It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:20

New Topic Add Reply
Looking for a 2wt blank
Post 15 Sep 2019, 04:33 • #1 
Sport
Out of the blue came an urge for a spinning rod with more finesse, more flex and more feeling.

I'm looking for a glass blank, 6 ft 2wt, two, three or four piece.

There seems to be a lack of such things in europe.

Any alternatives?

//Markus

Post 15 Sep 2019, 09:28 • #2 
Piscator
probably tough to find a blank, but might look for Japanese rockfish rods - I love my 7'9" XUL, and here's a high-yen 6'6" (with a dumb Japan name)
https://www.tacklejapan.com/category/select/pid/3295

and here's one Brit importer of Japanese rockfish rods
https://www.tronixfishing.com/product/h ... evolution/

Post 15 Sep 2019, 11:50 • #3 
Master Guide
6ft 2wt 3pc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grey-6ft-2wt-3 ... SwVC5c8BWu

I once turned a Sage 473LL fly rod into a spinning rod after cutting off the snake guides and handle and put spinning hardware on it.

Hated it. Too noodley even though it was a 4wt for my tastes. A 2wt might be worse.

Anyway $27 isnt too much.

Post 15 Sep 2019, 13:54 • #4 
Sport
Thanks for the suggestions.
There seems to be a low number of blanks, but i'm really into putting something together.
The "get bent" seems to be the cheapest, even though the cost would be doubled once shipped. I did hesitate because of the spigot ferrules, i would really prefer tip over butt.

About the 2wt being too noodly, i've already tried a 3wt and not quite satisfied with the noodliness(?).
I know that the wt numbers aren't an absolute science. So i guess the only way is the trial and error path.

I've also considered this:
https://www.proofflyfishing.com/collect ... lass-blank

Might be perfect.

There's also the TFO Finesse blanks, but their length does not match my wishes...

Post 15 Sep 2019, 16:00 • #5 
Piscator
that looks perfect.
What you want in an XUL spinning rod is the same thing you want in a good dry fly rod - short soft tip, quick mid.
That's what the rockfish rods do, with an added graphite weave on the butt to give you fish-handling power.
If you noticed, the Breaden rockfish rod I linked is rated 0.3g for the lower lure weight - that's light.
My 7'9" Takamiya is rated down to 0.5g.

Post 01 Oct 2019, 14:52 • #6 
Sport
bulldog1935 wrote:
that looks perfect.
What you want in an XUL spinning rod is the same thing you want in a good dry fly rod - short soft tip, quick mid.
That's what the rockfish rods do, with an added graphite weave on the butt to give you fish-handling power.
If you noticed, the Breaden rockfish rod I linked is rated 0.3g for the lower lure weight - that's light.
My 7'9" Takamiya is rated down to 0.5g.

About the lower rating, i've even seen rods that are rated for 0g, but i've yet to see a bait that light =)

I've posted before about a St. Claire-blank https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64916, and that i've some problems knowing what i really need. I've built a 6'6" 3wt that i like, but now i want to go shorter and weaker. Today i recieved a blank that was stated to be a 6' in length and 2-3 wt. But it really feels more sturdy than the 3wt blank i've used for my latest built rod, so i think it will be laying on the shelf for some time. And i'll be on the hunt again.

I really should be faster on the reply button.

Post 01 Oct 2019, 18:06 • #7 
Guide
guldhamstern wrote:

About the lower rating, i've even seen rods that are rated for 0g, but i've yet to see a bait that light =).

Actually, it’s not that a “0-weight” fly rod is for no weight at all; it loads with about 52 grains whereas a 2-weight ideally loads with 80 grains.

Anyway, since you’re located in Europe, you might try Ben’s Fly Rods of Holland. Or the BLOKE XLSG 6'6" 2-wt 2-piece fibreglass fly rod blanks from the UK.

Another option might be Blue Heron blanks from Japan.

Post 01 Oct 2019, 21:02 • #8 
Sport
PampasPete wrote:
guldhamstern wrote:

About the lower rating, i've even seen rods that are rated for 0g, but i've yet to see a bait that light =).

Actually, it’s not that a “0-weight” fly rod is for no weight at all; it loads with about 52 grains whereas a 2-weight ideally loads with 80 grains.

Anyway, since you’re located in Europe, you might try Ben’s Fly Rods of Holland. Or the BLOKE XLSG 6'6" 2-wt 2-piece fibreglass fly rod blanks from the UK.

Another option might be Blue Heron blanks from Japan.

I was refering to spinning rods with lure weight recomendation interval going from zero =)

Bloke is something to investigate, seems to have a 6' #2.

Post 04 Oct 2019, 06:36 • #9 
You might contact James Green.. He can cut a 2 wt. to meet your needs...

Post 04 Oct 2019, 12:56 • #10 
Piscator
guldhamstern wrote:
I was refering to spinning rods with lure weight recomendation interval going from zero =)

btw, it would help the context if you update location in your profile

New Topic Add Reply