It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:30

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Tica Libra reels
Post 08 Feb 2021, 14:17 • #126 
Piscator
I wouldn't ask a Shimano Sienna to do this for 12 years
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Post 08 Feb 2021, 15:48 • #127 
Guide
I agree 100% on not asking the Sienna to do that for 12 years! The Cetus does seem to be built like a small tank. Can I ask if you switched/upgraded the bearings on the Cetus 500? Maybe it's just an issue with the one I received. It's a nice little reel but just doesn't feel right to me. And given that I will be fishing it in freezing temps on the ice, I can't imagine the reel getting any better unless I change the bearings/grease/ etc.

Post 08 Feb 2021, 17:24 • #128 
Piscator
I haven't done anything internal to my Ticas, except a 5-y salt Libra SX3000 I'm planning to rebuild with new IAR clutch and CRBB.
(OK, I replaced a worm-drive bushing with a bearing on Libra SL)
The Cetus was my first reel after long-term Penn 4200SS (+4400SS), and it was shocking smooth and tough compared to that. So my reference point, especially in the size, was Alcedo Micron, and Cetus blows older reels out of the water.

The only weak point on Cetus for me is the hex shaft v. handle threading into main gear. Tom mentioned the stiff bail spring, but I'm 100% manual bail, and like a stiff bail spring so it won't snap on the 4-lb test during a cast. If you check recent Shimano, even with auto-bail-closure, the spring is so stiff, they won't close on auto-bail - you just turn the crank until you hit a brick wall.

If you look inside a Daiwa, their gears look like Tica's, and not without accident (except Tica gears are phosphor-bronze).
If you look inside Shimano, the fine-toothed gears look more like a watch.
Nobody does smooth like Shimano, but they didn't get to my tough-level until the big gears in '18 Stella, and every reel that has copied Stella since.

You also haven't described a specific gripe about the Cetus, so could only guess your complaint at this point.
I just finished customizing Paul's Samira Extreme 2000H, and I had previously customized one for me that I picked up at loss-leader Amazon half-price.
I noticed Paul's has more intertia in the worm gear than mine does.
Also noticed my low-grade SL worm drive moved like a tank until I lined the reel, and certainly there were tight bushings that needed to be loosened by wearing-in.
Also typical of Tica, I got perfect line lay on my new Cetus, even with 160 yds.

and at least part of the reason we ended up with a thread titled Libra, what they do with improved locomotive drive, aluminum frame and long-stroke spool comes together just right on the Libra SX.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 11 Feb 2021, 06:10, edited 2 times in total.

Post 08 Feb 2021, 18:08 • #129 
Guide
The issue with my Cetus SE500 is strictly about the perceived reel crank smoothness that I can only equate to effort required to crank. Yes the crank issue might very well change once lining the reel or wearing in over time. Funny you mention bail spring as in fact the bail spring on my Cetus is exceptionally pleasant and even though I also manually close the bail, this auto-bail closes very precisely with expected effort, feels solid with no vibration or excessive noise etc. Just not sure I will keep it at this point as there are other alternatives at the price point and I don't want to start taking a new reel apart to identify the issue. However, this likely won't be my last Tica as I am also looking for a 3000-4000 sized spinning reel and a 9 1/2 foot rod for float fishing steelhead on coastal rivers in British Columbia.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 New Topic Add Reply