It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:44

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Aug 2019, 13:55 • #1 
Master Guide
40-50 years ago I did a lot of bass fishing with casting gear and built most of my rods. My startups were on Fenwick yellow glass blanks -- mainly CA 686 -- but also a lighter action shorter blank -- IIRC, the CA 626?. Anyway, they worked fine with the Ambassador 5000s as plastic worm rigs or throwing lighter lures with the lighter blank and an Ambassador 2600.. The workmanship was nothing fancy but the rods were rugged and they cast and handled the bass as well as any commercial rods.

I just rediscovered them in the deep back of the basement in a coat of dust.

Just curious, is anybody going retro to glass casting rods in bass fishing?

Heddonist

Post 28 Aug 2019, 15:13 • #2 
Master Guide
When the weather cools down here in Texas I'll be fishing a 5 1 2' Heddon Mark 1. I've got an old Pflueger Supreme or a modern Ambassadeur 4600 to pair it up with. The Mark 1 has a nice bass action flex to it and isn't tippy at all.

Post 28 Aug 2019, 16:33 • #3 
Guide
Dust them off, wipe them down and get them back on the water. I'm sure they will bring you great joy as you fish them all these years later.

Post 30 Aug 2019, 12:54 • #4 
Master Guide
I too found several old Fenwick, Heddon and other assorted fiberglass baitcaster and spinning blanks that I had purchased from a friend many years ago. I've built out a few of the blanks and restored a couple of the factory rods. Thoroughly enjoy using them at every opportunity.

Post 30 Aug 2019, 15:06 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Nice group of rods!

Post 30 Aug 2019, 16:34 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Heddonist, we don't have a distinct baitcasting rod section, but I thought your information and query might get more attention in the "Another Spin . . ." section. Now and then, we have some great coverage of classic casting tackle. I don't know if there's a retro trend, but now that you rediscovered them in the closet, hope you will rediscover fishing with them and give some follow-up stories. You will have to look deeper in the closet for the Jitterbugs and River Runts.

Post 30 Aug 2019, 22:03 • #7 
Master Guide
You've hit a nerve.

When I was a kid 60+ years ago I got hooked on this fishing thing because of lures in in a display case with revolving trays. Long before I ever wet a line, I was mesmerized by the constantly renewing array of gaudy Darerdevils (sp?); Helin Flatfish; Bass O Renos; Hawaiian Wigglers, Johnson Silver Spools, big jointed Musky plugs.... The shop owner ran me off several times for pestering him about how to use those lures.

Then I discovered Field and Stream and Outdoor Life magazines and my fate was sealed by stories about big fish and far waters.

For a kid stuck in big city Detroit it was all magic, It opened a path to me that has not lost its fascination yet.

Heddonist

Post 31 Aug 2019, 06:36 • #8 
Piscator
For me it was the Cabela's catalog, which was all lure-making and rod-building back then. First rod and reel was Heddon light spinning tackle, which at 12-y-o caught trout in the Rockies, and a 3-lb smallie in Lake of the Ozarks.
Locally, we had Pico lures, made in Corpus, along with the equally famous Bingo lures.

Grew up with Jim Thomas Outdoors, local tv on Sunday afternoons, also my first link to fly fishing, and my first WondeRod fly rod at 16, which I made great use catching white bass and endemic river bass.

Growing up, I caught the most fish on a Pico Texas Trailer trolling rig with either a Pico Perch or Bomber up front and a Shyster spinner behind.
My first inshore rod was a 7' Berkley Tri-Sport matched with Mitchell 300, also for reservoir bass fishing - still have the reel, but like a dummy let the rod sell at a wifey's moving garage sale in 1999. Spanish macks on the jetties, including a few doubles, wore out the Mitchell.

Also lost in that garage sale, a Lunkerstick 2000, which I had bought in college to match a Millionaire 6H. My first graphite rod was a 7-1/2' telescoping blade Browning, which I used for inshore and surf, and still have. Surf fishing wore through the worm gear on the Millionaire in the 80s, and Daiwa didn't support the parts even though the reel was only about 5 or 6 years old then. That's when I discovered Lew's and never looked back. My late uncle was big on Lew's Speed Stik.
I'll tell you again guys, I've handled a lot of glass bass rods, and the best of them is Falcon Glass, which still turn up a couple of times/year on ebay.

Baldnobber, love those bladed bait rods.

