It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Feb 2020, 23:03 • #1 
Piscator
Made the long drive down Friday with Lou and Susie, and after epic burgers and Huts-clone onion rings at Chili Willie's, were fishing from the dock by sunset.
Friday night, Chili Willie's was packed with fishermen, and during the days, many boats were running the arroyo out to LLM.
Though we drove south with a tailwind, we had cold air into the mid-40s and dead calm for both Friday and Saturday nights. We drove back north today with a tailwind, too.

Friday night, I got a limit, Lou was short by one fish, and Susie caught 3. Susie had the best fish Friday at 17-1/2".
The score for 3 nights, I got 3 limits minus 1 fish, Lou got 3 limits minus 2, and Susie got one limit plus 3.
I had all these filleted by 11pm.
The normal drill here is fish sunset to about 9pm, take a nap, get back up at 2 or 3am to fish a couple more hours, another cat nap, then espresso and cook a big breakfast.
Siesta and big meal late in the day, and hit it again at night.
Of course we stuck to our calendar-day limits - e.g., if I got up at 3am and caught two more, would limit myself to 3 fish that night.

About half the fish were caught on 2" swim shad tandem rigs, glow in front and blue in back - every fish ate the blue.
The fish were a blast on 7-1/2' XUL rockfish rods, 4-6-lb test.
I caught one fish on 3" blue SS3 swim shad, but the dock light was thick with minuscule minnows, and the the trout were sipping light, arcing upward from deeper water.
Both sitting down on the dock to wait for fish sign, and change up were important - I caught several on the fly rod. Only slow retrieves without counting down would catch fish.

Jerry's right across Marshall Huts Rd. from us had his shrimp flag out all weekend, with great tiny 1"-2" shrimp - you get a bunch in a pint - and the most productive tackle for the weekend was a 3" cigar cork, 4' 8-lb fluoro leader and size 1/0 croaker hook, fished on our XUL rockfish rods.
The long XUL rods are the only way to cast this weightless rig to the edge of the light.
Early morning on the Arroyo.

one of our early-am stringers in the fillet queue

Susie cooked feasts for us - fried fresh spec fillets one night, fried chicken another (she wanted to show it off). Saturday she made a perfect lemon-meringue pie from scratch using Meyer lemons brought from their tree at home.

While Susie was doing her great cooking, Lou and I would throw out head-peeled dead shrimp from the bait bucket or rib pieces from our fillets on the bottom - hoping for something better, we caught the inevitable hard-heads, though we had a good system for handling them using a hook grabber on their spines, and a pair of pliers on the hook.
I also caught a respectably large sting ray, and Lou and I looked fairly pro handling the thing with his barbs flared using the net and a long hook extractor to recover my titanium leader.
It was very pleasant being a dock lizard in the sun.

Our same dock heron fished with us day and night.

Like I said, it was cold in the wee hours Sat and Sun. Lou didn't get up at all Saturday morning - he did join me for a few fish Sunday morning, but said the warm bed was too inviting.
I caught two 17" specs as soon as he left, the first one on the fly rod, and wasn't far behind hitting the rack.

From the weather forecast, I knew Sunday night was going to be the best, with lows in the 60s. There was a beating wind all day, but it was calm again and we lost our stealth cover for Sunday night.
It didn't matter, we had our best night there - Lou and I both finished our Sunday limits, and Susie caught 5 fish.
Here's the stringer.

Lou and Susie holding the stringer

and my trip-fish, 19 inches - a Real Hoot on the XUL rockfish rod.
It filled my Sunday limit, and was a great way to end the trip, other than talking Susie through filling her limit.
didn't really need the shell layer Sunday night, but it was my filleting bib for the whole weekend - and yes, it needs washing.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 06 Feb 2020, 08:04, edited 4 times in total.

Post 04 Feb 2020, 00:27 • #2 
Master Guide
What a great weekend getaway...thanks for sharing...allot of great fish for casting from one place...

Sandman

Post 04 Feb 2020, 07:17 • #3 
Piscator
Lou and I were discussing just that. This place is really remote, but we can't imagine any other place where so many fish come to you, so consistently.

ps - Jerry's, actually Abuelita's, tamales are also epic, delivered hot with hot garden salsa, and fed us one great lunch.

