It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:48

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Oct 2008, 06:04 • #1 
Emeritus
My Ohio River rig for stripers, wipers and drum when I need to go far, deep or total combat style. The Penn reel I've owned since the mid 70's. It's been fished very, very hard and each bruise is a memory. It works perfectly. I just stripped it down to the gears, cleaned, relubed, new bail spring and loaded with Berkely 14lb Iron Silk, it's ready for battle. The rod is a very pretty Abu Garcia recently purchased on the 'bay. I like the tip-in-butt ferrule, very cool implementation of a system I'd have thought was both inferior and homely. This rod and reel rig is heavy but it feels oh so balanced in hand. I can't wait to tie on a 1oz bucktail jig and let fly for the white gold of winter!

The foam grips look really good on this rod and they're very comfortable. This is such a cool light jetty style rig, perfect for jigs and small plugs!

The tip-in-butt ferrule. There's a plug for the bottom of the male that I need to glue back in.

The ferrules lined up ...

And seated.

I think it's a pretty rod, probably late 70's vintage?

Joe C.

Post 09 Oct 2008, 06:35 • #2 
Piscator
nice rig.
That is about the same size spinning gear I use for redfish at the coast.
Only mine is modern - an 8-1/2' Loomis GL2 and Penn 4400SS.
I'm still a fan of the graphite Penn reels - can't tell you now many massive fish I've landed on mine, including Big king mackerel.

Post 09 Oct 2008, 06:47 • #3 
Guide
Joe,
That's a nice set-up. I can't read the specs on the rod. What's the length, action and what lb. line and lure size is it rated for?
I have some Iron Silk 14lb test on my Abu baitcaster. I originally bought it for leader material because it's a nice supple line and seems tough.
Tom.

edit.
Whoops, sorry, I see it's a 70M, I guess it's 7' and medium action (or is it power?)
Tom.

Last edited by Scooter2022 on 09 Oct 2008, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post 09 Oct 2008, 06:57 • #4 
Emeritus
The label states 7-foot, medium action, and 9.8 ounce. All measurement are also given metrically, something I don't see too much. I has a 1/2 to 1 1/4 ounce lure rating and suggested line size of 10lb to 20lb. I'd consider this medium fast action, medium-heavy power. Definitely a rod that will feel at home with a 3/4 ounce tin on the end of the line.

Joe C.

Post 09 Oct 2008, 10:35 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Cornmuse,
Very nice, reel and rod. Bet that reel has some stories attached. I was wondering if you could tell me, does this model 710 have the click/pawl assembly inside the rotor cup or is it attached to the back of the spool? Great pic's, thanks, Respectfully RV Reclus

Post 09 Oct 2008, 11:39 • #6 
Emeritus
The pawl for the click for the drag is on the bottom of the spool. The gear is on the drive shaft, of course. The click associated with the anti-reverse is inside the body. The 710z is functionally identical to the "Greenie", but a different color. All the parts are interchangeable. I wish I still had my original 710 - but it won't be too long before I've replaced it and grabbed for a few other green reels. I feel the need to "stock up" and add a green 710, 712, 716 and maybe a 704 or even a 700. Heck, I might as well go all in!

The reel pictured has caught coho salmon, starry flounder and sea perch in Puget Sound, stripers, blues, fluke and tautog off the Cape, redfish off Padre Island and stripers, cats and drum in the Midwest. It's been fished like no other piece of gear I own and has followed me from high school, through a couple military postings and all the way to Cincinnati since it joined the stable about three decades ago. It's really hard to get excited about any other spinning reel when you've grown up fishing the Penn. Old Otto really knew his stuff!

Joe C.

Post 09 Oct 2008, 18:02 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Your rod is a last ditch offering of their 1977 line, built at the end in 1979 its cosmetically a little behind the super premium 1977 offering, however it was part of the " Custom" series top of the line rods. You will find minor faults Im sure, these rods were finished by people looking to be uniployeed shortly.
Rods that can trace their mfg to the last like yours (1979) are for sure collectors items.
Tell me about your reel, any internal pic's Ive got alot of this series Ive converted to PUM's from the 9500 SS back to the much earlier 700 series. You can still pickup replacement PUM kits and custom Penn cranks for these rods online, at least till the supply drys up. Great Combo,
Richard

New Topic Add Reply