It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:06

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Mar 2020, 08:07 • #1 
Master Guide
Does anyone know where I can get parts for these vintage ultra light spinning reels ? The line roller is grooved & I think the bail spring broke. They might have been similar to a South Bend model but I don't know which one. Thanks.

Last edited by springer1 on 31 Mar 2020, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post 31 Mar 2020, 08:18 • #2 
Piscator
Might be able to identify who made them with photos - unless you can do that, finding parts are hopeless.
Once you do that, might contact Dick Janak through ORCA.

As fishing reels go, spinning reels are amazingly complicated mechanisms. I always say the 1932 Hardy patent for the Altex was the Space Shuttle of fishing reels.
They're even much more complicated today.

Even baitcasters, with their modern improvements, are still a basic mechanism.

Post 31 Mar 2020, 09:39 • #3 
Administrator
There are 3 of these reels, from $20-90 on fleaBay at the moment... allegedly in working condition.

Post 31 Mar 2020, 09:40 • #4 
Piscator
and that's a great idea - cannibalize a few for parts and assemble the best of the bunch.

Post 31 Mar 2020, 10:49 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, and a great labor of love. For sure, it isn't as easy always as getting one "parts reel," unless you get two or five of them. The most commonly worn or broken parts--just what you want--are usually why they are a "parts" reel--having the remaining parts that aren't so wear prone. Lot of fun to mix and match several until you come up with all you need.

Sometimes a little searching of springs at a hardware store/OL supplier, will turn one up that can be modified to suit.

Post 31 Mar 2020, 15:08 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
looked on ebay, look quite similar to the South Bend Classic 925 Japan-made reels.
Here's a tutorial on the 925 - https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28146.0
Another similar reel is the Shakespeare 2200 Japan-made - not the Sigma series, but the predecessors, usually labelled 2200 Ball Bearing. This was made by Omori in Japan and it looks like the Diamond is an Omori brand too.

The only parts available for the Fury or the SB or the Shakespeare will be on ebay maybe.
Bad news is the SB Classic 925 has started to attract collector interest, and these are both rare and selling for relatively high prices.
In general the ultralight spinners are more in demand, so harder to find and pricey when you do.

I have a SB 930 and it's a terrific reel, well designed and solidly made with a good drag. Just have to get over that made-in-Japan thing.. this is much better than I remember the Daiwas etc from that era.

Best bet as folks say, is to look for one on ebay as a spares reel. The roller guide and the bail spring are what usually break unfortunately.. I was able to find a roller for a Shakespeare 2052, and a bail spring for an Orvis 50, so it is possible though may take some time.

Here's the schematic and parts list for the SB Classic, courtesy of the good folks at alantani:

New Topic Add Reply