Post 04 Feb 2020, 08:02 • #4 
Master Guide
Looks like a great trip!!!

What do they taste like (in terms of fresh water fish) as i have never caught or tasted those?

Thanks for sharing!

Post 04 Feb 2020, 08:17 • #5 
Piscator
spec fillets are the best the coast has to offer, 2nd only to flounder.
Fresh water, they compare to bass, and nicer texture and flavor than white bass.

Post 04 Feb 2020, 08:26 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Excellent!

Post 04 Feb 2020, 08:28 • #7 
Master Guide
Thanks for the taste reference!!! Some day.........

Post 07 Feb 2020, 07:17 • #8 
Piscator
we talked about this stubby fishing partner on corpusfishing -
- a biologist there correctly identified it for us as a black-crowned night heron (on the right).
Note that even though he has short legs and no apparent neck, his body mass is as big as the great blue heron that lived on our dock

We had great birds, a pair of owls every night, hawks and chachalacas (Mexican flag eagle) all day, sandhill crane, terns and shearwaters.
A flock of turkeys hiked through the yard in the middle of the day.

When Susie took a break on the dock during the day, said she wished we had binoculars to look at the birds.
Duh, I took great lightweight 8x32 glasses out of my fishing gear sailcloth bag when I was packing.
Next time, will remember those along with the Peterson's guide.

Post 10 Feb 2020, 11:07 • #9 
Master Guide
Wow! What a fantastic trip and some of the best tasting fish ever.

Post 10 Feb 2020, 12:38 • #10 
Piscator
thanks - yeah, the house and I were part of Lou's Christmas present from Susie, though I volunteered one night rent.

10,000 years ago, Arroyo Colorado was the main channel of the Rio Grande. The main channel moved south, and now Arroyo is part of the delta running from Mission City.
They dredged a barge channel from the ICW to Port of Harlingen.
The house is located right across from where the natural arroyo and barge channel diverge to opposite ends of Peyton Bay.
In the distance is Lower Laguna Madre.
Adult female specs spread out to stake a breeding turf. The males school together and chase bait, and usually travel 25 mi/day to find enough food. The arroyo lights at night attract schoolie specs that travel from Port Mansfield to South Padre.
It's a great winter destination both because of the great fishing and sub-tropical sun.
Port Mansfield and S. Padre are both easy day trips from here, and we've taken our kayaks for Nov day trips before.
But it's easy enough to stay put and enjoy the night dock fishing. This is also the best place in Texas to catch snook.
The uncultivated land you see is Laguna Atascosa NWR, with a population of 35 ocelots.

Post 10 Feb 2020, 18:33 • #11 
Bulldog, thanks for the post.
I was on South Padre last year with a buddy who goes there regularly.
The weather was not great and we didn't catch that much.
But it was cool and it's great to learn more about the area.

Post 10 Feb 2020, 19:01 • #12 
Piscator
the SP jetty fishing is famous - mackerel, jacks and tarpon come right in, especially in the fall.
On the bay side, there's great wading right out from the Convention Center - also a great place to launch kayaks, paddling south to drift The Pasture on the prevailing wind, or up the island on the grassline when fronts come through.
This photo from 3 years ago with Lou and Steve, launching at the Convention Center.
You don't normally get tides this low in the fall - that's the grassline you can see.
and here's the grass in LLM

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 11 Feb 2020, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Feb 2020, 05:44 • #13 
Piscator
South Padre has a great Brew Pub by the same name, also with excellent food, entrees, sandwiches, and rightfully famous pizza (it's always in the quality of the bread).

