It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:09

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Jan 2020, 14:25 • #1 
Hi could you tell me anything about this rod, it only has an S under the Fenwick name no serial number it does have a really nice hook thing ( I forget the name of it ).

Paul Paulk

Re: Fenwick-Woodstream
Post 09 Jan 2020, 21:36 • #2 
Administrator
Hi Paul, Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

Several Fenwick rods have been mentioned in this thread. Which one(s) do you have? If you can post photos of the rod labels, that will help greatly.

Tom

Re: Fenwick-Woodstream
Post 09 Jan 2020, 22:53 • #3 
Only has an S no numbers or name, from my understanding it was made in 78-79, I don't believe it's a lunker, but still a nice action rod.
I tried the first time it's being a pain to load the pics.

Post 10 Jan 2020, 07:26 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome. The pics will help somebody i.d. this one in more detail. A lot to learn about Fenwick-Woodstream where you originally posted in the fly-rod thread mentioned in jgestar's welcome. When you posted pictures showing this to be a heavy duty spinning rod, I moved your query to the forum where it may get more attention from members who know the Fenwick spinning rods best.

Post 10 Jan 2020, 08:22 • #5 
Piscator
thanks for posting this. I bought a new Lunkerstick bass rod at the same time.
Great rods, and for awhile, Japanese were paying top-dollar for the bass rods.
I'm surprised from that time it doesn't have line and lure ratings, but the rod shows use, and they could have worn off.
Unless I missed it, we didn't get the length, but it looks like a very nice usable bass-spinning or inshore-spinning rod.

Post 10 Jan 2020, 09:34 • #6 
Yes even for the age it's in decent shape it still has some gloss to it, it does say made in the USA on the Fenwick woodstream sticker logo has an S below that I was surprised it didn't have any numbers on it I believe it is a 7-foot rod it has some decent action to it I haven't used it yet I bought it at a pawn shop I'm more of a Garcia Mitchell fan because growing up my dad had a Garcia Mitchell 302 and a couple 300's and I've merged into penn because I do a lot of saltwater fishing, they are made in the USA until now and I haven't done as much fresh water in the last 5 years due to laziness and working but I've recently restored an old school aluminum boat and I'm trying to get back into it I've been a couple times so far since I finished the boat.

Post 10 Jan 2020, 11:06 • #7 
Piscator
to give us context, we would know more about you if the location you listed in your profile didn't cover 50 states.
A Penn 714 or 712 would make a great combo with that rod.

Post 10 Jan 2020, 12:51 • #8 
Yes I agree that's a sweet reel. I'm east coast of Florida near St. Augustine. I actually have the rod on eBay up for auction, really wasn't for sure about selling slow on work (construction) and Christmas killed my credit cards, I have a penn 714 on major rod never heard of the brand a little heavy for reel but it cast good and feels good, not as nice as the pic you posted but a good set up, I wouldn't mind one the size bigger I have a pretty decent Garcia Mitchell 330 would be good as well not on a rod. Through looking on eBay I'm very tempted to buy more set ups but I have to many now just sitting let someone else enjoy it.

Post 10 Jan 2020, 13:04 • #9 
Piscator
that's interesting - I know of a Japanese rod company Major Craft with really nice salt-XUL rockfish rods listed on ebay.
Here's everything TackleDirect currently imports from Major Craft
https://www.tackledirect.com/search.htm ... ajor+craft
the slow pitch jigs are also nice

and yes, can tell you're not short on tackle and probably can find more locally.

Post 10 Jan 2020, 13:19 • #10 
Cool thanks I'll check it out, yes it started in my teens me and my dad would go to yard sales when we weren't fishing and that's only half of the collection but half of that is his. Some of them are in rough shape up to the middle range good fishing combos and some that have never been used.

New Topic Add Reply