It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:46

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Tica Libra reels
Post 29 May 2020, 17:30 • #76 
Emeritus
Hi Ron,
Any thoughts on ceramic bearings for these reels?
Do you have a prefered brand? I'm getting information overload just shopping for bearings.
Thanks

Post 29 May 2020, 18:10 • #77 
Piscator
I haven't found great deals on ceramic bearings here, and the ABEC-7 orange-seal (non-contact seal) run about $20/ and seen them as high as $35.
They're still hybrid with stainless races and ceramic balls (v. full-ceramic zirconia bearing races).
The whole idea with sealed bearings is you accept the manufacturer's lube, and replace the bearings when you expect the lube is shot.
Hybrid ceramic do last longer because they can run with minimal lube.

Boca is a good vendor, mostly because it's all they do, they're great matching your application and sending your parts right out.
They're also not the cheapest.

Most of the Japanese aftermarket bearings, hybrid ceramic or otherwise, aren't sealed.
If you decidet to go with unsealed hybrid ceramic, can probably find good buys,
A very good lube taking this approach is McLube One-Drop - it really doesn't take much.

I run loose-ball ceramic balls in my fast Campy bicycle hubs and love them (also get more life out of the grease using Hot Sauce).

I would say if you can find a bearing kit for your reel at your price, grab it, but buying high-grade bearings piecemeal probably isn't cost-effective.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 30 May 2020, 00:11, edited 2 times in total.

Post 29 May 2020, 20:24 • #78 
Administrator
Educate me here. I always think of ceramic hybrids and ABEC 7 bearings for high-speed (bass casting spool bearings) or high precision load bearing (precision machine tool) service. A spinning reel is neither. Wouldn't well lubricated standard ball bearings work fine?

Tom

Post 29 May 2020, 21:17 • #79 
Piscator
Absolutely should work fine for a finite life, but you do reduce weight a bit and get longer life with ceramic bearings.
Ditto on the finer tolerance bearings - they just last longer because they have fewer asperities on the contact surfaces.
The high-loads thing can count in spinning reals - I've mentioned before brinnelling gears in my old Mitchell (Spanish macks) and coning rotor/spindle bushings in my Penn, (king mackerel - where BB would have stood up better) - and newer-design reels with outrageous drag capacities and longer spindles push the designs and contact loads farther and farther.

I'm floored by the bearings Livre puts in their handles - that's the photo I borrowed above - their handle knobs spin like bicycle wheels (and with zero end-play).

The other factor is the improved subtle feel through the reel that reducing free-play and inertia delivers.
Can always use my Vanquish as the world's benchmark here, which it is, though all the reel makers are heading in this direction (except for the fully sealed surf reels).
But since this is the Libra thread, and the smoothness and reliability of this simple reel design is how we got here - In the SX1500, its inertia is low enough, you can feel the inertia difference when engaging the roller bearing anti-reverse. While higher-grade bearings wouldn't improve that, they might make that feel last longer.

But to Paul's point about his Penn - I don't see an advantage from ABEC-7 orange seal hybrid ceramic bearings - he needs to replace his shot bearings with new in kind. They could be stiff simply because the grease inside them has turned to wax.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 29 May 2020, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 May 2020, 22:08 • #80 
Emeritus
Thanks for all the info.
I bought 3 sets of 2 from these guys
http://www.rcbearings.com/products/penn ... -reel.html

I might change out the bearings in my 4400ss also

Post 02 Jun 2020, 11:30 • #81 
Guide
Still waiting for my Libra SX1500, but it looks like it finally shipping now. Not sure what the delay was through Amazon.ca. Still a delay on the kokanee rod though. At least I don't have to pay shipping costs through the Prime membership.
On another note (and not to sidetrack the Libra discussion) but does Tica make any round baitcasting reels large enough for bank fishing lake sturgeon in rivers? I'm looking at a 250-300 yd line capacity with 50Lb Tuff line or Power Pro and a retrieve of around 5.0:1 and probably a max drag of around 25Lbs (maybe less?). Need to pair with a casting rod able to cast 2-6oz rig weight and 50LB line weight.
The LE 200 Striper Bait Casting Reel looks interesting.

I was also thinking maybe the Libra SX6000 would work for spinning for sturgeon. Thoughts?

Post 02 Jun 2020, 14:56 • #82 
Piscator
Caiman GJ is Tica's best round baitcaster, and they make it in the 200 size.
Tica lists max drag as 6.6 lbs.
I have a 150, and can recommend against the Striper - the handle is solid stainless steel and weighs a reel - I bought the thing for my Caiman.

But then I got smart, bought an inexpensive Gomexus carbon handle, weightless hande and really stiff - Shimano-A/Daiwa-S 4-mm knob spindle, which is also good, because I can replace the porkish Gomexus pot-metal knob.
(There was also an intermediate Basszone very lightweight power handle I didn't like the carbon flex, and gave to my buddy for his round Abu)

replaced the 40-g Gomexus pot-metal knob with 14-g Livre EP37 titanium.