I was remiss in my OP, overlooking our dock-lizard sampling of a chewy Belgian-style blonde ale, Khryseis from Lorelei Brewing in Corpus.
They also offer Merdude coffee imperial stout with thoroughly unappetizing graphics, and the excellent Ephyra mango IPA, which is a total clone of Sculpin Aloha.
Image Image Image

Post 11 Feb 2020, 15:33 • #14 
Guide
I'm impressed. More trout than I catch in 2 years. thks for posting

Post 12 Feb 2020, 06:29 • #15 
Piscator
klingon1539 wrote:
I'm impressed. More trout than I catch in 2 years. thks for posting
Thanks, we did even better here in November - it was warmer, the specs were schooling shallower and feeding in competition.
Then we were releasing everything less than 17" (unless injured), so that our daily 5 could be larger fish, and every limit had a trout over 20" - the baitfish were larger, and we were taking trout on all types of lures, also a few reds off the dock, big ladyfish, croaker.
I landed two doubles, one on the XUL with a 17" and 19" trout. Three years ago, got a double with a slot snook.
The November thread is still just down the page - celebrating my dad's 90th birthday.

Something else, The light touch of our salt XUL tackle made all the difference on our results this trip. Guides with their fares in the lodge across the Arroyo weren't catching fish at our rate, and queried us every time they shuttled back to the house next-door. If it interests you, you can find UL rockfish rods on ebay, Major Craft is the cost-effective Japan brand, NS Black Hole is the top Korean brand, A good Japan website is Plat Tackle - https://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/def ... -game.html

We've also had several trips in past years here with power boat and kayaks, where night dock fishing wasn't the priority, and had good days on LLM, as well - a few snook along the way.
Even the same dock heron was there two years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64332
Slot redfish.

Post 12 Feb 2020, 06:31 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Great stuff, Ron!

Post 12 Feb 2020, 07:03 • #17 
Piscator
thanks Mark - if you and Donna (and friends) consider another early spring trip this way, rather than NPI, I recommend considering the Spencer Bell house in Arroyo City.
https://www.vrbo.com/499621?_branch_mat ... 8256099185
It sleeps a crowd. You won't have the beach (except for SP day trips).
While it's farther and Very Remote compared to NPI, day-trips to S. Padre are half the distance you drove to meet me at Estes.
You could hire Eric Glass for a SP fly fishing guide. And of course Arroyo City has plenty of guides for LLM (Dos Rios next door).
And there's the good eats right off the dock...

Post 12 Feb 2020, 21:28 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Ron here is a better shot of black crowned night heron that I took on Cape Cod

Neat birds

Looks like a great weekend of fishing...

Post 13 Feb 2020, 06:20 • #19 
Piscator
great photo - thanks Jeff.
Our XUL tackle was so important this weekend, and I've had so much fun with it over a decade now for this exact use, I just added a new slightly longer (longest available) UL rockfish rod (a Black Hole model from Korea), and especially matched it with the ultimate UL spinning reel - a '19 Shimano Vanquish C2000S that I found 20% below list in Japan - they also threw in free EMS shipping, which is another $25. I've been floored petting the reel - it has no inertia, and that with labyrinth seals. It's the Stella remade with magnesium spool and frame (v. Stella's titanium and Stradic's aluminum), and lighter engineered-alloy wear parts.

Post 18 Feb 2020, 08:43 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
What a great time thanks for posting........Aurelio

Post 18 Feb 2020, 18:42 • #21 
Piscator
thanks Aurelio.
Since I mentioned it above, here's the wonder-reel and 8' UL salt rod.
Image Image

6-lb braid and 10-lb copolymer shock tippet

1/64th-3/16th oz

Post 08 Mar 2020, 09:15 • #22 
Guide
Cant believe I hadn't seen this. Totally jealous, looked like an epic trip.

Post 09 Mar 2020, 08:16 • #23 
Piscator
thanks friend, it's worth the long drive in winter (Nov to Mar).
There are all levels of places to stay there, from dumps with great fishing docks, which boys don't mind fishing from and you wouldn't take women

to luxury, where women want you to take them again - we happened to be in one of the nicest places there, but we did stay in the boy's fishing shack above 3 years ago.
The rents are also exceptionally good for any place on the TX coast - the cost of this 4BR-10-bed will only get you a 2BR at Palm Harbor or NPI.

We caught even more and larger specs in November, and caught snook from both docks 2 and 3 years ago.
I've been eating some fine fish tacos twice/week or so.

We have a kayak trip to Estes in 2 weeks, and Yakety-Yak (Blake) from TKF is going to join us, reconnoitering for a PACK group outing two weeks after that.

Post 09 Mar 2020, 09:21 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Sweet!

New Topic Add Reply