It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Oct 2019, 19:04 • #1 
Inactive
I have an old spinning rod. Fiberglass of course, but all the info is worn off except a D at the bottom of the handle. The hardware is maroon. Its a nice rod. I seldom use it though, as I'm a flyfisherman. Today was different, with trout season over I went out to a small lake with worms. Caught a bunch of bass. Still... Who made this rod

Post 19 Oct 2019, 20:02 • #2 
Guide
You sure it's not a "G" Garcia Conolon

Post 19 Oct 2019, 23:17 • #3 
Inactive
That was my thought. Its a great rod, classy wrapping. But the d threw me for a loop. I'll take pics. I want new eyes wrapped on it.

Post 20 Oct 2019, 02:34 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
First thoughts Daiwa & Denco, but pictures would sure help, and I'm not sure if you mean on the handle as in the grip or if you mean near the handle on the blank.

Post 20 Oct 2019, 10:07 • #5 
Piscator
except Denco would have an Eagle Claw medallion

Devine comes to mind.
a few other D's
DAM
Dania (Sweden)
Diamondback

a photo is worth a thousand guesses

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 20 Oct 2019, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post 20 Oct 2019, 17:35 • #6 
Inactive
Over the course of 2 days, I caught a slew of bass, bluegill and perch. Fishing about an hour a day. I forgot how easy bait fishing is. I even brought a chair. Of course it would replace my stalking for trout. But this could be something to do on lazy summer days.

Post 20 Oct 2019, 17:48 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
So the "D" is on the butt cap/butt plug? I can't see for sure which the rod is fitted with. In any case, fittings may be definitive for a rod, but usually aren't. They were supplied, usually off the shelf items, not custom to a maker, by OEM suppliers. Fenwick splurged in their purchasing and did have the rubber reel seat plugs customized with the Fenwick logo. But this was only so if you found one streamside, you knew it fell out of a Fenwick, and not any of dozens of other rods that used the same plug minus the logo. So anyhow, that looks like a modestly priced utility spinning rod, and someone will probably recognize the coloration and pale tan section with framing wraps where the factory decal or label would have been. The cap could be specialized to the rod for a company--I can't think of one but there sure could have been--where "D" was big. Or a supplier that put "D" on all their stuff. Or it could be pirated from another rod, or a kitchen stool scuff guard found at a hardware store or any other more or less standard cap or plug sold at a hardware or autoparts store. I hope somebody who remembers a "D" rod will prove me wrong, but I'm thinking the i.d. will come from recognizing other cosmetics.

Post 20 Oct 2019, 19:10 • #8 
Piscator
beauty of a rod - thanks for the photos. Really nice hardware and finish.
I bet that's a Dancraft rod butt and doesn't reflect the rod maker at all.
fwiw, I think if it was Berkley, it would have the heart with B inside

there's obviously a foil missing from the ivory pane in the butt - any chance of another photo to show the shape?
How about ferrule halves?

It would be a really trick combo matched with a Mitchell 410 or so...

Post 23 Oct 2019, 19:23 • #9 
Inactive
I think I'm gonna keep it the way it is. The eyes are steel and a bit rough. Not rusty. Its super slow. Takes all day to set a hook. But its cool. I just forgot how easy spin fishing was. I baited the hook with a worm, casted my line out and watch my bobber. Hmmm

Post 24 Oct 2019, 05:39 • #10 
Piscator
dog walking plugs and subsurface grasswalkers, and bottom bouncing jigs is a whole lot more fun than most bobber fishing, but all fishing has its place.
I always say you can't dog walk a fly rod.

New Topic Add Reply