It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:07

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Jun 2020, 09:40 • #26 
Piscator
Grey Ghost wrote:
I picked this line up here local, give it a try.

Had to dig deep into the reel for this last bearing upgrade, not for the faint of heart, I am approaching the 1000 reel mark of servicing reels, but have only worked on a handful of Stradics

thanks - 4-lb braid, that's trick, and looks like it perfectly filled the spool.
Gunga Din comes to mind on that last bushing upgrade.

Post 11 Jun 2020, 21:19 • #27 
Piscator
a little Tica orange pimp using Daiwa parts that saturated Oz/NZ and were closing out cheep.
These handles also had to use the IOS brand hexagonal handle shaft made to fit Daiwa RCS handles.
One SX3000 with Livre EF30 knob, one with Daiwa 24 mm cork and matching orange knob.
The 55mm handle pitch is perfection on this reel.

last edited for gee, dummy, if you're going to show the cork handle, show the rod cork with it

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 12 Jun 2020, 06:46, edited 4 times in total.

Post 11 Jun 2020, 21:33 • #28 
Emeritus
Hi Ron,
Tell me more about that cork knob. How big is it compared to the libra sx1500 stock knob which I like so much?

Post 11 Jun 2020, 21:34 • #29 
Piscator
I was writing you a pm as you posted.
The Daiwa knob exactly matches the SX3000 EVA knob.
The SX1500 knob is 4 mm smaller, which isn't much.

Post 13 Jun 2020, 06:56 • #30 
Piscator
Like reel stands, here's another tough-to-love thing - double handle on spinning reel.
Ultimately, form has to follow function.
I arrived here from the counterbalanced handle with the spooky Vanquish - that sold me on double handles.

That Lowest-inertia reel turns with a breath, and stops dead with a thought - no other reel ever is like it (Shimano Soare is a close second on paper).
When you get your near-weightless and wind-resistant bait rig out as far as you can from the Arroyo dock and working it, if gravity makes the reel take up 6 inches of line, it changes your presentation and you have to adjust.
Most reels have the tendency to turn under gravity from the sum of individually small handle and rotor imbalance.
The double handle eliminates it, returning total control to you.

Also cool with the clear acrylic knobs (3-g/), you can see through to the handle guts, ball bearings and spindle, of course with a concave lens effect.
The gunmetal finish on the handle matches gunmetal trim on the reel, and of course the orange caps and through-thickness deep orange of the acrylic knobs match the orange anodize reel trim.
On this low speed reel, the 45 mm handle pitch is a decided improvement over the stock 50 mm handle.
40 mm would be even better, but not at the price of a Livre Wing 80.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 16 Jun 2020, 08:29, edited 2 times in total.

Post 16 Jun 2020, 07:30 • #31 
Piscator
jury is still out on this, my inshore Stradic 4000 - I love the handle, and especially love the EF30 knob.
Daiwa 55 mm handle I had already tried on Libra SL, here using a Shimano shaft thread converter.
But in the swap for the 57 mm Shimano handle, gave up a labyrinth seal with o-ring, and it's like this handle spins too easily and makes the already fast reel even faster.

may go back to the Shimano handle for the seal and move the Livre knob over - or maybe becoming a junkie for counterbalanced handles - second and third days, this thing is really smooth.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 17 Jun 2020, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Jun 2020, 10:06 • #32 
Sport
that rod with the tall "match" guides is cool as all get out! what action/power? i sure like getting tackle at flea markets.

Post 17 Jun 2020, 15:11 • #33 
Piscator
as far as I know, every rod on this thread was listed by model or showed the rod label - you'd have to do a better job calling out or quoting the rod you're referring to in order to get an answer.
Or if you hit pm at the bottom of the post, you'll quote the post in a pm to the post author.

And since I'm here, a little more reel pimp - braid-specific titanium line roller with 2 ball bearings - it spins like a bicycle wheel, doesn't need seals, and easy to maintain.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 25 Jun 2020, 20:03, edited 5 times in total.

Post 17 Jun 2020, 17:19 • #34 
Administrator
nctrucker wrote:
that rod with the tall "match" guides is cool as all get out! what action/power? i sure like getting tackle at flea markets.

Do you mean the rod in post #21? the dark rod blank on the right with the burl cork grip and the black slip rings? That rod has the most "match" like guides to me.

Tom

Post 18 Jun 2020, 21:00 • #35 
Guide
Yes, matches the reel perfect, only problem is It doesn't match me that well, Yet

Post 01 Jul 2020, 09:08 • #36 
Piscator
One to add.
I've become a total junkie for counter-balanced (or double) handles on spinning reels.

Without counter balance, the weight of the bail and handle in this position would keep the reel spinning, but it stops solid for you with counter balance.

Post 01 Jul 2020, 20:24 • #37 
Guide
Looks sexy as heck Bulldog, I have something in the works on an older Custom X 1000 Ultra Light Special, waiting on a Custom X 2000 to arrive, see if the stroke is better on the 2 and put it on the 1.
" Gunga Din comes to mind on that last bushing upgrade." I don't think so!

Post 02 Jul 2020, 06:03 • #38 
Piscator
out of all my reels, that's the one that will spend the most time in the salt and catch redfish. Even baitcasters, I have three to cycle through in the common slot.
I have the best spool on it for 15-lb braid, the original spool as back-up (for two reels); titanium line roller designed for braid, light-tackle, big-fish salt; My favorite 30 mm and lightest handle knob, round on the palm, and pentagonal where you thumb powers it; and on a counter-balanced handle, so the spool will only take up line I choose.