No torsion whatsoever from the lightweight handle when you're working the lightweight rig.
Have it matched with a Jigging World spiral-wrap trigger jigging rod, 15-40-lb test, 1-4-oz
Also had to modify the cost-effective rod with a gimbal butt addition
I have 300 yds 20-lb braid + 100-yds 20-lb working Blue Label.
Even with 50-lb braid, you don't need more than 12-lbs drag, and my 5-lbs drag set is bucketloads.

My Seigler SGN lever-drag on conventional E-glass rod has 400+ yds 30-lb braid plus 25 yds 30-lb Blue Label, and 7-lbs drag set is astronomical.

Even Lew's doesn't list max drag on their top round baitcaster - I doubt if you can get more drag in a conventional round baitcaster.
Might want to look at the little Seigler, 35-lbs max drag, Avet, or cost-effective Tsunami, Okuma or Gomexus narrow spool lever drag.
(Tica levers, w 20-lbs drag spec, doesn't offer a small narrow spool).
It's not tough to cast a lever drag - you set casting brake with the lever.
NLW, but the Seigler spool design always lays wind in one direction, so you only have to thumb-guide in the reverse lay

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 03 Jun 2020, 17:42, edited 2 times in total.

Post 03 Jun 2020, 09:04 • #83 
Guide
Thanks Ron, I suspect most round baitcasters will have max drag at around 10-15lbs. That might be ok for lake sturgeon given most range up around 30lbs in the river near me. However, guys have reeled in fish in the 70-80lb range too. Just with bank fishing, I would like some stopping power as I won't be running up or downstream to chase them. I did run across a Kastking Rover and thought a 60 (at 13.2Lb max drag) or 70 (at 15Lb max drag) might do quite well for what I'm after. The Rover 70 would have plenty of line capacity. Otherwise some other round baitcaster geared towards cat fish should work. Something like the Abu C3 Catfish model.

I have to say Ron, the Seigler looks seriously over engineered with the CNC parts.

Again, perhaps the Tica Libra 6000 would offer the line capacity and sufficient drag for sturgeon.

Post 04 Jun 2020, 08:02 • #84 
Piscator
btw, Tica does make 35-lb drag jigging reels.
The Titan Claw might interest you the most at $160, low-profile level wind with big line capacity. (Tackle Direct has stock, and both LHW and RHW)
The bigger narrow spool NLW, star-drag Victor is $300.

Post 04 Jun 2020, 09:36 • #85 
Guide
Thanks Ron, I think I found someone locally with several lightly used Abu Garcia 7000c reels he wants to get rid of. I believe those have a 20Lb drag and will take 300yds+ of 50Lb braid. So that might be ideal for lake sturgeon around me. I also plan to buy a Tica Libra SX6000 when(if) they come back in stock. According to info from Tica, it has a 10kg drag which would be great. Now I just need to figure out what rod to pair with it.
Ron

Post 04 Jun 2020, 12:47 • #86 
Piscator
should do the trick.
The Jigging World Nexus casting rods are priced good, light in hand, as strong as you'd ever want, spiral wrap, which keeps the braid away from the bent blank, and available with trigger.

Post 10 Jun 2020, 17:07 • #87 
Emeritus
Hey Ron,
I replaced the bearings on the 4300ss and it's better but I still have a problem. I think the pinion is grinding on the spool shaft.
If I put my ear up to it, sounds like a coffee grinder. What can I do about that? New pinion?
Thanks

Post 10 Jun 2020, 18:53 • #88 
Piscator
Don't know what to say from here, Paul - I would definitely take the cover off and see how everything turns, check the oscillation limits and the anti-reverse dog - you might be able to hear better that way, also.

Post 11 Jun 2020, 16:03 • #89 
Guide
Wow I ordered the Libra SX1500 in mid-May through Amazon (Canada) and I just got word it is being shipped. I believe this is from TICA USA through the Amazon Network (Amazon USA to Amazon Canada then to customer). I guess I shouldn't complain with free shipping and all, but it makes me wonder about the general availability of Tica products.

Last edited by Eastslope on 12 Jun 2020, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post 12 Jun 2020, 08:03 • #90 
Piscator
Like Daiwa, Tica makes too many reel models, and their main market is South America and the Mediterranean shores, the Balkans, plus UK, and everbody wants worm drive reels.
IMO, the Libra SX and it's big brother offshore Cybernetic are their best efforts.
TackleDirect carrying the Libra SX should help to keep it around.
It's noteworthy Tica reached this spool stroke on their "IOS" simple but improved locomotive drive before Shimano reached it on Stella with worm drive.

Post 12 Jun 2020, 12:13 • #91 
Guide
great info as usual Ron - thanks! Sounds like the Cybernetic-GGAT would be a good alternative to a Libra 5000 or 6000 reel. From the Tica International main site, it appears there the Cybernetic starts at 5000 and goes to 10000. Wonder if all the sizes are sold in North America?

