It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:08

New Topic Add Reply
Yellow Fenwicks SC682
Post 27 May 2020, 13:28 • #1 
Master Guide
Recently I built out two of the SC682 blanks I acquired many years ago.

The "SC" designation is for spin cast. I extended the butt ends with a 4" stint to accommodate a proper length handle and built them into spinning rods.

I fished them on a small private lake and was quite impressed with their performance. I used Suffix 832 25# braid (6 lb mono equivalent) with an 8 lb floro leader on a Quantum Energy PTi20 reel that I acquired off e-bay to match a holographic color theme of another previous yellow Fenwick build. The combination of the soft fiberglass tips and braid made for a good hook set and sensitivity, although the vast majority of hits from the crappie and bass were ferocious and violent and left little doubt about hook sets.

For comparison purposes I used standard Pac Bay SV guides on the green rod and Fuji high frame "K" guides on the blue and orange rod. I noticed no difference in the accuracy, casting distance or performance of the rods. I do like the design of the tip top for the "K" guides. It has a "tang" that lays flat on the rod and allows an extra measure of security for wrapping to the rod.

Image Image

I do believe the braided line makes a noticeable difference in casting distance over mono.

Very pleased with the two new rods and had an enjoyable couple of days "testing" them with some good results and excellent table fare.

Image Image

New Topic Add Reply