It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:47

New Topic Add Reply
Fenwick lunkerstick
Post 18 Dec 2019, 20:08 • #1 
Sport
Anyone use a spinning or bait casting lunkerstick? I was thinking of ordering one, but wanted to see if anyone on here has any experience with them first.

For the record I've used a lot of spinning gear, but never tried bait casting, but am not opposed to picking up a rod and reel to try it out.

Re: Fenwick lunkerstick
Post 18 Dec 2019, 22:43 • #2 
Piscator
I fished a 6' Lunkerstik casting rod from college days until I sold it 20 years later. It outlasted the Daiwa Millionaire 6H I matched it with (but then I took the Daiwa reel to the surf with a longer Browning graphite rod - my first graphite rod).
The only glass casting rod I'd rate higher is Falcon, and a couple of these show up on ebay every year.
6' casting rods are assuming you're fishing from a boat.
If you're bank fishing to big water, probably want something longer.
I love steelhead casting rods for that, and I'd recommend Lami Classic glass (or Lami graphite).

As far as spinning, add 6" to it for boat fishing. I have a gang of vintage glass including Phillipson (particularly nice tapers), Venerable glass Garcia spinning rods are famous with good reason (my masthead photo). And back to Lami for steelhead-length spinning rods, especially their Medium-Light rods.

I just looked at the new Lunkerstik, the casting rods are all rated MH starting at 6'8". 3/8-oz is the min lure weight.
I personally like the ability to throw 1/4-oz on a baitcaster, and have a 7' ML casting rod that will throw 1/8-oz.
Their spinning rods are all MMF, and will give you that 1/4-oz capability.
So not knowing how you like to fish, if you want to throw 1/8 oz, look for ML rods.
The sale price is pretty good, though, and would grab one for a starter rod.

It's in a very different market niche, but I have a St. Croix Legend glass 7'2" MM (medium-moderate) that lives up to both its big name and price tag - S-glass, as light in hand as graphite, but with that sweet moderate taper (like a Lami steelhead rod).

Post 20 Dec 2019, 10:36 • #3 
Sport
Thank Bulldog -

I has actually found a good deal on a St. Croix Legend glass that I missed out on from the auction site, which lead me down the path of searching for another fiberglass rod and I eventually stumbled onto these Fenwick rods.

I appreciate the input and may pick up one of each (spinning and casting) to try out. I figure for the price, even if I don't like them, I won't be out much if I don't like them.

Post 03 Feb 2020, 14:33 • #4 
Master Guide
I acquired about 20 fiberglass spinning and bait casting blanks, (for a song), many years ago when everything was going graphite.. These rod blanks sat in a corner of my shop for well over a decade and then, after finding this website, I became interested in the old box of fiberglass blanks.

Included in the group was a factory finished, albeit sans handle, Fenwick Lunker Stik, PLC60, 6 ft., two piece, 9 1/8oz, for 1/2 - 3/4 oz. lures, and 6 to 15 lb. line. The rod appeared unused but the second guide had been crushed and, as mentioned, had no handle. I acquired the correct vintage replacement guide and correct color of vintage Gudebrod thread and replaced the damaged guide.

I never dreamed I would find a Fenwick replacement handle, but unbelievably found the correct vintage handle for this rod from Japan via the "auction" site. The handle is labeled Fenwick, Westminster, CA and was brand new. Maybe they were made in Japan back then, but all I cared was that if fit the tapered metal ferrule on the butt end of the rod. It's the middle rod in the photo.

I fish it with a vintage Lews BB1ng baitcaster and they pair nicely especially when floating a river in my old Grumman canoe. I use this rod for smallmouth and largemouth here in the Ozarks and take it to Canada for northern pike, as well. It performs well with the Lews, although I believe the rod is a little soft for the upper end of the line rating of 15 lb. test and I tend to stick with 10 or 12 lb mono.

New Topic Add Reply