It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:45

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Aug 2019, 20:55 • #1 
Master Guide
Today I took my new (used) 70s Fenwick spinning rod and unused unfished 70s Mitchell 300 for a spin on the Columbia River in my little 14 ft basic aluminum boat. Not very many fisherman today, light intermittent rain in the 80s. Brought a frying pan, stove, breading, lettuce, tarter sauce and buns for lunch. Fished a 3 ounce bottom bouncer and handtied spinner and night crawler. Took close to an hour to get my first fish on this fantastic rod and reel. Just the right size for a few fillet-o-fish sandwiches. I used 10 lb fluorocarbon line on the reel and was concerned I would not feel the bottom very well but was surprised the rod transmits vibrations extremely well. Normally I use graphite and braid. Fished a total of 3 hours and I caught two and my buddy caught two bigger ones of approximately 5 and 7 lbs.

Anyhow Im hooked on this vintage stuff for good.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by fishhuntmike on 30 Aug 2019, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Aug 2019, 07:04 • #2 
Piscator
nice combo, nice photos, nice catch, nice meal, and interesting on several levels.

It would not be legal here (TX) to fillet the fish on the water -
- here, game fish must be filleted on land so a warden can inspect your catch (for size and bag limits) on the water.
It's not legal here even to fillet on a fishing pier unless you can show all your rods were first put away.
Non gamefish, e.g., green seatrout (sand trout) - no such worries - one morning on Galveston Bay, we ran out of bait, and were cutting up the smaller sand trout to catch bigger sand trout, which we ate for dinner that evening. People pier-fishing do the same thing with croaker.

I like your pan, also - I have a couple of teflon camping pans that I've used and defended from abuse for decades.

Both the boat, reel, and swap the rod for a Berkley Trisport, is pretty much how I grew up fishing - and swap the catch for reservoir white bass and inshore seatrout.
We took the boat on a lake campout with Explorer Scouts, ran a trotline overnight, and had enough fresh fried catfish to feed the troop for breakfast. The catfish fillet pieces were deep-fried in a dutch oven over a campfire on a cool spring break morning, and about the best breakfast ever.

Post 30 Aug 2019, 07:14 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Well done!

Post 30 Aug 2019, 10:03 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks and sorry for the TX rules. Interesting rule changes with the mighty Columbia here. WDFW decided several years ago to completely eliminate all rules for smallmouth bass and walleye on the main river and its tributaries. Now no size restriction and no limits. For the longest time the walleye limit was five fish over 18" and only one fish could exceed 24". Surprising the river just keeps pumping out fish and i havent been skunked in the last several years.

Its ashame that many places dont allow fish consumption while on the water or away from port or boat launch as that kinda defeates the purpose of fishing. Humble shore and or boat lunches are one of the most important aspects of my experience when i fish.

Years ago when I had a 12ft aluminum boat i used to set the 2 burner colman stove in the back bench with two frying pans going, rods a trolling, fillet board on middle seat. Spuds and onions cooking in one pan, the other the fish. When we caught a fish, the fish was filleted within 1 - 2 minutes of being caught, breaded, and thrown on the frying pan still quivering.

The only bummer part of my trip yesterday was the fact my buddy doesnt like fish! How unfortunate but at least the rest of his family does.

Post 30 Aug 2019, 12:58 • #5 
Piscator
will have to admit I've caught crappie on a sailboat anchored overnight in a cove and grilled them without hesitation.
Another great use of a Teeny line - let it sink and slowly walk the deck.

Post 07 Nov 2019, 06:40 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
YUM!

Post 07 Nov 2019, 09:56 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Outstanding! Walleye are one of the best freshwater fishes for the table!
Love all the hardware/gear stuff.

New Topic Add Reply