heavier one marked for lures up to 3/8oz and the lighter one was unmarked as to lure weights but was very soft and flexable (my personal preference) I grew up using early 1950's spinning rods like these and always appreciated their ability to deliver a soft cast and in the case of live bait, not to tear a nightcrawler off a fine wire hook. This got me to thinking that I would like to go back and give spinning a try with small, light lures this season. So far it has been fun. The first spinning lure that I can recall catching many fish of different species on was an ABU Reflex that my Dad's cousin gave me around 1954. This bait was later copied by the more famous Shyster. Shown here are some vintage baits I have been experimenting with, with good results.
They are from the top left to right, the first row: Heddon Tiny Chugger, Hoffman Spoon, Shakespeare Baby Popper (a Charles K Fox favorite) and L&S Panfish Master. Second row: Penn Dart Sparky (another Charles K Fox favorite), two South Bend Super Dupers, A Paw Paw Bait Co Lure (which I have forgotten the name of), and the ABU Reflex bait. Third row: (three lures) Tiniest version of the Wright and McGill Mericle Minnow, Phillipson Midget Killer (to give perspective this bait is exactly one inch long) and another great spinner the CP Swing. Forth row: Clark's Little Eddy, F7 Flatfish, a small floating Rapala and a small sized Tony Accetta Pet Spoon.

Post 18 Jul 2020, 16:52 • #44 
Administrator
Bill Sonnett wrote:
Shown here are some vintage baits I have been experimenting with, with good results.

You are leaving us hanging here! What kind of good results with which lures?

Tom

Post 18 Jul 2020, 23:42 • #45 
Guide
Great topic!

When spin fishing from my kayak I typically carry three lure types in a few sizes. If spin fishing for trout on streams, the jigs and Rapalas are all I bring.

Hula poppers. Spin or fly fishing for panfish and bass I always start with a popper!

Zig Jigs. These well crafted maribou jigs are what I used when I started fishing the Green River and the Flaming Gorge Reservoir, slamming good for trout. Bass and Panfish too. I tie my own jigs but can’t find the short hooks the Zig Jigs are made with.

Rapala Original Floating. Typically a #5. The number of trout, large panfish and bass caught on this lure is significant! Remove the front treble hook, flatten the barbs or replace the rear hook with a single barbless and you are good to go.

A few random lures get used too!

Post 19 Jul 2020, 08:20 • #46 
Sport
There are no lures here Tom that I have not regularly caught fish on. My lake is Largemouth bass and panfish. Surface fishing is my preference. It is a natural glacial pothole lake (250 acres and 11,000 years old). The only fish that puts fear in my heart when using spinning tackle is the healthy population of Bowfins (referred to as "Dogfish" locally) which are usually in weed infested areas where they bulldose their way into them with incredible speed and strength that only braid would withstand. I have never cared for braid on a spinning reel, but do use it on very light baitcasting tackle, using some of these same lures. Not sure beyond this what information you are looking for.

Post 19 Jul 2020, 10:13 • #47 
Piscator
thread taking off - thanks guys for contributing

Post 19 Jul 2020, 12:21 • #48 
Guide
Please allow me to describe a spinning lure that has probably not yet been mentioned. I often use a Mepps (or similar) spinner, although that was a nice reminder about the venerable South Bend Super Duper. Either of those two lures requires a snap swivel, as already discussed. But I like to tie in a barrel swivel or even a blood knot about a foot above the snap swivel. The tag gets left long, let’s say some six inches, to tie in a soft-hackle wet fly.

Post 19 Jul 2020, 20:55 • #49 
Sport
Bill - it looks like you're only missing a minno-bug. It was nice to see Charlie Fox's name mentioned, I'm not sure many people today know who he is, I'm guessing you have his book of lures. I hope the fishing in Michigan is better than here.

Tim

Post 20 Jul 2020, 07:33 • #50 
Piscator
PampasPete wrote:
Please allow me to describe a spinning lure that has probably not yet been mentioned. I often use a Mepps (or similar) spinner, although that was a nice reminder about the venerable South Bend Super Duper. Either of those two lures requires a snap swivel, as already discussed. But I like to tie in a barrel swivel or even a blood knot about a foot above the snap swivel. The tag gets left long, let’s say some six inches, to tie in a soft-hackle wet fly.

not far from the idea of my home-made single-hook spinners.
the tail is marabou tips wrapped with a pheasant rump soft hackle collar
note how the iridescent color of the soft hackle changes with different light angle (reversed between the two photos)

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply