It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:59

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Apr 2020, 17:36 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I know this is off topic but all these reels got me thinking.Any place i can look up diagrams for older penn saltwater spinning reels?I Have one in particular i would like to clean and lube.Its a pretty big reel and now that they are starting to reopen some state parks I like to get this one functioning.My buddy wants to go chase big blue cats at a nuke lake.Good chance at 30-50 lb fish in open water.I have lost every battle with these beasts and need a real winch of a reel.I have been doing a little window shopping on some of the UL reels BD mentioned.

Re: Reely Big Reels
Post 23 Apr 2020, 18:01 • #2 
Administrator
the hersh wrote:
I know this is off topic but all these reels got me thinking.Any place i can look up diagrams for older penn saltwater spinning reels?I Have one in particular i would like to clean and lube.

Try Mike's Reel Repair. Another option is the Alan Tani forum.

the hersh wrote:
My buddy wants to go chase big blue cats at a nuke lake.Good chance at 30-50 lb fish in open water.I have lost every battle with these beasts and need a real winch of a reel.I have been doing a little window shopping on some of the UL reels BD mentioned.

Um, are you sure a Penn International wouldn't be a better choice? :)

Tom

Post 23 Apr 2020, 21:28 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
It is in box ,i will post the model # tomorrow.It is a big reel ,this lake used to be a fantasic sm bass hybred striper lake.Then they cranked the plant up and the water got too hot.The bluecats thrived in the warmer water and follow the shad schools around the lake.It is an eerie place,perched lake in the middle of flat cornfields.Always steamy,you feel like your in a sauna when on it.It was a sensation when it first opened.The state utility sold all it's power plants,they sell the excess power on the open market so it runs wide open now.The water gets close to 100 on the hot side in summer i hear.

Post 24 Apr 2020, 06:58 • #4 
Piscator
Holy crap Tom, break it out and move it here. This is a really big forum, with more than one thread to post upon. [Done. The Threadliners topic is getting a bit big. - Tom]

In the meantime, here's the Spanish-made Sagarra. Comparable in size to a modern "10,000"
The first skirted spool spinning reel, c. 1948, and still made in this form today.

Most people think of DAM Quick reels as small, and they gave the delicate name Finessa to one of their big surf reels

The first DAM flip-bail, SW-68 - there was an earlier half-bail version (unfortunately, the company history page became polluted with malware)

My largest Penn is a 712, and that's as big as I want to take fishing
(modern reels in the same size are half the weight)

Post 24 Apr 2020, 13:01 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks BD i posted in the wrong thread.The reel i have is a penn 704z.Capacity of 350 yds of 12 lb/220 yds of 20.The drag is in the spool.I just want to service it without breaking anything.It should function as is but i know it can operate more smoothly.Will braid damage the line roller etc.Seems to be a little play in the spindle.Built like ford tractor and almost as heavy.

Re: Any Threadliners?
Post 24 Apr 2020, 13:15 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
the hersh wrote:
Any place i can look up diagrams for older penn saltwater spinning reels?
.. chase big blue cats at a nuke lake..

also try reelschematics..
Let us know the reel model etc if no luck, I've been wasting time finding reel schematics recently and can have a poke around..

nuclear blue cats ? sounds a bit terrifying ;-)

Last edited by doug in co on 24 Apr 2020, 13:27, edited 2 times in total.

Post 24 Apr 2020, 16:39 • #7 
Piscator
You can buy a nice bearing upgrade kit for the reel
https://www.fasteddybearings.com/penn-7 ... aring-kit/
You can also upgrade the drag composition

Any spinning reel with a ball-bearing line guide is safe to use with braid.

And yes, Tom, it would be really nice if the Threadliners thread was about spin-fishing rods made using fly-rod blanks.
"Contribution" is a misunderstood or simply overlooked word that's starting to remind me of youtubes.
This thing is never on.

Tom, feel free to part it out into several threads.

Post 24 Apr 2020, 17:11 • #8 
Administrator
bulldog1935 wrote:
And yes, Tom, it would be really nice if the Threadliners thread was about spin-fishing rods made using fly-rod blanks.
"Contribution" is a misunderstood or simply overlooked word that's starting to remind me of youtubes.
This thing is never on.

Tom, feel free to part it out into several threads.

We visited on many subjects that will be worth more discussion as new topics moving forward. How about we start with modern spin reels suitable for XUL?

Tom

Post 24 Apr 2020, 18:09 • #9 
Piscator
yes, that's a big break out

Post 25 Apr 2020, 18:24 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks,things get off the rails,and yes i did visit many of the linked sites.I did see the rebuild kits.How many versions of the 704z.This is black bronze colored handle and black spool.This ones looks 70s to me.It is heavy but i will use from a boat probably drifting cut shad.Doug they are a little frightening.In the mississippi river between MO and IL they commonly catch them over 100lbs.In the same area they caught a good sizes bull shark years ago.Pretty long way from the gulf.My biggest cat was a channel that went 23lbs on a hand scale and was released.We have half a dozen or so of these lakes,not all are nuke plants,there is one about 90 miles south and we watched a guy catch 84lb flathead from shore.These places are like rivers ,they have a constant current that loops through a series of levies in and out of the plant.They are "perched" ,meaning the levies are about 30-40 feet above the surrounding farmland to take advantage of the wind in this very flat state.The constant warm temperature results in a year round growing season.

'

New Topic Add Reply