It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:24

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Apr 2020, 17:20 • #1 
Administrator
What do you use? Sure there are classics like the Alcedo Micron and Luxor. But what can we buy on the market today?

I have a pair of Shimano Sienna 500FD reels. While they were bottom of the Shimano line reels from a few years back, they are still a much nicer piece of gear than my old and worn Mitchell 304s. They are still available on the secondary market. They also weigh in at 6.07 oz each (172 g if you speak metric). I was looking for small capacity and light weight. Light on the wallet was a bonus.

Tom

Post 24 Apr 2020, 18:39 • #2 
Piscator
Up front, must add the Tica Cetus SS500 for a micron-size spinning reel, and a $45 price point.
I've fished mine 10 years now on my salt XUL.

This reel is also made in a slightly larger 800 size.
A friend on corpusfishing has this reel and also recommends Daiwa BG 1500, which steps us up to pretty much all the modern 1000-2000 UL size reels.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 25 Apr 2020, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Apr 2020, 18:57 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Chris over at finesse-fishing has some beautiful JDM light spinners in the many hundreds of dollars.. but they sure look pretty.. Shimano Cardiff ci4 1000,

One of the posters at the alantani light tackle forum recommended the Daiwa Revros LT 1000, on the budget side. Found one on sale and will see if there have been any improvements in reel tech since 1980-something.. ha.

Post 24 Apr 2020, 20:08 • #4 
Guide
The Daiwa 500C "was" the goto reel for threadlining. I have about 20 of these little jewels along with another couple dozen of the Shimano MLZ 10. I had aquired several AXUL 500's as well. Tinkering with the Daiwa and the MLZ, I pitted them against each other. To my surprise I found the Shimano MLZ to be a much more superior reel to the 500C. Much bigger diameter shaft, bigger main bearing, one more gear on the ratio, the pinion reaches all the way back to the frame support for incredible strength. Little longer handle on the MLZ They each have their own "distinctive" different drag system designs. Steel anodized oscillator, cold forged spool also on the MLZ. A little further tinkering with the AXUL and I found out it is the NEW graphite version of the all metal MLZ with a more conventional drag system. They are tough as nails and IMO are one of the best out there ever made unless you get into the worm gear driven reels. They have no instant anti-reverse either. I have never had a Tica Cetus 500 YET!
I have the Sahara 500 with the Hagane gears for about $75 and have added bearings in the handle and CF Drags and it performs flawless, I bought two more I'm hoarding back.

Post 24 Apr 2020, 20:26 • #5 
Guide
Here is a nice Smallmouth from last Summer and the insides of the Sahara 500 with those Hagane Gears. Notice picture of replaceable bail ramp which is one of my pet peves of other graphite bodied reels, also notice lifetime bail spring.

Post 25 Apr 2020, 08:07 • #6 
Piscator
there's something to be said for going to the 1000 and 2000 size reels.
Especially in Shimano and Daiwa, the 500, 1000 and 2000 size reels use the same size reel bodies, different length handles.

A slight difference in spool diameter, but a significant difference in spool stroke (and spindle).

If your goal is casting distance, you gain a lot more with a 1000-2000 size reel,

If you're looking at high grade light materials like the composite CI or magnesium (Vanquish), there's no real weight difference
(the Vanquish is the lowest inertia - lowest moving mass - reel ever made).
And of course you also gain worm-gear oscillation with the higher grade reels, and the excellent line management that brings

The Soare CI4+500S weighs 140g,
while in C2000 sizes, it weighs 160-180-g, depending on which longer spool/stroke.
The Vanquish C2000S is 145g.
These are Shimano's two highest-grade UL reels.

If you want most of these features for half the cost of those flagship models, look at the Shimano Stradic 1000 sizes, FK, FL, and CI4+

Post 25 Apr 2020, 17:54 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks again BD and the rst of you guys.You get right to the meat of the subject.I waste a lot of hours doing comparisons online and end up more confused than anything.I find the mid sized mid priced Daiwa reels a good value but going small i have had more bad ones than good.So often hook a large fish on small bait.Using super lines not always simple to break them off .The UL reels seem to get trashed from a hard fast run.

Post 26 Apr 2020, 05:20 • #8 
Piscator
you're welcome - except picking up Ticas beginning 10 years ago, I was happy with my Penn 4200SS, but I've really fished through it.
As smooth as Ticas are for $45-95 reels, when you get to $200 reels, they'll bowl you over, and built so you are unlikely to fish through them.
Yes, they keep it confusing by giving flashy names to common technology applied by different companies.
As a metallurgist and PE, it's pretty easy for me to look past the hype and see the technology.
"Hagne gears" = forged alloy
"X-Protect" = labyrinth seals, etc.
I also have a thing for metal reels.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 21 May 2020, 10:13, edited 2 times in total.

Post 18 May 2020, 19:32 • #9 
Guide
OK folks, I'm late to the party, but I have been using an ultralight type Shakespeare Contender reel, model # CONT20, holds 110 yards of 4 pound test monofilament. It matches up well with a 6'-6" Shakespeare Wonderod UL spinning rod. Rod and reel are several decades apart, but seem to relate to each other pretty well. I've been using it for a light trout rod with Roostertail spinners and small trout jigs.
Walt

Post 19 May 2020, 14:11 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
that's a pretty combo MtPisgah.. a Shakespeare 2052 would be the perfect reel for the rod though ;-)

recently acquired a hand-down Mitchell Avocet 500, it's functional, smooth with a decent drag. But nothing like a classic Mitchell. I'll give it to my son for his Boundary Waters trip, load up with 8lb in case they run into pike..

It was on a Berkley graphite with a busted tip, pitched that rod and bought a Bass Pro Microlite glass rod for $20, 6'6" for 2-6lb line. It's surprisingly nice, not a quick action still faster than a Wonderod, and classic glass flex. Hopefully it will be tough enough to survive the portages..

Post 20 May 2020, 07:17 • #11 
Piscator
If you're looking for cost-effective 500-size reels to fish that 2-lb tippet, Shimano offers them in both Nasci and Sahara.
Daiwa offers the D-spin 500-size UL.

Post 20 May 2020, 09:28 • #12 
Sport
One reel that i'm curious about is the Daiwa SS 700 tournament. Never tried it, but it seems popular with people who wants a new old school reel.

Post 20 May 2020, 19:30 • #13 
Sport
I still use my Daiwa SS 700 that I purchased back in the 1990's. It's easy to find and replace parts that wear out or break (have only had to do this twice so far for the bail mechanism). If I'm going ultralight spin fishing in remote places and/or in rough conditions, it's the reel I'll always use.

Post 20 May 2020, 19:53 • #14 
Guide
The 700SS is arguably one of the best reels ever made and they still making them. And they are a puzzle inside, but fun to tinker with and supertune. Worm gear drive, excellent drag, (better with CF replacement), readily available bearing upgrades, the turn off for most folks is no instant anti-reverse.

Post 21 May 2020, 05:38 • #15 
Piscator
It is an interesting reel, and definitely fits this thread - they put everything into the line management, nice spool, threw away everything they possibly could (hammer bail closure) and made it from the cheapest possible materials. The ratchet-lock anti-reverse - as long as it's clean and lubed is more reliable than a cheap roller-bearing clutch (which is more reliable than a flimsy pawl). It also has many places to improve with bearings, from the worm shaft to the line guide.
So many things to go wrong, it's not a reel to buy used.
Price is listed at $125, $105 is more the norm, and good shopping will find it for $95.

Post 23 May 2020, 02:45 • #16 
Sport
Already thinking about the ss700, the responses made me finally going after one.

And i got my Tica Cetus SS500 two weeks ago, have not tried it yet. In size it feels much like my Micron, but spool diameter is remarkable smaller.

Post 23 May 2020, 07:03 • #17 
Piscator
Just keep in mind the Daiwa SS700 is not a reel for braid, and it's not a reel for the salt (in any size). But it looks like a great option for freshwater UL, mono or fluoro.
In 1300/1600 sizes, would personally go with my favorite Tica Libra to get the same cast result in a better-built reel.

Alcedo and Cargem both came in two sizes, about the same as our modern 500 and 700/800 sizes.
Don't have my nice Micron any more, so I don't have the spool to measure - it was too good not to fish, so I petted it for awhile and moved it to a happy home.

But the Cetus SS500 is the smallest out there - the only current micron-size reel I know of - and definitely a reel for 2-lb mono, though I fish it with my favorite Kamikaze 4-lb copolymer
Tica also offers an 800 size in Cetus SB and GCA

Post 24 May 2020, 06:58 • #18 
Sport
bulldog1935 wrote:
Just keep in mind the Daiwa SS700 is not a reel for braid, and it's not a reel for the salt (in any size). But it looks like a great option for freshwater UL, mono or fluoro.

Perfect for me then, I only do freshwater and mono. Except for occasionally using nanofil.

New Topic Add Reply