Post 01 Sep 2019, 09:40 • #9 
Sport
I remember the "Jim Thomas" show. Great stuff for a young sport.
Wrote many a letter for him to air on the show.
Never did happen, but a kid has to hope!!

Post 01 Sep 2019, 10:05 • #10 
Master Guide
Back in Detroit in the black and white TV days, it was the "Michigan Outdoors, Mort Neff Show" -- honest!-- every Thursday at 6:30 PM. Its still available on Youtube.

Heddonist

Post 01 Sep 2019, 13:52 • #11 
Piscator
rudyc wrote:
I remember the "Jim Thomas" show. Great stuff for a young sport.
Wrote many a letter for him to air on the show.
Never did happen, but a kid has to hope!!

aka The Lone Star Sportsman

Post 01 Sep 2019, 18:29 • #12 
Guide
We built a bunch of rods on fenwicks blanks in early 1970s.
Like heddonist we used ca626 and ca624 blanks.most all on brown blanks.
The yellow blanks never got popular in our area.
Started using fenwick handles,but they were to easy to break and the ferrule was not locking and would allow the rod to turn and sometimes slip out
of the handle.
We started using browning handles and ferrules.
Most of the yellow rods built were on wright mcgill blanks.
My favorite spinning rod was built on ca684 blank with a 4,in.extension epoxied in the butt and a cork ring handle,and tape on reel.

Post 01 Sep 2019, 22:24 • #13 
Master Guide
Heddonist,
Growing up we lived within walking distance of the Daredevil headquarters. We used to stop by and just stare at the wall display. It was every model in every color and size. We must have bugged the secretary at the door enough because we would occasionally be gifted a lure, probably so we would leave.
Mort Neff was the man. I have friends who stayed in his cabin on the Au Sable.

Post 02 Sep 2019, 07:40 • #14 
Piscator
swamp wrote:
...how much does a forensic anthropologist make per year?...

not much, but has a lot of time to fish

Post 02 Sep 2019, 08:56 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I think the brown vs yellow is date related rather than popularity of color, yellow Fenwick blanks were from Fenwick (kept diy rods from being confused with factory made) and brown from Woodstream? It seems W&M had brown rods like my Denco first and switched to yellow later, maybe also related to a change in ownership or a move to offshore production? maybe not?

Post 02 Sep 2019, 18:07 • #16 
Guide
We had access to yellow and brown fenwick blanks .This was early 70,s.
We had racks full of factory fenwick rods and blanks.
Casting,spinning and fly .
We did build a few yellow fly rods,but brown was 90% .
Most popular spinning rod was a casting rod blank with an extension
, epoxied in the butt . Ca684 with 4 in section glued in the butt .
The rod ended up being six feet. 16 cork rings for a Tennessee handle,
foulproof wire guides and a carboly tip.Great rod.
Most popular casting rod was ca624 &ca626 brown blank , carboly guides and tip,browning handle,5000c filled with 20lb stern and let's go bass fishing.

A year or so later Fuji guides took over.
Best thing that ever happened to fishing rods.
imho

We built the same rods with Fuji guides.
Those foulproof guides would line cut after a few good
trips and have to be replaced.
I've still got rods from that time with Fuji's that are like new.

Post 06 Sep 2019, 11:00 • #17 
Master Guide
Here's a current project with a yellow Fenwick SC682.

I believe the SC stands for spinning or casting and is 68 inches long with a power rating of (2). The rod actually measures 66.5 inches and since I'll be making it a spinning rod I've added a fiberglass stint to the butt end so I can build a spinning rod handle and not cover the Fenwick label.

And since we're on the subject of old outdoor and fishing shows, growing up in SW Missouri we watched Harold Ensley, "The Sportsman's Friend." His theme song was "Gone Fishin." He would show movies of his fishing and hunting shows and narrate them as they played. I believe he and his shows were out of Kansas City. Often after the movie was over he would demonstrate the lures used in the film in an aquarium. He often promoted a lure called a Reaper. Great show and great memories.

Post 06 Sep 2019, 13:17 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
That'll be a nice rod!

Post 06 Sep 2019, 20:58 • #19 
Piscator
If it has a soft/slow tip, SC stands for spin-cast (Zebco, Johnson, etc.)

saw this example online

Growing up, we fished with a family friend that built a very similar rod from Cabelas, definitely Fenwick yellow glass blank, and fished it with a Johnson spincast reel.

New Topic Add Reply