My UL reels have a specific niche, each matched with specific rods, and they also have counter-balanced handles (or doubles).
My 5000 offshore reel came with the deepest spool, has the least pimp on it, but it has the titanium line roller and my favorite 37 mm titanium handle knob (same idea, same 14-g weight, even, and hexagonal facets where your thumb powers it).

Post 12 Jul 2020, 10:54 • #39 
Piscator
yes, been working down in my salt reels to convert line rollers to MTCW titanium.
These were designed specific for light-tackle salt and light-test braid (max 20-lb).
Even the Shimano top-end Stella cartridge roller ($50 part) on my Vanquish proved to be chromed brass.

Again, the advantage is the seals are replaced with an extra ball bearing, lithium grease is replaced with light oil; with salt use, the whole thing will need replacing, anyway, and this design is a whole lot easier to maintain - and light oil - simply replace the bearings when needed.
This puppy was tough to photograph, with the reflective CI4+ composite rotor parts.
These are the best 3 out of 140 frames.

Again, the total absence of inertia in the Vanquish is surprising to freakish.
You put your very best reel against it, and can feel the inertia in that reel where you never noticed it before.

The Stradic UL was so much easier to photograph - I shot 38 frames, but could have used any of them - there was a bit of difference where the camera centered the focus, and easy to throw in light with a milk jug and bike light.

Post 13 Jul 2020, 21:08 • #40 
Guide
That's nice Ron, I have another one coming, CI4 Stradic 1000, along with some double handles to play with and stands, for the 1000 and the C2000. complete bearing upgrades and CF Drag washers and extra handle bearings too. Being a Creek bum, I rarely have a need for anything bigger than these size reels.

Post 14 Jul 2020, 16:37 • #41 
Piscator
Steve, I have another in the pike, too, Stradic C1000S, I believe the same as yours (unless you have the larger diameter spool, C2000S). Probably won't finish it out until next month, but it's getting a 36-mm-pitch double handle that's an agglomeration of parts from different suppliers. Share some photos as you can, and I'll do the same.

Post 22 Jul 2020, 16:18 • #42 
Guide
GAWD! That burled cork. Nice! :eek

Post 24 Jul 2020, 21:04 • #43 
Guide
Got some cranks and stands to pimp with. This might be overkill on the little Soare 500 CI4, It feels good on the reel on a rod, going to try to get some fish on it tomorrow. It's Carbon Fiber, try to keep the weight down, the stand is just a stand no counter balance weights but the reel evens out without any weights in the stand. They are both from Gomexus The bigger double handle really multiplies the slop in the Hagane gears of the reel, a hair of play now where none was felt with stock handle.

Some great Quality parts from Ron on the C2000S

Some color coordinated bits for the Stradic CI4 1000 that just arrived at Kansas City Post Hub

Last edited by Grey Ghost on 24 Jul 2020, 21:21, edited 2 times in total.

Post 24 Jul 2020, 21:11 • #44 
Guide
It is almost Ultra light fast but not nctrucker, does that make sense? LOL a 1/8th oz lure is it's sweet spot. Sorry for the slow response, i wasn't paying close enough attention.

Post 24 Jul 2020, 22:21 • #45 
Piscator
I have the 72mm version of that handle for my low-geared Stradic C1000S - waiting for my knobs to arrive before showing it.

Post 27 Jul 2020, 18:46 • #46 
Piscator
Hey Steve, here's the final pimp version of my low-geared and small-diameter-spool C1000S, and probably the last parts order I can justify.

I'll edit with a photo of the stand, a $16 Tsubaki version, but the handle came out so gorgeous.

The handle is an amalgam from a few - I bought the 72 mm (36-mm pitch) Gomexus handle with Daiwa hex shaft to use on my Tica SX1500, but the Gomexus hex shaft wouldn't fit - they didn't give the 4mm hex faces any slide-fit clearance.
I had the Livre base on an FV long single handle on the high-speed C2000SHG, decided I wanted the counter-balanced Union instead.
Turns out the square key on the Gomexus base and carbon handle exactly matches Livre base and handles, so I was able to rig up this short-pitch handle mixing Livre and Gomexus.
Used it first with inexpensive Avail black Pom knobs, happy with it, then came back with the Avail sky blue lucite knobs - they're dark blue looking through the long way.
Also installed my MTCW titanium line roller.

Back with the reel stand side - it has a rotating hook keeper and carbon insert

The spools will swap between my 3 small frame Shimanos, and I have one loaded spare.

Post 27 Jul 2020, 18:58 • #47 
Guide
Good looking reel Ron, love the knobs and the 72mm handle, I need to find a 72 for my 500s. I got my new CI4 Stradic finally and am very pleased with the Gomexus handle and stand. I have the complete bearing kit coming also. I have preordered a VF1000F, Justify? NO haha The handles and the stands add just a hair over one ounce to the reels. The total for the Soare is 6.17oz The new Stradic total is 6.8

Post 28 Jul 2020, 06:19 • #48 
Piscator
yeah, the red looks great.
Before the Vanquish, the Soare was Shimano's best UL

Post 13 Aug 2020, 21:02 • #49 
Guide
Ordered the Daiwa handle and robbed just the handle to swap the 72MM for the 98MM, It's much more appropriate for the little 500 Soare. wish I could have swapped the rich gold anodized cap along with it.

Oh and these came in the post too!! Thanks Ron

Post 13 Aug 2020, 21:31 • #50 
Piscator
yeah Steve, the handle pitch looks perfect on the little reel.
I have a leftover black Gomexus/Daiwa post with a black cap nut if either of those parts would help you.

Great shoes

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply