It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:31

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Dec 2019, 17:04 • #1 
Sport
As a dedicated fly fisherman for most of my life, I decided it's time I try something new. I have fond memories of spin fishing for trout and panfish as a young lad, but I haven't touched a spinning outfit since around 1993, when I was twelve. Never had anything against it, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Anyway, I happened upon a Browning Silaflex 332904 while attending a tackle show in Mountain Home, Arkansas. This is a 4'6" one piece spinning rod. There are no line or lure ratings listed on the rod, but based on size and feel, I'd say it is about as UL as vintage glass gets, maybe 1-4 pound test. Being familiar with the Browning Silaflex fly rods from the same era (early 1970s), and because the seller was only asking $30 for the rod, with no sock but original tube, and in great condition, I decided I had to have it. It seems like a special little rod, so it got me thinking that I should look for a reel to pair with it, and give it a try. Based on discussion from this forum, I chose a Daiwa 700c, which was only about $25 in great shape. I lined it with Berkley Fireline. So, I think I've got what I need, but I wanted to check with the forum in case there is a better suggestion for the ideal reel or line. I'm a little concerned that the Fireline might be bad for the rod guides (it's not braided, but it seems abrasive), and also that a newbie like myself shouldn't dive right in to UL fishing, and maybe start first with a light or medium light setup. Looking forward to any suggestions. Here are a couple of pics (hopefully they show up ok):

Post 23 Dec 2019, 19:34 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
nice little outfit, and that Daiwa looks pristine.. welcome !

the trick with UL these days, is the braids make it much simpler than it used to be.. handling bass etc on 4lb mono was a challenge, using 10lb braid with the same diameter as that mono, gives a lot bigger margin of error.. so UL is fun for all ;-)

the reel looks to have a roller line guide, which is good. Check that it actually rotates, otherwise the braid will most likely cut it quickly.
I have an 1973 Mitchell 308 bought new, which I retro-fitted with a newer bail arm and a roller. The roller has held up well to braid over the last decade with no signs of wear yet.
The braid is definitely harder on guides than mono but so far I haven't worn anything out.

my preferred braid in the lighter lines is Spiderwire or Sufix, but the Berkley should be fine. It's still a braid but what they call a 'fused' braid.. these lines are very confusing.
A line I tried recently in Australia in the heavier weights is Gliss. It's not a true braid but similarly thin and strong, seemed to handle better than any braid I've tried. I'll try it once the water in CO thaws out..

Braids are very particular about knots, most mono knots will slip. I tend to use the Palomar. Come to think of it I don't recall a single failure with this knot in braid, which is remarkable.

my experience with Daiwas of that era, is that they would wear out..
The vintage UL reels I like are:
Mitchell 308, but make sure it's one of the newer ones with a roller line guide. I wore out the old fixed tungsten line guide just fishing mono, over twenty some years.
The Orvis 50A though these tend to the pricey, $60 and up for one in fair condition.
Shakespeare 2052 preferably one of the earlier ones with an EE or EC designation. The D series has a plastic main shaft bushing which tends to crack. It's repairable but a bit of a bore to fix.

Post 23 Dec 2019, 20:19 • #3 
Piscator
that's a great outfit - they didn't rate rods for line and lures back then, they began doing that sporadically in the late 70s, and became a practice on graphite rods.
That's a high-grade Silaflex, and probably dates very close to 1970.

I like fishing copolymer on UL - my favorite comes from Australia, Kamikaze, but Kast King makes a very good one you can buy on Amazon.
And of course YoZuri
I caught a speckled trout double on my salt XUL with 4-lb copolymer in November, 17" and 19"

YoZuri is a great choice on braid - it's not as thin as most braids, but its also coated which helps resist twisting.
I personally wouldn't over-line a rod to catch bigger fish. Smarter to stick to 4-lb, and use a spring scale to set your drag at 1 lb - most people set their drags way below what the line can take.
You don't do this through the rod bend, but with the rod flat and line straight - right in front of the reel works great - two people can do a better job, one pulling the line on the scale and reading it while the other holds the rod and tightens the drag.
Watch ebay, you can find some nice ones that are extremely accurate - I have an 8-lb Salter spring balance from the UK and paid peanuts.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 23 Dec 2019, 21:08, edited 4 times in total.

Post 23 Dec 2019, 20:37 • #4 
Master Guide
I second the copolymer recommendation and would not use braided line on vintage equipment because they will usually not tolerate the abrasion. Especially the reel’s line roller.

Post 23 Dec 2019, 21:17 • #5 
Sport
Thank you gentlemen for the information and advice. I did a quick check to make sure the Daiwa 700c has a roller, and indeed it does! The weather here will permit a trip to Northeast Iowa tomorrow, so I'll have a chance to test the outfit on some nice brown trout. I will likely try a couple other lines and reels at some point too, so I'm grateful for the advice. Happy holidays!

Post 23 Dec 2019, 21:28 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
And the guides can get grooved too from braid.I Had a whole set of 3 of those browning silaflex uls.New in the tubes with all paperwork.I still regret selling them but got top dollar and a 322975 in the deal.I think they are way nicer than the garcia conolon uls.

Post 24 Dec 2019, 07:54 • #7 
Piscator
We didn't see a photo of the guides - does the rod have Aetna foul-proof guides? If so, the Monel wire guides are great for long-life with mono, but without ceramic guide inserts, braid is probably a mistake.

Post 24 Dec 2019, 09:40 • #8 
Sport
No, not foul proof. Just 3 standard stainless double foot guides plus tip top, with no inserts at all. I'll keep an eye out for grooving and change lines if I notice they are starting to wear. Thanks again for the info.!

Post 24 Dec 2019, 11:25 • #9 
Master Guide
PinkSquirrel wrote:
No, not foul proof. Just 3 standard stainless double foot guides plus tip top, with no inserts at all. I'll keep an eye out for grooving and change lines if I notice they are starting to wear. Thanks again for the info.!

If a groove starts (line roller, tip top or guide) it's too late because the line you start to use later on will orient to the groove just because its there. Really, I'd stick with mono on vintage rods & reels.

Post 24 Dec 2019, 14:10 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
as springer1 says - once the groove has started, it's too late. Then it's replacement time.

been thinking about the braid and guides.. currently using the Mitchell on a Fenwick SF70-4 with the Aetna foulproof guides. No signs of wear yet on these with the Spiderwire braid. An odd problem is the braid will get stuck between the wires of the first guide on a cast - I put a few wraps of tying thread around the guide to prevent this. So much for foulproof..
The Aetna guides on an Abu baitcasting rod, wore out in a couple of years using mono..
I don't much care for these guides. If they do wear out I'll replace with the new light ceramics.

For me the extra strength and abrasion resistance of the braid, is worth it over mono. The LM bass will weed themselves, the SM go digging into rocks..

Post 24 Dec 2019, 14:34 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Braid especially spiderwire,will cut thru weeds like a knife .But will also get cut by rocks and other hard objects.IHaving tried most of these products and 100s of hours fishing them i find nanonofil to be the best.It has a similar feel to mono.Very slick and does not seem to want to bury itself in the spool like the flatter braids do.I use an improved cinch not and 2 half hitches to lock the knot and have caught 100s of fish on the same line,Most have a segment of sample line attached to the packaging and you can see how small it really is,6lb is smaller than 2lb mono,Nanofil seems to hold its shape and stiffness more than braid which seems to get flat and fuzzy after extended use.I would compare it gel spun tying thread versus flat nylon in texture.

Post 24 Dec 2019, 16:16 • #12 
Sport
I'll have to try the Nanofil. I saw that line in the new Jann's Netcraft catalog, and thought it seemed like the best choice, but they didn't carry it at my local department store, so I compromised with what I thought was the next best thing. Anyway, I did get a chance to test my new set up today, with the 6lb Fireline. Started with the smallest size Panther Martin and caught a couple of small browns. The lure seemed a bit light and hard to cast, so I switched to a little heavier Mepps spinner and was able to cast much further and more accurately. I noticed some line twist with the Panther Martin, but I added a swivel to the Mepps and that solved the problem. I thought the rod and reel handled well and I had a lot of fun, although I definitely need some practice. I caught a few more browns with the Mepps spinner and called it a day.

Post 25 Dec 2019, 08:28 • #13 
Piscator
made the mistake once of trying Berkley's 10-lb copolymer.
My daughter was catching big sheepshead on the flat, and the line stretched so much it slid inside the spool wraps and locked the reel.
I've never seen another line extrude like that.
She was fishing Penn 4200SS, which is the closest thing they made to UL, on a 6'6" light Falcon inshore rod.
It was ok, we were fished out and had a meal of specs.
Needless to say, never used it again. Seaguar fluoro is my go to for 10-lb, and I save the better coplymers for lighter XUL tackle.
The point of copolymer is abrasion resistance with tougher, notch-resistant core, which also means stronger knots.
Especially for going after trout on UL, don't see a reason to use heavier line than you would use tippet on a fly rod.

New Topic Add Reply