It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:00

New Topic Add Reply
Reel issue
Post 05 Nov 2019, 02:19 • #1 
Spammer
Howdy guys,

I surfed internet and faced many negative recalls on Shimano's reels. Many people are unsatisfied with these products and i want to know what local people here think about these reels. Have you ever had troubles with Shimano and what kind of? Need your experience and feedback! I interested in this question, because i'm looking for a reel, because the old one is gone :lol

If not Shimano, which one do you recommend to buy? I need either inshore or offshore spinning reel. Photos are welcome!

Re: Reel issue
Post 06 Nov 2019, 18:53 • #2 
Sport
For many years, I have regularly used several different Shimano spinning reels from various price ranges. I have never had a problem with any of them. They are excellent reels and have performed flawlessly for me.

Coach

Post 06 Nov 2019, 22:52 • #3 
Spammer
Hi Coach11,
It means that i'm a lucky duck with you!:D
I found one comparative review about spinning reels, there are 3 shimano's ones. The first one is too expensive, i can't afford to buy this one.
Shimano Spheros 5000 SW or Shimano Stradic Ci4+? Which one is a better choice? The price is about the same...
And what does it mean: "Still very durable, but not as durable as the other Shimano products on this list"? It's a con of the first model... It sounds like "not reliable" :(

Post 07 Nov 2019, 06:37 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have a few Shimano spinning reels and like them.
You might want to take a look at the Fin-Nor Trophy and Mega Lite reels. Tica is another viable option.
These are all easy on the $.

Post 07 Nov 2019, 17:04 • #5 
Sport
I particularly like the Stradic reels. For a less expensive model, I also use the Sedona reels. I have had much success with both models.

Coach

Post 07 Nov 2019, 17:04 • #6 
Sport
I particularly like the Stradic reels. For a less expensive model, I also use the Sedona reels. I have had much success with both models.

Coach

Post 07 Nov 2019, 18:46 • #7 
Piscator
The content on this thread seems a little strange, and I'm wondering if we have an interactive beta bot - they've made a strong showing on other fishing forums.
But for those interested in the actual subject, if we limit to 3000 to 4000 size reels, Tica Libra SX is the best $100 reel you can buy.

The guys who take down the reels on youtube essentially agree Shimano sells 2 reels in the US, the 2019 Stradic FL, and the Stella.
The Stradic beats every $400 reel on the US market, and it's a $200 reel. The Stradic is also the baseline reel for guys who really need more than 3-4-lb drag.
(That's a lot if you've ever used a spring scale to set your drag.)
It's essentially the Stella remade with less expensive materials, such as composite flier instead of machined titanium, and wear treated aluminum shafts instead of stainless steel. That also makes it one-third lighter than the Stella. Most of the parts interchange between the two reels, including the spools to worm-gear drive, and they use the same overqualified roller-bearing clutch, both quite different from other Shimano reels. The other thing they've done on these reels is more and finer gear teeth in all the gearing, which = less freeplay = less wear.
(In the Japan market, the $600 Vanquish fits in between).

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 07 Nov 2019, 20:58, edited 2 times in total.

Post 07 Nov 2019, 18:57 • #8 
Master Guide
I dont spin fish often but when I did I had a 2000 and 4000 sized white stradic with the wood handles. I still have them both actually. Excellent reels that have landed tons of smallmouth bass, muskie, walleye, lake trout, brown trout, steelhead, and king and coho salmon. For me the stradic was always the top notch spinning reel for the great lakes.

Post 07 Nov 2019, 19:19 • #9 
Piscator
the drag issue is about lateral deflection in the spindle - you need zero spindle deflection with a high drag load.
If you've ever seen a spool with the line flared at the top and tapered in at the bottom, that's 100% the result of spindle deflection under high drag load.
(line flaring at both top and bottom of the spool is a mediocre oscillation mechanism that doesn't change direction efficiently)
What they've done with the new Stradic FL (and previously with the Stella) is increase the spool length and spindle oscillation, which increases cast distance; also a big main gear, which lets you deliver more torque through the handle.

Here's the Tica Libra SX, which matches the spool/oscillation length of the 2 good Shimanos, and I would say it's 98% as smooth as my Stradic FL
and, no, I would't set this reel drag above 3-1/2 lbs
I also think this is a prettier reel than the Shimano

ps - the Stradic is called the Biomaster in Japan
https://japantackle.com/Shimano_knob_size_chart
and from another thread I posted, the chart says something about the Japanese:
There are 12 US-imported reels listed, v. 49 Japan models covering the same time period.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 08 Nov 2019, 18:07, edited 2 times in total.

Post 09 Nov 2019, 13:47 • #10 
Piscator
one thing shared with the youtube reel takedown guys, a dislike for the rubber T-shaped handle grasp (people have reported fishing through them).
Easy enough to replace with a Shimano Yumeya or Jigging World round handle grasp.
A beefier handle that takes up less space.
ok, the blue trim matches my kayak, and found this as the last item in stock at a Japan vendor, and at half the price of the people who still have these in the US.
Shimano endorsed the Yumeya handle as an upgrade for the older version Stella.

Post 09 Nov 2019, 15:02 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a grip that even I could hold onto.

Post 09 Nov 2019, 19:02 • #12 
Piscator
you can grab it two ways - fingertips on the taper for light touch, and thumb around the circumference for power.
It also only snags about 1/3 of the stray line a T-handle will.

New Topic Add Reply