It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 11:15

New Topic Add Reply
Panama Rods
Post 08 Aug 2019, 09:52 • #1 
Master Guide
Has anyone here ever heard of Panama Rods. Mine is an older rod probably from the 60's with the only markings being Panama Rods 221. Yellow 7' single piece blank, with a taper I would describe as saltwater. Airflo guides, cork grip, nice aluminum reel seat. I would post pictures but I'd have to install Tapatalk and since this is the only forum I read I rather not take up the space on my phone. Thanks.

Re: Panama Rods
Post 09 Aug 2019, 10:47 • #2 
Piscator
Google brings up references to prewar O/C conventional reel and a Harnell rod model (black/red, of course), but Panama City, FL is a major salt fishing and tackle hub.
Wouldn't be a bit surprised for your rod to come from there, or possibly even the Texas coast.
Yellow could be a St. Croix blank, and one-piece is excellent.
Bingo and Pico lures were made in Corpus since before the war, and have major collector followings.
Dr. David McKee may be the guy to contact with a question - https://kristv.com/news/2018/12/09/corp ... professor/ - article links to nice video and his e-mail contact.

It sounds like a well-thought-out salty configuration, and could be a match for inshore, jetties, and even offshore pelagics (kings).
It might even need a green Penn 712 or Mitchell 302.
Wish you'd reconsider the photos thing.

Post 10 Aug 2019, 00:18 • #3 
Master Guide
Thank you for your reply and the link Bulldog. The Penn is exactly what I was thinking the rod needed. A modern size 3000 reel is too light. One of the Penns should be perfect. Your assessment of the rod is spot on. I'm thinking of trying it out on carp and stripers first. One thing about the blank is it has almost no tip bounce. I will reconsider installing Tapatalk. I do miss being a full participant on the forum.

Post 10 Aug 2019, 10:07 • #4 
Piscator
Equating the 714 to a 2500 also equates the 712 to a 3000 - large inshore size - you may want to start looking at the 710, which seem to be fairly abundant on ebay - most people are after the smaller sizes.
Though the Penn sizes are always just a little bit larger and with improved line capacity - Penn's UL sizes are always just a little tougher than everyone else's.
Both my 716 and 4200SS have landed slot redfish. They seem like an intermediate size between UL and 2500.

Post 28 Aug 2019, 17:54 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Would also like to see pics as that rod rings a bell in a 1970s Florida way.I use tapatalk so i can post photos.I am on a first grade level as far as computer tech goes so i feel your pain.But my phone takes crap photos indoors especially.

Post 27 Sep 2019, 20:13 • #6 
Master Guide
Some pictures of the rod as requested. One piece 6'8" blank painted yellow. Spiral wraps and 4 wire guides. Aluminum reel seat complete with corrosion. I need a butt cap but the cork is decent. When you flex the rod it exhibits what I would call a stiff full flex down to the cork.ImageImageImage

Post 29 Sep 2019, 13:54 • #7 
Piscator
curious, I thought I posted here - maybe decided I was too tired...
That's a nice rod, beauty wraps with mylar and very nice cork and hardware for the age.
The style of the guides, Aetna Foulproof, dates the rod, probably to 60s.
Try a magnet - if magnetic, the guides are hard chrome and pretty tough - if nonmagnetic, they're Monel (60% Ni) and totally salt-proof.
Thanks for the photo effort.

Looks and sounds like a great inshore rod to me - perfect action you described.
Boeshield and a toothbrush is a good choice for the aluminum reel seat.

Post 29 Sep 2019, 21:44 • #8 
Master Guide
I must admit I should have downloaded Tapatalk a long time ago. Far easier to use than photobucket. The guides are not magnetic. I cleaned the cork and will be recoating the wraps. The search is on for a butt cap and a suitable reel. Vintage would be preferred but a modern reel that balances correctly would be acceptable. For freshwater I have a 1956 Mitchell 300 or a 1953 pre 300 Mitchell to choose from. The rod may be the best $5.00 I 've ever spent on fishing gear.

Post 30 Sep 2019, 07:34 • #9 
Piscator
I fished a Mitchell 300 inshore and jetties on a Berkley TriSport 7' rod, but ended up mashing (brinelling) the gears on Spanish macks at the jetties.
I would recommend a Penn 714 for the same capacity.

New Topic Add Reply