Post 13 Jun 2020, 06:56 • #92 
Piscator
Ron, at 33 oz, the Cybernetic is a step up from the big Libra SX 6000 (21 oz).
Best guess, the Cybernetic 5000 is a shallow spool for casting and jigging braid, and the 10,000 is a max-capacity spool for trolling.
Note that SX 3000 - 4500 are all the same 12-oz reel, just with different spool depths.

Sharing again my SX3000 orange-pimp with Daiwa DCP handles - twins, one with matching Daiwa knob, but the 2nd photo is good for showing the big spool stroke - these reels really cast great.

The handles came from Auckland, NZ, and their dollar is 0.6 US$
https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/fishing- ... reel-parts
however, in order to use these handles, still need the IOS-Fatory hex shaft
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/4133

adding this for comparison (l ro r)
65 mm SX3000 handle with (stock) 26 mm EVA knob;
55 mm Daiwa DCP handle with IOS hex shaft and 24 mm Daiwa small cork knob;
50 mm SX1500 handle with 20 mm EVA knob

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 16 Jun 2020, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post 15 Jun 2020, 09:24 • #93 
Guide
I think the price point on the Cybernetic is a step higher than the Libra too. I would like to stick withe the Libra based on price but the poor availability of the Libra leads me to believe they might be phased out. Thought?

Post 15 Jun 2020, 12:08 • #94 
Piscator
You see on the previous pages I found the worm-drive Libra SL, which has found a market in Europe and SA, where you don't see the Libra SX listed very often.
I think as long as Tica America orders them, we'll see Libra SX around.

Post 18 Jun 2020, 21:27 • #95 
Emeritus
Hi Ron,
Is the knob removable on these Tica Libra reels?
Thanks

Post 18 Jun 2020, 21:52 • #96 
Piscator
I believe not - looks like they have a screw cap, tried honking on with a quarter to no avail.
Most likely riveted and the cap glued in.

e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g5iQNziVV4

Post 18 Jun 2020, 23:59 • #97 
Emeritus
The cap is alluring and looks like it will come off with a quarter. I also cranked on mine for a while.
Thanks

Post 22 Jun 2020, 18:00 • #98 
Guide
I just received the Libra SX1500 in the mail today from Amazon. Seems reel nice!! :lol
Now I just have to wait for the Tica KLEA 7'6" UL glass rod to pair with it. In the meantime, I see that you have used 10lb braid with a short fluoro leader on your SX1500 Ron. Is that setup mainly for casting?
I'm really gearing my setup as a trout/kokanee salmon rig. Also, I may have to get another spool for the SX1500. Would TD be the best place to order spare spools or TICA USA?

Ron

Post 22 Jun 2020, 18:06 • #99 
Emeritus
I contacted Tica about 3 weeks ago. They were out of libra sx1500 spools but said they had another spool that would fit for $18

Post 22 Jun 2020, 20:17 • #100 
Piscator
Eastslope wrote:
I just received the Libra SX1500 in the mail today from Amazon. Seems reel nice!! :lol
Now I just have to wait for the Tica KLEA 7'6" UL glass rod to pair with it. In the meantime, I see that you have used 10lb braid with a short fluoro leader on your SX1500 Ron. Is that setup mainly for casting?
I'm really gearing my setup as a trout/kokanee salmon rig. Also, I may have to get another spool for the SX1500. Would TD be the best place to order spare spools or TICA USA?

Ron

One SX1500 spool has 10-lb braid. I tie with an improved-Allbright knot about a foot 12# Blue Label fluoro.
The second spool has 6-lb braid, Sufix 832 with 10-lb copolymer shock tippet.
For the way I want to fish this in the salt, a 1" surgeon's loop will loop-to-loop all the hardware I want to use, either a 6" Mako titanium bite trace for lures, or a clicking cigar cork.

The main reason for the shock tippet is big fish - shock tippet adds toughness and resilience. It's also my preferred way of dealing with terminal ends. This is all salt fishing for me.

You can get about 100 yards of 6-lb copolymer on the SX1500 spool - that line diameter and spool capacity is equivalent to 20-lb braid.
Yes, the thread-like diameter of 6- or 10-lb braid improves cast distance, but it also gives you running room if you get a great fish that should out-class your tackle.

What I did with the 10-lb braid was spool up one spool, then fill backing halfway on the spare spool, and topped it with 6-lb copolymer, in the photo below, left
That plan was fish the 10-lb braid on ML inshore rod, and the copolymer on long XUL.
Since I added the SL2500, it gets the ML rod slots.
I went back to the "hybrid" spool, stripped the 50-yds or so copolymer (originally came from my bulk spool) and replaced it with a leftover piece of the 6-lb Sufix 832 braid - yes, again, the goal is to increase cast distance on the XUL.

Something else I noticed when tying uni-splice between 10-lb Kastking braid and 6-lb Sufix 832:
The coated Sufix is slightly thicker, but in every way better.
Another advantage of braid, beside thread-size gauge, it's totally limp and without memory.
There's 200 yds on this little spool - more laud for Tica line management.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 23 Jun 2020, 10:08, edited 5 times in total.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply