It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:58

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Sep 2019, 21:59 • #1 
Had a fellow come into the shop who sold me a very, very clean spinning rod for 7 bucks :eek and I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of info on it. I’m going to try to see if I can figure out the picture thing later, but for now, here is a description.

Markings are Wright & McGill “Golden West”, below that is: No. MGW - 8FT

To the left of that is the usual eagle, underneath which is a solid dot, and beneath the dot is: 2-K

Below all that it is marked in two lines: THIS ROD IS EQUIPPED WITH —MiNi FERRULES—

The MiNi FERRULES is enlarged and beneath the first bit.

It is yellow fiberglass, naturally, and the reel seat is brown anodized aluminum, with silver locking rings and hoods. The guides appear to be stainless steel, and the wrappings are a very dark gray (perhaps faded black?) with white contrasts. Cork fore and aft. As above, condition is very minty, almost new, with the only evidence of use being some slight staining of the cork, and a rather dry appearance to the wrappings.

For $7 there was no way I wasn’t going to buy it, especially in the condition I’ve described. But I’m unsure as to when it was made, and what its intended target fish was, although I certainly know how I am going to be using it!

Given the brown anodized reel seat and the SS (chromed?) guides, I’m guessing late ‘60s to early ‘70s, but I’m just guessing as I am thoroughly uneducated in this regard. I have a few of the smaller size Daiwa BG series reels that will undoubtedly look right at home on it, as well as a Penn 713-Z.

Any help gentlemen?

Otony

Post 22 Sep 2019, 22:17 • #2 

Post 22 Sep 2019, 22:17 • #3 
Not perfect pics, but I’m still getting the hang of it.

Post 23 Sep 2019, 01:57 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
If it follows the same time line as fly rods, MiNi FERRULES place it firmly in the "70s I believe and my memory says the yellow puts it in mid-late '70s. I think recall seeing both brown and yellow ~1974-77, but ...
Other guys that collect W&M can probably get you better info, if they happen to see this. I'd make a wild guess the "MGW" stands for "Medium-action Golden West"

Post 23 Sep 2019, 06:18 • #5 
Piscator
8' spinning rods are not very common then or now for any quarry except west coast salmon and steelhead.
It would also be a good inshore rod.
Again, this is one of those threads where we'd learn a lot more with your location provided in your profile.
The finish of the rod is definitely mid-70s.
Writing lure and line weight ranges on spin/bait rods really didn't start until the 80s - the first rod I ever saw with it was a Lew's Speed Stick.

Post 23 Sep 2019, 06:46 • #6 
Walla Walla WA, and whatever it was originally intended for, I’m going to use it as a steelhead rod, so you definitely hit that nail on the head!

Any ideas as to what 2-K might indicate?

Would applying new finish to the guide wrappings be an acceptable maintenance technique?

Post 23 Sep 2019, 07:51 • #7 
Piscator
I've used tung oil on old varnished threads to keep them sealed and pliable.

From looking at limited J&J W-M catalog info (last entry is '67), I'd say MGW-8' is the full model number, and probably doesn't stand for anything else.
Nothing but guess on the 2-K, though it might relate to the blank construction.
J&J also notes W-M is one of the last family-owned tackle companies.
Of course they're still in business, might contact them - somebody there might take interest and have their old catalogs archived.
https://www.eagleclaw.com/about-us/our-history

Post 24 Sep 2019, 11:15 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I have an Eagle Claw Trailmaster M4TMUL-6-1/2 foot fly/spin rod from 1973 in the same yellow color with the same Mini Ferrules & reelseat hardware, same wraps (they are dark brown) and the same script and lure & line weight ratings so they go back at least that far.

There also would have been a round gold medallion on the fore-grip.

Post 24 Sep 2019, 11:18 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The Trailmaster I bought in 1971 is tobacco glass. Looks like they might've changed glass or finish between then and '73. It has mini-ferrules too.

Post 24 Sep 2019, 17:11 • #10 
Thank you to all who have so graciously contributed!

New Topic Add Reply